Post a reply

Re: Coral U K Championship Final : O'Sullivan v Trump !

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:By the way Ronnie has now the chance to win the triple crown in the same season. He has never done it before unlike Hendry or Williams. I'm not saying he will and even if he loses every match in 2015 no one can take this away from him but the chance is there.

Problem is he typically doesn't have a good Masters after winning the UK.

1994 Masters - Lost 5-1 to Taylor (!) in the wildcard round. (I'll chalk that to youth and inexperience)
1998 Masters - Lost 6-3 to Davis (QF)
2002 Masters - Lost 6-5 to White (QF)
2008 Masters - Lost 6-5 to Mags (L16)

True. But anything is possible with Ronnie these days <cool>

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:By the way Ronnie has now the chance to win the triple crown in the same season. He has never done it before unlike Hendry or Williams. I'm not saying he will and even if he loses every match in 2015 no one can take this away from him but the chance is there.

1994 Masters - Lost 5-1 to Taylor (!) in the wildcard round. (I'll chalk that to youth and inexperience)

I wont be thinking about that, would be incredible but such a hard feat really. Selby had a chance in the 2012/2013 season but didnt quite do it.

Think the only ones are MJW and Hendry if memory serves me correctly.

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:

There is always a danger that you can get quite a bit relaxed after winning the UK and not putting the hours in at the practice table as you basicially feel, you've already done enough for the whole season. I'm not saying, that's the reason but it can play a part.
Last edited by TheRocket on 08 Dec 2014, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Andy Spark

Thank God Ronnie didn't become "the man who lost a triple crown from 5 up with 6 to play"...I think those last two frames gave me my highest heart rate yet for a Ronnie match! I am only just recovering. :dizzy:

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ronnie turned into a winning machine since 2012. His match play reached a peak John Higgins level now.

The best ever Ronnie O'Sullivan.

It is, everything is there, he's the fully complete player now :-D If he loses these days (apart from German Masters qualifiers rofl ) it's not because his head isnt in the right place but because his opponent played better, simple as that.

Not saying in the past Ronnie didnt lose playing his best, because he did, 2006 Masters Final springs to mind, but this is a newborn Ronnie alltogether.

Dont forget SO,it all started after that Higginson match :D :D :D

Postby Andre147

Anyway, I definately need to go to bed now, wake up early tomorrow <ok>

Cant still quite believe it, such a great and incredible win, Ronnie is like a fine wine, getting better with age :D :D :D

:win: :clap: :clap: :win:
Last edited by Andre147 on 08 Dec 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Was today even better than the 2010 UK final?

Is right up there, I'd actually say no because Higgins did complete the comeback from 9-5 down, after in one frame needing a snooker, and the decider was tighter than here.

Dont get me wrong though, this is one of the very best Finals ever in Snooker :-D

Off to bed now :zzz:

Ronnie :clap: :win: :clap:

Postby Andy Spark

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:Thank God Ronnie didn't become "the man who lost a triple crown from 5 up with 6 to play"...I think those last two frames gave me my highest heart rate yet for a Ronnie match! I am only just recovering. :dizzy:

Plenty of time for that now <cool>

Yes. :D :win:

Postby Jester82

Andre147 wrote:As usual, the likes of Vodka, jester, AlexOPaul and a few others don't congratulate Ronnie pmsl if it were Judd winning this, would have been very hard to take, but I, like I always do, would be one of the first to congratulate him. Like I congratulated Selby on his World Champs win.

Always the same between them, not that I mind in the slighest or need their appreciation for Ronnie winning this, but it's just funny really. :chuckle:

you are so gracious, apostle Andre. Has Ronnie broken bread with you yet?

Postby Jester82

Rocket13x147 wrote:Broken ankle wins the UK!

147 apart, he played rubbish and still won the title. What do you Selby, Trump, Robbo, supporters think is going to happen when he's fully fit and hitting tons?

I'll tell you; Masters No.6.

Rocket!

Sorry, you got spunk all over your face, please wash it off!

Postby SnookerFan

This may sound silly, but Ronnie has looked a much improved player in the last couple of seasons. He was always massively talented, of course. But he would often lose games because his mentality wasn't right. He seems to have sorted that out now.

I actullay reckon he'd be a ten time world cha!lion if he'd been like this his entire career.

He'll win The Crucible this year, in my opinion.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:This may sound silly, but Ronnie has looked a much improved player in the last couple of seasons. He was always massively talented, of course. But he would often lose games because his mentality wasn't right. He seems to have sorted that out now.

I actullay reckon he'd be a ten time world cha!lion if he'd been like this his entire career.

He'll win The Crucible this year, in my opinion.

Postby Muppet147

SnookerFan wrote:In fact, I will go as far as to say the Ronnie will win at least two more world championships and equal Hendry's record. He'd have done it already if he'd found this inner peace earlier in his career.

I think he will certainly win at least one more.

Selby is one of the few people who can cause him problems but I would be surprised if Selby reaches the world final again this year.

Postby TheRocket

Muppet147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:In fact, I will go as far as to say the Ronnie will win at least two more world championships and equal Hendry's record. He'd have done it already if he'd found this inner peace earlier in his career.

Selby is one of the few people who can cause him problems but I would be surprised if Selby reaches the world final again this year.

Selby, Robertson and Trump are probably the three players who can cause him the biggest problems and I'm sure, Ronnie will play at least one of them. If Ron was playing the standard he played at the 2012 and 2013 WC, he would be clear favourite for me. But atm , his one visit-game is not up to the standard he can play.

So I hope, that improves.

Postby NNear

It could just be a blip, but at the moment Ronnie's long game is sometimes suspect and he's lost a little fluency. Perhaps that's just for this UK Championships... perhaps he couldn't prepare as thoroughly as usual for the event, but his game felt roughly similar at the World Championships, so it's been like this for two Majors on the trot...

I'm not going to assume Ronnie will win another WC but do believe he has more titles in him, including a few rankers, which may or may not include more Triple Crown event wins.

Perhaps it would be surprising if this was his last Triple Crown event victory, but the glory can end at any time. He's probably more likely to extend his current TC tally of 15 though, than to see it end there.

I've followed Ronnie O'Sullivan my whole life... even as a kid watching him come onto the scene in the 90's. Every victory is sweet in the context of his whole career, and remembering especially his win at the German Masters in 2012 is particularly poignant for me, after believing myself that Ronnie might be more or less done on the very biggest stages, firmly thinking he had underachieved.

The match against Higginson, the finals win over Maguire were critical. Ronnie's reaction after that match said it all. In hindsight perhaps it's the most important tournament in his career, or the one that had the biggest knock on effect afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7PwotY-_uw

It's actually my favourite moment of Ronnie's career so far. I kid you not -- it isn't any of the World Championships or the UK Titles or the Masters; it's the 2012 German Masters.

Glory can end at any time. Ronnie looks good for a while yet, but take nothing for granted.

Postby Cannonball

Woke up, it was a beautiful morning with Ronnie on top of the World! Ah, the sunny is shining and Ronnie is the best player on the planet. Life is good, cheer up haters. Happy Xmas Ronnie, another title to unwrap.

Get in!
[size=200]

Postby Cannonball

NNear wrote:It could just be a blip, but at the moment Ronnie's long game is sometimes suspect and he's lost a little fluency. Perhaps that's just for this UK Championships... perhaps he couldn't prepare as thoroughly as usual for the event, but his game felt roughly similar at the World Championships, so it's been like this for two Majors on the trot...

I'm not going to assume Ronnie will win another WC but do believe he has more titles in him, including a few rankers, which may or may not include more Triple Crown event wins.

Perhaps it would be surprising if this was his last Triple Crown event victory, but the glory can end at any time. He's probably more likely to extend his current TC tally of 15 though, than to see it end there.

I've followed Ronnie O'Sullivan my whole life... even as a kid watching him come onto the scene in the 90's. Every victory is sweet in the context of his whole career, and remembering especially his win at the German Masters in 2012 is particularly poignant for me, after believing myself that Ronnie might be more or less done on the very biggest stages, firmly thinking he had underachieved.

The match against Higginson, the finals win over Maguire were critical. Ronnie's reaction after that match said it all. In hindsight perhaps it's the most important tournament in his career, or the one that had the biggest knock on effect afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7PwotY-_uw

It's actually my favourite moment of Ronnie's career so far. I kid you not -- it isn't any of the World Championships or the UK Titles or the Masters; it's the 2012 German Masters.

Glory can end at any time. Ronnie looks good for a while yet, but take nothing for granted.

Damn right, let's enjoy the ride while it lasts, as the Genius says. But until the Masters, Ronnie is the best player in the world! :mosh2:

Postby SnookerFan

Muppet147 wrote:

Selby may well be concentrating more on family than practice the next few months, so I wouldn't be surprised either.

Postby Cannonball

SnookerFan wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:

Selby may well be concentrating more on family than practice the next few months, so I wouldn't be surprised either.

rofl I thought only disgraced tory MPs used the family excuse? rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Cannonball wrote:
rofl I thought only disgraced tory MPs used the family excuse? rofl

Merely pointing out that looking after a newborn is hard work, and often leads to sleep deprivation. It wouldn't be the most surprising thing ever if his practice suffers.