Post a reply

Re: Coral U K Championship Final : O'Sullivan v Trump !

Postby mantorok

That was somewhat of a roller-coaster of a final, at 9-4 up I thought Judd might relax a bit and move up with some fluency and pull a few back, but a decider? Didn't see that.

2 things that have come out of that final for me:

1) Ronnie cares, he cares a lot these days, this comes with age naturally and the fact that every win really is a masive bonus given the juncture of his career, and this imo is his only trait in his game at the moment, his emotions might affect his game.

2) Judd was awesome from 9-4, simply awesome, he demonstrated that he can play at the very top level for several frames, some of the breaks and single-visit frames were really impressive, this guys going to be WC at least once if he continues like this, he just needs to bring that to the table earlier on in the matches.

Had Ronnie won 10-4 or 10-5 I don't think it would've been quite as important a win as it is now, winning in a deciding frame in a final is a true test of nerve and character, I said if he didn't clear up he deserved to lose, and I'm sorry but he did, if you are to win at this game you have to handle golden chances like that otherwise you lose at the mercy of your own nerves.

Of course we have to mention World Title no. 6, it's not going away, a Judd/Ronnie world final would be fairy-tale next year and for once I would probably be fairly neutral if it ever happened as anyone who can beat Ronnie in any final deserves it, Selby gained massive respect this year when he did it, and Judd would too if he did. But Ronnie will make get another world title, it might be next year, it might be in the next 5 years, but there will be an opportunity where the draw opens up and he gets the chance to do it, the odds are in his favour.

5-5-5 at this stage of his career actually does him justice, and he's even done that against the in-form players of this generation, who would've thought? :D

Postby Cannonball

mantorok wrote:That was somewhat of a roller-coaster of a final, at 9-4 up I thought Judd might relax a bit and move up with some fluency and pull a few back, but a decider? Didn't see that.

2 things that have come out of that final for me:

1) Ronnie cares, he cares a lot these days, this comes with age naturally and the fact that every win really is a masive bonus given the juncture of his career, and this imo is his only trait in his game at the moment, his emotions might affect his game.

2) Judd was awesome from 9-4, simply awesome, he demonstrated that he can play at the very top level for several frames, some of the breaks and single-visit frames were really impressive, this guys going to be WC at least once if he continues like this, he just needs to bring that to the table earlier on in the matches.

Had Ronnie won 10-4 or 10-5 I don't think it would've been quite as important a win as it is now, winning in a deciding frame in a final is a true test of nerve and character, I said if he didn't clear up he deserved to lose, and I'm sorry but he did, if you are to win at this game you have to handle golden chances like that otherwise you lose at the mercy of your own nerves.

Of course we have to mention World Title no. 6, it's not going away, a Judd/Ronnie world final would be fairy-tale next year and for once I would probably be fairly neutral if it ever happened as anyone who can beat Ronnie in any final deserves it, Selby gained massive respect this year when he did it, and Judd would too if he did. But Ronnie will make get another world title, it might be next year, it might be in the next 5 years, but there will be an opportunity where the draw opens up and he gets the chance to do it, the odds are in his favour.

5-5-5 at this stage of his career actually does him justice, and he's even done that against the in-form players of this generation, who would've thought? :D

He/they retired Hendry, he's seen off his own generation and now he's toasting the current generation. I never saw that coming. I really thought he'd carry through on his retirement threats because he was so unhappy in life and snooker. And as we now know, he wasn't well in his mind. I thank all the stars that he fought through and prevailed because for Ronnie, the demons are his biggest opponents, not other players. He's learnt to handle in-match pressure better and copes better with victory/defeat. It's been brilliant watching him the last five years, he's put a lot of smiles on a lot faces worldwide. :hatoff:

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:I'd only had about four hours sleep the night before. After it went 9-9, I must've dropped off. I suddenly woke up wondering why they were interviewing Trump.

rofl rofl rofl

Man that's the funniest sh I heard all year!

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:
I think he will certainly win at least one more.

Selby is one of the few people who can cause him problems but I would be surprised if Selby reaches the world final again this year.

Selby may well be concentrating more on family than practice the next few months, so I wouldn't be surprised either.

It's already taking its toll isn't it?

Anyhow, over the years the less consistent players always fail to defend world titles or reach the final, not to mention the Crucible curse...

Postby NNear

1993 UK def. Stephen Hendry 10–6
1995 Masters def. John Higgins 9–3
1997 UK def. Stephen Hendry 10–6
2001 UK def. Ken Doherty 10–1
2001 WSC def. John Higgins 18–14

2004 WSC def. Graeme Dott 18–8
2005 Masters def. John Higgins 10–3
2007 UK def. Stephen Maguire 10–2
2007 Masters def. Ding Junhui 10–3
2008 WSC def. Ali Carter 18–8

2009 Masters def. Mark Selby 10–8
2012 WSC def. Ali Carter 18–11
2013 WSC def. Barry Hawkins 18–12
2014 Masters def. Mark Selby 10–4
2014 UK def. Judd Trump 10–9

So for his 15 Triple Crown titles to date, Ronnie has beaten these players: Hendry, J.Higgins, Doherty, Dott, Maguire, Ding, Carter, Selby, Trump. Overall then you could say he's beaten 3-4 generations of players in Major finals:

- Older generation: Hendry

- His own gen.: Doherty, Higgins, Dott (maybe shove Dott into 'The next gen.' in terms of when he became relevant)

- The next gen.: Carter, Maguire, Selby

- The youngest: Ding, Trump

If he had beat Steve Davis in the 1997 Masters then it could have looked even more impressive.

It just goes to show his longevity in the game.

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I'd only had about four hours sleep the night before. After it went 9-9, I must've dropped off. I suddenly woke up wondering why they were interviewing Trump.

rofl rofl rofl

Man that's the funniest sh I heard all year!

I was like; "Seems a bit inappropriate. He's got to play a deciding frame...." rofl

Last year, I had the UK Championship booked off work, and I'd been in the pub for a 'quick lunch time beer'. Anyway, they offered to put the snooker on the big screen. So I said I'd watch the first frame. It ended up being the game in which Ronnie thrashed Milkins so I stayed for a few beers for the whole match.

I nipped back, sat on my bed and put the next match on. I got a bit comfortable, and the next thing I remember being aware of was that there was some cookery show on.

Postby mantorok

NNear wrote:Break Off interview with Ronnie O'Sullivan after the final...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RIlCg8CFSk

What he said in the end hit the nail on the head, he had to reinvent himself in order to stay in the game, and I've always said the reason Hendry deteriorated was because he wasn't willing to change his game, he kept playing his 90's attacking style that (to be fair) made him dominate, where-as Ronnie has re-adjusted in order to keep himself competing, he upped his mental strengh and tactical prowess because he knew he couldn't just keep blowing people off the table, very impressive.

Despite such a train-wreck of emotions during his career he has come out the true sportsman, he's actually become one of the best role-models for the sport, sure not everyone's going to like him but you can't argue that as a sportsman applying himself to his trade it has to be comended to the very highest level.

Postby NNear

He's certainly becoming an even bigger credit to the game for the reasons you've stated and his conquering of the self, if you will, adds further credence. Let's hope the changes are for good and that he'll accept his decline (moderately) gracefully when it comes and that he remains happy in his life and also in his commitment to the sport. I realise he doesn't play every event but he's still promoting the sport and inspiring the next generation alongside Selby, Robertson, Ding, Trump and others. The impressive thing is that he hasn't faded alongside this newer generation of players.

It's interesting that Ronnie thinks Judd can or probably will become a leading player at some point in the future above all others, but that he likely won't dominate because there are other very high level top competitors in the sport.

Postby NNear

It's true that Hendry was stubborn, but it just goes to show though how utterly devastating his open game was. He would stand toe-to-toe with Ronnie, no question. However, Ronnie has become a better balanced player -- very complete. Hendry at his best though was so scary as we know. Ronnie knows it all too well as well. Trump's rampage toward the end of the match was Hendry-esque.

It's perhaps the popular opinion (at least here?) that John Higgins is the most rounded, complete player ever but Ronnie is also very well rounded and very strong in all areas. Hendry was the most ruthless and fearless.

Postby Dan-cat

I was busy all day yesterday helping my girlfriend run her pop-up restaurant (I'm in charge of DJing and washing up, the best and worst jobs) and I managed to avoid the result so I could watch on the iplayer. I knew it was 5 - 3 at the mid session, but then put my phone on airplane mode (couldn't risk my snooker buddies texting me.)

Strangely, as I got in my car at 10:33 exactly to head home I had a strong vision of Ronnie holding the trophy. It just appeared in my head. I got home, put the iplayer on, watched the evening session. Does anyone know what time he was actually holding the trophy?

What a match. This tournament has been a belter! I had several non-snooker fans gripped through the last week.

Postby Skullman

Dan-cat wrote:I was busy all day yesterday helping my girlfriend run her pop-up restaurant (I'm in charge of DJing and washing up, the best and worst jobs) and I managed to avoid the result so I could watch on the iplayer. I knew it was 5 - 3 at the mid session, but then put my phone on airplane mode (couldn't risk my snooker buddies texting me.)

Strangely, as I got in my car at 10:33 exactly to head home I had a strong vision of Ronnie holding the trophy. It just appeared in my head. I got home, put the iplayer on, watched the evening session. Does anyone know what time he was actually holding the trophy?

What a match. This tournament has been a belter! I had several non-snooker fans gripped through the last week.

Round about 10:05 I think? I was already out of the arena and walking back at 10:10.

Postby NNear

masterdoctorgenius wrote:has any1 a good proxy for the bbc iplayer. Cant find any. everytime the window appears only for UK viewers.

Want to watch the bbc coverage and what Hazel, JP and SD had to say between frames

I looked into this and found that it's much harder than it used to be some years ago (haven't needed to do this for a long time). I naively assumed it would be as easy as always.

I don't know if this will work for you and it looks slightly dodgy. I've just tried it myself and it seems to work but I'm testing from the UK itself so I can't guarantee it. Will PM you now.

Postby vodkadiet

Anyone who thinks that was a good final is deluded. It was dire up until 9-5. The worst final I have seen in recent times by far. Trump playing well for a few frames when the match was all but lost doesn't make it a good match. The BBC pundits have now reached an all time low in their assessments of certain players, and the overall standard of play. Steve Davis and John Parrott need to thrown in to an old folks home.

O'Sullivan played average snooker this week, and yet won because he played players who were either inexperienced(McGill, Woollaston), didn't have the belief(Bingham, Trump), or were completely out of their depth and gushing about playing their hero and looked like they couldn't even hold a cue(Selt).

As for the UK. It is certainly a far lesser event than it once was. Best of 11s for semis in an event which was best of 17s from the start at one point, has totally devalued it, and it is now on a par with The Welsh Open.

O'Sullivan may have won this devalued event, but he was left wanting at The Crucible, and that is the abiding memory of 2014.

Trump was pathetic yesterday, but I think at least by getting close in the end, he will think that O'Sullivan isn't that great any more and I think he will has his measure from here on in.

Postby Cannonball

vodkadiet wrote:Anyone who thinks that was a good final is deluded. It was dire up until 9-5. The worst final I have seen in recent times by far. Trump playing well for a few frames when the match was all but lost doesn't make it a good match. The BBC pundits have now reached an all time low in their assessments of certain players, and the overall standard of play. Steve Davis and John Parrott need to thrown in to an old folks home.

O'Sullivan played average snooker this week, and yet won because he played players who were either inexperienced(McGill, Woollaston), didn't have the belief(Bingham, Trump), or were completely out of their depth and gushing about playing their hero and looked like they couldn't even hold a cue(Selt).

As for the UK. It is certainly a far lesser event than it once was. Best of 11s for semis in an event which was best of 17s from the start at one point, has totally devalued it, and it is now on a par with The Welsh Open.

O'Sullivan may have won this devalued event, but he was left wanting at The Crucible, and that is the abiding memory of 2014.

Trump was pathetic yesterday, but I think at least by getting close in the end, he will think that O'Sullivan isn't that great any more and I think he will has his measure from here on in.

You make some interesting points though your emphasis is a bit skewed. The beeb team alluded to the idea that Ronny was on his C game. Davis in my opinion, is the most knowledgeable of all the pundits when it comes to snooker, calling shots and understanding things. I don't agree with him on the topic of sighting down the cue, but that's debatable as a topic from all angles ( rofl ). It's not that the UK is a devalued event (though we all agree about 11 frames being insufficient as a proper test on here), it's just that other events have made it a bit more ordinary and we should thank WS and Hearn for that. Because without those events abroad, we'd really be stuck with 16-32 same old names playing snooker, not the 128. From 64-128 players are treading water (in debt/sponsored at a loss?), but at least they've got a wee bit of time to try and break through into the money now.

Judd does not have ROS's measure at all. He knows the real Ronnie was at the COC and he couldn't cope with him. Ronnie has off days like any human but he had two off weeks here because of a serious injury, unable to practice, something you've ignored. We will see what the real Ronnie is like at the Masters. Likewise, as snookerfan alluded, we will see what the real Selby is like once the baby settles in. These are big factors, though I think a fractured ankle is bigger than a few nights lost sleep. You can't practice on a fractured ankle. His doctors told him not to enter, but he did anyway, because he loves snooker. Yes, the money is handy but he doesn't need it. I don't think Trump was pathetic, I think he was tired and emotionally knackered (low levels of emotional intelligence present). I rightly predicted that Mags had pre-fried him for Ronnie and so it turned out. That match was utter dross and it ruined Judd's confidence ahead of playing the Genius. Only when he was under no pressure, and playing by instinct, did he let his natural game take over and flow. At 9-9, he cracked again. So the jury is out on Judd for me. He did well to get this far, by only having to play Mags and he did well at the CoC, so his ranking is improved but No.7 in the World (http://snooker.org/res/index.asp?template=31) leaves him sitting between Bingo and Allen. We will see how good he is at the Masters! That's the big test, no easy matches.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

vodkadiet wrote:Anyone who thinks that was a good final is deluded. It was dire up until 9-5. The worst final I have seen in recent times by far. Trump playing well for a few frames when the match was all but lost doesn't make it a good match. The BBC pundits have now reached an all time low in their assessments of certain players, and the overall standard of play. Steve Davis and John Parrott need to thrown in to an old folks home.

vodka, if u cant acknowledge that trump and ronnie played a final for the ages then i feel sry for u. both deserved to win but the one who played the better saftey in the end won. simple.

still didnt get over neils loss and defending his title i suppose.

Postby Cannonball

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Still buzzing :-D

Superlike! Me too, woke up at 4am with snooker on my mind. So I had to celebrate all over again with another whisky. Ronnie :mosh2:s

Woohoo! :pompom: all the way to the Masters.

Postby mantorok

In other words, you very much enjoyed this weeks snooker :-D

Postby Andy Spark

Dan-cat wrote:TWITTER ATTACK @snookerisland 4h
After that final I found it impossible to get to sleep! Seen some things in my time but never thought I'd see Ronnie scared like that.

Me too!!! Who writes the Snooker Island Twitter?

He showed some frailty, but two points...

1) When the ultimate question was asked, he played a high standard final frame; didn't miss a single pot.
2) Played the whole tournament with a slowly healing weber fracture of the ankle, this would surely effect his overall standard.

Postby The Cueist

Well done Ron , A fifth uk title won on a repairing broken ankle .

Cant have been easy to do .

Wether or not you are a fan of Ronnie O'Sullivan you have to accept that nobody gives anybody a UK title.

Just accept the fact that Ronnie won the uk title on a dodgy ankle and made a 147 on the way to wrapping up a 6-0 whitewash over Selt.
Accept it as that is what went on before our eyes .

Postby Cannonball

Imagine not being able to practice on a broken ankle the week before a tournament against the best the world has to offer, and winning it? If that isn't the definition of the world's greatest play ever, I don't know what is. And the fact that some won't even pay tribute to Ron's efforts is nothing short of disgraceful. It merely reflects on their lack of gentlemanly sportsmanship. Are you men or mice?

Postby hendry_fan

Cannonball wrote:Imagine not being able to practice on a broken ankle the week before a tournament against the best the world has to offer, and winning it? If that isn't the definition of the world's greatest play ever, I don't know what is. And the fact that some won't even pay tribute to Ron's efforts is nothing short of disgraceful. It merely reflects on their lack of gentlemanly sportsmanship. Are you men or mice?

One thing i,ll give you,....

,....You,re the greatest ever Snooker Island clown ever,along with bein if not the most disrespectful,one of the most disrespectful snooker fans,Ronnie over the top fan boyz there has ever been.

You expect that some show some tribute,respect,appreciation for Ronnie,but when it comes to eg likes of Hendry,Selby you dish out way over the top disrespectful,horses**t yourself!. <doh>

I loved it when he stuffed Ronnie at this years worlds,especially cause of the likes of goofballs like you.
He won it fair n square,had nothin to do with luck,havin the run o the ball,playing negative snooker,what do you expect,or would like Selby to put all the balls over the pocket,sorry,snooker don,t work like that.

No one ever ever bottled a match against Ronnie did they,not in your over the top fan boy eyes they did,nt,nor has any other player bottled a match,it was <only> Jimmy that bottled it,Jimmy was a great player,he would beat the current crop for sure,just think of how good Jimmy would,ve been had,nt Hendry been around,he would,ve for sure been even better,Jimmy can still string a few wins together theeeses days and he,s absolute millllles off his prime.
All of Ronnies opponents have played strong against him,yeah,right,bla blaaaa,wake up out of that dream you,re in.

Ronnies been very,verry,verrrrrry lucky,the amount of times players have bottled matches,frames against him have been unreal,but yeah,you like to shove all of that under the carpet and act as if every match he,s played,he,s had it so tough!.

One thing i,ll agree with you on though,is,yeah,Ronnie played better than Hendry at the latter part of his carreer,but Ronnie has found a real goal to go for,he,s tryin his best to add to his CV,why do u think he,s so keen to do that and play in this UK,he full well knows that if he adds a good few more titles to his CV,especially the BIG ones,that the discussion once n for all will be put to rest as the greatest ever is concerned,but until he adds a few more,(if he even does that is),Hendry should be still regarded as the greatest ever so far.

What many seem,or would like to forget,is that Hendry still played decent snooker right up until the day he retired,at (43),in fact he only really had problems competing against the top 8,and he was country miles off his prime.

Here,thanks for bringing this up again,you just reminded me o somethin i just watched again the other day,....

check it out as from,...7 mins 50,....

http://youtu.be/JlV_kDJWK8k

Hendry states why he declined,i,m sure if he had,nt of won the worlds for the 7th time in 1999,then he would have continued to practice like he did in the 90,s,but hey,u know what,he won it for a 7th time,when he won it,he had achieved his main goal,anything from then on was a bouns,do you think he was gonna keep practising,goin on the way he did after all that he achieved,aftzer puitting so much hard work into it for over a decade!,he said it himself that his life was changin,and that he did,nt pactice so much,he was,nt workin as hard as he did in the 90,s,and who can blame him,after putting all the effort he put into it for all those years,of course he still wanted to win,but he lost the hunger he had and it did,nt hurt him as much when he lost as to when he lost in the 90,s.

Ronnie on the other hand,now that he,s in the latter part of his carreer is up for it more than he ever was,WHY,well it,s blatanly obvious,he realises that he has a great chance of attacking,threatening Hendrys records,he,s fully motivated,plus he knows full well that the standards these days are not high at all,he knows that most of the players have and still are playing weak against him,if that aint a motivation then what is.

Oh and here,i,ll chuck this in as well,.....

Open your eyes,peel off the tomatos,turn on your pea brain and read,look what Hendry himself quoted just the other day,....

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/gene ... 78951.html

,...."he sees the current standard of play in the professional game as poor".

So stick all o that up your jacksie.

You as well as all of the others players are very lucky that Hendry did,nt keep on practising,givin it his all at the latter part of his carreer,jeez,they,d be throwin there cookies out o there prams and would be spittin out there dummies.

I,ve said my bit and from now on if you keep trying to bring this up,i,ll just keep shoving these FACTS in your sh**ty,pathetic,miserable,sour grape face,.....

Hendry= Ranking event finals: 57 (36 titles, 21 runner-ups)

Ronnie= Ranking event finals: 39 (27 titles, 12 runner-ups)

Ronnies got a good bit o work to do,...he,s <only> got another 20 finals to make + another 11 tourneys to win,including 3 more of the most precious title in snooker,....the World Championships!.

So,i,ve said my bit,how about you showin Hendry,Selby not to mention a few others at least a bit of respect,recognition!.

Your not the only one who does,nt like to show Hendry respect,there,s many more out there who act as if he,s nothin,just look at what the man achieved,the record books,achievements speaks for its self.

Waffler Steve Davis is one of the BIGGEST culprits,he definately has a standards phobia,almost every time he opens his sour,bitter gob,he keeps saying,"the standards so high thesssse days", :zzz: he,s brainwashed himself with it,he,ll do almost anything to make the current crop and his Ronnie look better,tryin to hype up today super high standards is just makin him look like a clown,he might have fooled people who have,nt been watchin snooker that long,but he can,t fool snooker dinosaurs like me,the standards at present is as Hendry says,"poor".

He gives,gave Hendry hardly any credit,recognition whatsoever,it really is pathetic how he acts,yes we all know Ronnie an absolute gem of a player,but you rarely hear him say anything positive about the other gem= Hendry.

Hendry= Ranking event finals: 57 (36 titles, 21 runner-ups)

Ronnie= Ranking event finals: 38 (26 titles, 12 runner-ups)

And on a last note till the Masters,.....

Credit to Judd for comin back,but he gave himself faaaaaar too much to do,should have played like that in the first few frames or at least shown bouts of it throughout the match,up until the point that he knocked in the 2 centuries and a 90 odd his highest break was <only> a 56,after 14 frames i think it was,great standard i must say. :roll:

Ronnie was over par the whole of the tourney,and it,s probably one of the worst performances he,s served up in a final,but credit to him for comin through and gettin over the line.

Most of his opponents really have to start stepping up,it has to be said,most really have been terribly weak,rubbish against him for a good while now.

But,hey,well done Ronnie though,make the best of it,cause your opponents will step it up sometime.

Nice evening all,c ya all when the Masters starts!. <ok>
Last edited by hendry_fan on 08 Dec 2014, edited 6 times in total.