Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Round 1 : Mark Selby v Shaun Murphy !

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:All this mid session interval stuff has been recycled a 100 times. I appreciate these features but they could make new ones once in a while.

True, but that 2005 win for Ronnie.

one of his best ever performances, this CoC Final one is up there aswell. :-D

Postby Cannonball

That's right Ken, lots of memorable moments, you and the Beeb won't be broadcasting cuz punters selling antiques for £10 on tv takes precedent.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Skullman wrote:Buckets. That red hit the cushion miles away from the pocket.

I've noticed those types of shots always go in nowadays. In days gone by, there would be no chance of a pot going in if it touched the cushion.

I think we have to double check that though. Memories can be misleading sometimes. I'm sure the tables weren't perfect in 2005, 1995 and 1985 neither.

Superfine clothes do help balls in more when the cloth is new.

i don't understand the need to change cloths after 3 or 4 days as they do now

The thing about the red Murphy potted is it didn't just glance the cushion, it hit the cushion quite full on and still it went in.

Postby Clara8633

Andre147 wrote:Anyway, hopefully Shaun Will push on, Selby we all know loves to play his best when behind in a match.

Then I hope he does a comeback from 5-1 behind again like he did against Bingham in this same round two years ago :-D
Last edited by Clara8633 on 11 Jan 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Cannonball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Skullman wrote:Buckets. That red hit the cushion miles away from the pocket.

I've noticed those types of shots always go in nowadays. In days gone by, there would be no chance of a pot going in if it touched the cushion.

I think we have to double check that though. Memories can be misleading sometimes. I'm sure the tables weren't perfect in 2005, 1995 and 1985 neither.

Superfine clothes do help balls in more when the cloth is new.

i don't understand the need to change cloths after 3 or 4 days as they do now

The thing about the red Murphy potted is it didn't just glance the cushion, it hit the cushion quite full on and still it went in.

Balls drop on all new cloths and the cushions or rather the Northern Rubber helps too. The Strachan 6811 (used in all WS events) is a West of England pure wool baize shaved very close. This is why it has to be changed after a few days; that's all the life it's got in it at manufacture. Not cheap either, still the best part of £500. Even a full napped 6811 will only last a few months before deteriorating. Good tables ain't cheap.

Postby Skullman

Clara8633 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Anyway, hopefully Shaun Will push on, Selby we all know loves to play his best when behind in a match.

Then I hope he does a comeback from 5-1 behind again like he did against Bingham in R1 two years ago :-D

How about 1-3 to 6-3 instead?

Postby Clara8633

Skullman wrote:
Clara8633 wrote:

Then I hope he does a comeback from 5-1 behind again like he did against Bingham in R1 two years ago :-D

How about 1-3 to 6-3 instead?

Even better. But I don't think that's very likely here.

Postby Clara8633

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Being World Champion doesn't seem to suit Selby :gag:

He likes being the underdog, not being in the spotlight expected to perform...

I thought he'd do better in the Masters despite that.

Postby Skullman

Considering he's been a top four player for the best part of four years, he's done pretty well for someone who doesn't play well in the limelight.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:

Considering he's been a top four player for the best part of four years, he's done pretty well for someone who doesn't play well in the limelight.

Obviously he's a very consistent top player, however I think it's pretty clear that he had problems to perform when he was favourite for the title (2012 World Championship for example, ...) or defending champion (2009 Masters for example) in finals. Being World Champion is extra pressure and Mark isn't dealing particularly well with it from what we have seen so far this season.

Postby Clara8633

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:

Obviously he's a very consistent top player, however I think it's pretty clear that he had problems to perform when he was favourite for the title (2012 World Championship for example, ...) or defending champion in finals. Being World Champion is extra pressure and Mark isn't dealing particularly well with it from what we have seen so far this season.

I seriously doubt it's the pressure that's causing him to play this badly. He did well to win the Riga Open shortly after the WC.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Clara8633 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:

Obviously he's a very consistent top player, however I think it's pretty clear that he had problems to perform when he was favourite for the title (2012 World Championship for example, ...) or defending champion in finals. Being World Champion is extra pressure and Mark isn't dealing particularly well with it from what we have seen so far this season.

I seriously doubt it's the pressure that's causing him to play this badly. He did well to win the Riga Open shortly after the WC.

That was only a PTC though.

Postby Clara8633

Skullman wrote:5-1. Not seeing a comeback here.

Maybe the Welsh or German Masters will be the kick start to his season...

I'm going to be more negative than that and say that he'll start playing well again next season.

And Murphy will definitely win this in my opinion.
Last edited by Clara8633 on 11 Jan 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Clara8633

Skullman wrote:
Clara8633 wrote:I seriously doubt it's the pressure that's causing him to play this badly. He did well to win the Riga Open shortly after the WC.

And he got to the semis in Shanghai.

Exactly. Then it all went wrong from there, notably the IC qualifiers and the UK which I would like to forget very soon.