Post a reply

Coral U K Championship Semi Final 2: Trump v Maguire !

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Tuesday 25th of November~Sunday 7th of December at the Barbican Center in York.

Semi Final 2: Judd Trump v Stephen Maguire

Saturday December 6th @7pm

The second Semi Final pits together Former UK Champions Stephen Maguire who won in 2004 and Judd Trump the 2011 Champion.

Maguire has had the better of their Head to Head but Trump will be looking to put things right.

Who will win?

Click Here for Head to Head

Overall Maguire leads 10-4
Main Tournaments Maguire leads 5-2
UK Championship Trump leads 1-0

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Coral U K Championship Semi Final 2: Trump v Maguire !

Postby Andre147

I don't think either player will run away with it here, could be a close one, Trump for me has the advantage but their head to head isn't good for him so that could be a factor, because Mags will be confident when facing him.

Ironically, after his CoC match v Trump, Mags had some very strong words about his overall state of his game, saying he was frustrated with how he has been playing and that it's the worst he's ever felt in his career.

Then in his very next ranker here he has this run to the semis or better.

http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2 ... n-coventry

Postby Skullman

Who I want to win this match is dependent on who wins the first semi. If it's ROS, Judd needs to get through as Mags won't have a chance against Ronnie over 19 frames. If it's Bingo, I want Mags through.

Postby NNear

The dream final (I'm sure for many) could be on!

Judd to take this second semi probably but he has looked vulnerable at times in this tournament and his temperament has let him down on a couple of occasions, then again he is only human.

It's good to see Maguire get a good result under his belt again.

Postby Andre147

I can see Judd running away with it if Mags doesnt start well.

Absolutely vital that Mags starts well... Judd could afford a bad start, say 3-1 down, and still be very much in it. As for Mags, I'm not so sure.

And despite his bad record, the fact that Judd has won their last 2 matches could play a part in this match.

Postby Cannonball

Cloud Strife wrote:Good luck Mags.

As much as I am beginning to love Judd's snooker play again, and wouldn't mind the dream final one bit...

Go on Mags!

Postby NNear

Andre147 wrote:
NNear wrote:Palpable suspense. Come on Cannonball Trump winning the UK would also be awesome. :D

No it woulnd't :wave:

I would be happier if Mags won the UK here instead of Judd.

Yah but I'm talking to Cannonball as a fellow Judd admirer, rather than speaking on behalf of anyone else.

Hey though, if Mags wins the UK it's cool with me. :dance2:

Postby Cannonball

NNear wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
NNear wrote:Palpable suspense. Come on Cannonball Trump winning the UK would also be awesome. :D

No it woulnd't :wave:

I would be happier if Mags won the UK here instead of Judd.

Yah but I'm talking to Cannonball as a fellow Judd admirer, rather than speaking on behalf of anyone else.

Hey though, if Mags wins the UK it's cool with me. :dance2:

I agree with both of you, Judd would be fine, as Ronnie's possible heir. I don't think I'd be too chuffed with Mags as champ. But yeah, Ronnie would be first choice, Judd 2nd for me. Judd is a great potter and exciting to watch.

Postby NNear

It seems so far that the likes of Selby and Ding after hugely successful seasons have had a let-down as things stand. Maybe they'll get it together for the second half of the season.......... Or maybe Ronnie and Judd will co-dominate. They already showed an incredible standard in the CoC finals - one wonders what they might produce in a Major final.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Should Ronnie play Judd tomorrow I think the quality will be quite a bit lower than in the CoC final. Matches like that don't happen to often.

Yeah it would be near impossible to replicate that incredible level in 2 consecutive Big Finals.

I dont care to be honest, even if its a kinda scrappy match like their Worlds semi, what matters is the Title for Ronnie.

Postby Cannonball

NNear wrote:It seems so far that the likes of Selby and Ding after hugely successful seasons have had a let-down as things stand. Maybe they'll get it together for the second half of the season.......... Or maybe Ronnie and Judd will co-dominate. They already showed an incredible standard in the CoC finals - one wonders what they might produce in a Major final.

Maybe I'm wrong on this but I feel Selby had already peaked before the Worlds. I think he will decline further. Same thing happened to Hendry after 30. Ding really needs to see Dr. Steve Peters and sort himself out. He looked better last season but the same fragility of mind has returned for me. Such a shame; so much talent. You're right though, a Judd/Ronnie final could produce some scintillating snooker of a standard we haven't seen for a long time.

Postby Clara8633

If Trump reaches the final, I'm 99% sure he'd win. Partly because he seems to be playing better and more consistently than ROS at the moment, and also because he'd be determined not to lose against the same player in two consecutive finals.

Postby NNear

As great as Ding's season was last year he didn't win or even reach the final of any of the Triple Crown events, which is kind of a big deal...

Selby's win may well have been the culmination of all his previous hard work and his crowning achievement and that from here he'll steadily decline. I've thought it too and mentioned it on this board, though admittedly before he actually won his WChamps. I hesitate to write the great champion off but I sense that further decline will come as well. The mental efforts required for Selby to play at the top of his game just seem monstrous. It's got to be hard to sustain that...

True guys it's a bit naive for me to assume the standard would rival the CoC finals but you never know, it could/should produce a classic match and one that could see a deciding frame.