Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Round 1 : Ronnie O'Sullivan v Ricky Wald

Postby Cannonball

Ronnie will be the best commentator ever, one day. Davis is tops for me, he calls every shot, like he's there himself. Vast knowledge of the game. People who can't play won't like him, they won't understand what he's saying! lol

Postby Wildey

Cannonball wrote:Ronnie will be the best commentator ever, one day. Davis is tops for me, he calls every shot, like he's there himself. Vast knowledge of the game. People who can't play won't like him, they won't understand what he's saying! lol

Steve is a clueless commentator and baffles on like he is deranged if he is tops for you then it says it all about you <doh> <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

Cannonball wrote:Ronnie will be the best commentator ever, one day. Davis is tops for me, he calls every shot, like he's there himself. Vast knowledge of the game. People who can't play won't like him, they won't understand what he's saying! lol

Good job we've got you to explain it to us then. rofl

Postby Cannonball

SnookerFan wrote:

This is true, plenty of 20 odd breakers with no clue about snooker at all. If they can't play the game and make the breaks, how would they understand the game at all? Snooker is a doing thing, you can either play or you can't. If you can't play, you won't understand or truly appreciate the game. This forum is full of snooker in theory types and that's why they don't appreciate Ronnie and Co., because they have no real idea of their genius.

People were insulting Milkins last night, an amazing potter on his day. But they know a lot about snooker because they watch it a lot. rofl rofl rofl
Last edited by Cannonball on 13 Jan 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

Cannonball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

This true, plenty of 20 odd breakers with no clue about snooker at all.

Nobody beats you when it comes to being clueless.

If you dont want to be seen as a complete Joke on here start learning a bit about the game there's a good boy <ok>

Postby Cannonball

Wildey wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

This true, plenty of 20 odd breakers with no clue about snooker at all.

Nobody beats you when it comes to being clueless.

If you dont want to be seen as a complete Joke on here start learning a bit about the game there's a good boy <ok>

So you admit you can't play the game then?! rofl When you hit a ton, you can come and tell me about the game old man. You ain't been there, you ain't done it and you don't own the t-shirt.

Postby Cannonball

Wildey wrote:You don't need to be a Prostitute to know how to shag.

You do need to play well to understand snooker though, to have a REAL and FULL appreciation of the game. I like F1 but I don't attend races, have never been in the pit lane and I haven't driven a car. That makes me a fan, not even close to an expert. A bit like you and snooker.

Postby Cannonball

And what sort of Mod(!) calls 6 times world champion Steve Davis 'clueless', when the whole of pro-snooker acknowledges his expertise on the game not just as a player but also as a fully badged World Snooker coach?

Oh yeah, a mod on this site! C'mon Roland, Snooker Island can do better than this surely?

Postby TheSaviour

Yes, this forum is full of snooker in theory types and that´s quite exactly what I like about this place. Maybe it´s not everyone´s cup of tea, but I certainly like it. If it is a too professional approach then I might found it a bit like watching a grass to grow or a paint to dry.

I was about to write that now it is a once again time to Ronnie to really rocket up the venue and tournament. But then I just found that Marco already made a 147 and watched it. And YES, it was really great. Some relatively strange positional shots of which I really liked.

Postby Cannonball

TheSaviour wrote:Yes, this forum is full of snooker in theory types and that´s quite exactly what I like about this place. Maybe it´s not everyone´s cup of tea, but I certainly like it. If it is a too professional approach then I might found it a bit like watching a grass to grow or a paint to dry.

I was about to write that now it is a once again time to Ronnie to really rocket up the venue and tournament. But then I just found that Marco already made a 147 and watched it. And YES, it was really great. Some relatively strange positional shots of which I really liked.

Smashing 147, in control almost all of the way. It was a quiet and calm 147 if that makes sense? He's the coolest of cats.

Postby Wildey

Cannonball wrote:
Wildey wrote:You don't need to be a Prostitute to know how to shag.

You do need to play well to understand snooker though, to have a REAL and FULL appreciation of the game. I like F1 but I don't attend races, have never been in the pit lane and I haven't driven a car. That makes me a fan, not even close to an expert. A bit like you and snooker.

My problem with that statement is you don't have a REAL and FULL appreciation of the game.

Because if you had you would appreciate all type of play and players and you clearly haven't got that appreciation of the game.

some of your statements equals someone who thinks the sport is easy and all players should be playing in the same way.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I disagree that you have to play snooker on a high level to understand the game. And that applies to any sport. Of course you should play snooker at least a couple of times to get a real impression of the difficulty and the technical aspects.

However with a keen sense of observation you'll learn everything you need to know about the game. By watching the game on the top level you soon start to understand which shots are difficult and what the fine margins between success and failure are. Clive Everton biggest career win was reaching the last 32 once in 1982 and no one is doubting that he's one of the most knowledgeable snooker experts in the world.

Regarding Steve Davis: I like Steve and I appreciate his comments, however I get why some people are critical of him. And that's manly because he's often like a leaf in the wind with his assessments (like suddenly saying Higgins is the greatest player of all time after winning the 2011 World Championship and so on...)

Postby hendry_fan

:cracker: *Happy birthday Stephen*!. :cracker:

I,m expecting nuthin less from Walden than to knock in at least 3 tons and to send the rocket packin,deep into outer space,in fact right into the asteroid belt would do,so he,ll get hit by one!. :-D

Postby SnookerFan

hendry_fan wrote::cracker: *Happy birthday Stephen*!. :cracker:

I,m expecting nuthin less from Walden than to knock in at least 3 tons and to send the rocket packin,deep into outer space,in fact right into the asteroid belt would do,so he,ll get hit by one!. :-D

Unlikely, I'd say.

Like yesterday with Robertson and Milkins, the same principle applies. Ronnie still needs to do the job, and if he takes Walden lightly you can believe that Walden won't be doing the same to him.

Walden has beaten Ronnie in a ranking event final in the past, so isn't some mug. The real issue is how well Walden will be able to forget to the drubbing Ronnie gave him last year. Ronnie the most naturally talented player of all time, so you'll need to be 100% focussed to even stand a chance of beating him. 99.5% focussed isn't enough.

My opinion is that Ronnie is in too much form to let Walden off this one. And even an out of form Ronnie, you wonder how much Walden's scars from last year will impact him.

I like Walden, but this match has a Ronnie win written all over it.

Postby Andre147

hendry_fan wrote::cracker: *Happy birthday Stephen*!. :cracker:

lol hendry_fan... would be awesome if Ronnie managed to break Hendry's record right here, right now on his birhtday :D

I doubt he will though, might make 1 or 2 tons, but I dont care, the record will be broken in this tournament if he beats Walden.

Regarding what SO said earlier, I couldnt agree more. My highest break has remained for a long time on 27 and just because I cant hit 80 or 90 breaks that makes me less knowledgeable? rofl Of course not, and you know what all this fuss is remainding me about? It's remainding me of one deluded comment Michael Holt once made on Twitter, when at the time if memory serves me correct I think he also said you have to be a pro to fully understand the difficulty of the game rofl

Anyway, not long now for the match to start.

Postby Andre147

Agree with SnookerFan that Walden has as much chance of beating Ronnie than Milkins had v Robbo.

Walden too might make things interesting if he starts well like Milkins did, but no way will Ronnie let this one slip away.

Postby hendry_fan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I disagree that you have to play snooker on a high level to understand the game. And that applies to any sport. Of course you should play snooker at least a couple of times to get a real impression of the difficulty and the technical aspects.

However with a keen sense of observation you'll learn everything you need to know about the game. By watching the game on the top level you soon start to understand which shots are difficult and what the fine margins between success and failure are. Clive Everton biggest career win was reaching the last 32 once in 1982 and no one is doubting that he's one of the most knowledgeable snooker experts in the world.

Regarding Steve Davis: I like Steve and I appreciate his comments, however I get why some people are critical of him. And that's manly because he's often like a leaf in the wind with his assessments (like suddenly saying Higgins is the greatest player of all time after winning the 2011 World Championship and so on...)

:goodpost: ="I disagree that you have to play snooker on a high level to understand the game. And that applies to any sport. Of course you should play snooker at least a couple of times to get a real impression of the difficulty and the technical aspects.

However with a keen sense of observation you'll learn everything you need to know about the game. By watching the game on the top level you soon start to understand which shots are difficult and what the fine margins between success and failure are. Clive Everton biggest career win was reaching the last 32 once in 1982 and no one is doubting that he's one of the most knowledgeable snooker experts in the world". :goodpost:

As far as Davis is concerned,the BIGGEST waffle he keeps spoutin out,and spouts out every single year is his famous,..."The standards so high these days",the way he says it,it,s as if he means it,s the highest it,s ever been and that all of todays crop clear up in 1 visit in every frame,hardly loose position,etc,BIGGGG yawn!. :zzz: :zzz:

Very Big breaks,70 odd/80+ and centurys are great,no doubt,but don,t forget,it still only wins you 1 frame!.

It,s highly disrespectful to the players who played to a high standard in the 80,s,especially the 90,s,00,s.

The breakbuilding has indeed improved,but that alone does.nt mean to say that the players in other eras were rubbish,many players of the 90,s/00,s eras could compete with the current crop,the style of play was just a bit different,these days there are more Big breaks mainly cause theres much more tournaments played and cause a lot of players go for them more rather than to shoot a 40,50 odd,then play safe,be patient and then wait for another opportunity to then grab another good few points.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I disagree that you have to play snooker on a high level to understand the game. And that applies to any sport. Of course you should play snooker at least a couple of times to get a real impression of the difficulty and the technical aspects.

you learn more about the game and how players play differently by observing.

Talking of Steve Davis he once said ive learned more since ive been working for the BBC than i did as a player and what he meant by that was he observed how different players played a shot that he never thought of.

theres a difference between knowing the right shot to play and playing the shot many players would love to play like Ronnie but they have to play to their strengths to try and be the best they can and playing like Ronnie isnt a option.

Hendry could never played like Judd because he hasent got the cue power. Judd Screws to balk from a long red Hendry played for black or Blue.

Postby Andre147

Can't believe Cannonball alone generated all this talk about not understanding the game if you're not a good player <laugh>

Anyway, match will probably only start at 1:10 given the BBC usual stuff.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Some "hilarious" banter from Hendry and Davis. :zzz:

Talking of which, these Pro File things are really cringe worthy.

Nonsense if you ask me pmsl all those silly graphics look like a Portal game <laugh>