Topic locked

Re: Coral U K Championship Quarter Finals Discussion !!!

Postby Cannonball

SnookerFan wrote:I've not heard much of Hendry commentate this week, but have had some on Eurosport and have been at work. He seems a better commentator than some.

I like Dennis Taylor as a person, and when he does stuff like Snooker Legends he can be quite entertaining. But he has demonstrated a decided lack of knowledge when it comes to commentating on the professional game. Calling the German Masters a PTC event is not a mistake I'd expect somebody in his position to make. Is it too much to ask that somebody who is paid to provide expertise in snooker will know the names of the tournaments?

Ok, you missed it. In one picture, it was like this:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/7 ... llivan.jpg

Postby Andre147

Afternoon Folks :-D

How do you all see Dotty v Bingo going? I obviosuly want Dotty to win as when on form he'sone of my favourite players, great determination and tenacity, but he will have a tough test against Bingo, who is a major contender for title nowadays.

I do expect this one to be close (hopefully one of them doesnt run way with it) so hopefully Dotty will win it.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerFan wrote:I've not heard much of Hendry commentate this week, but have had some on Eurosport and have been at work. He seems a better commentator than some.

I like Dennis Taylor as a person, and when he does stuff like Snooker Legends he can be quite entertaining. But he has demonstrated a decided lack of knowledge when it comes to commentating on the professional game. Calling the German Masters a PTC event is not a mistake I'd expect somebody in his position to make. Is it too much to ask that somebody who is paid to provide expertise in snooker will know the names of the tournaments?

Though, in Dennis' defence, I think the problem is as much the BBC as it is him.

The fact that snooker is on the BBC is terrestrial telly is a good thing, don't get me wrong. The sport needs the exposure. But, the BBC seem to treat it like a way of filling the daytime TV schedule rather than an important event in the sporting calendar. (Turning the match of at crucial times to put a repeat of Dad's Army on the Hairy Bikers on, etc.)

I think the BBC hires commentators that they think the public are aware of. Dennis is there because he won the most watched Crucible final ever, John Virgo is there because he was on Big Break etc.... If the BBC basically say to you; "Here's a job sitting round watching snooker, where you'll have to talk about it but not really know anything much about it...." Most people would take the job.

The jobs for the boys attitude at the BBC is as at least partially responsible for the commentators making such obvious gaffs.

Postby Andre147

As for Ronnie v McGill, it may be closer than some are expecting, of course I expect a Ronnie win, but McGill did beat Higgins in the previous round, and although Higgins has been far from his best, McGill had to well in patches to beat him, so if Ronnie isnt on his game who knows....

The 147, as good as it was, is forgotten now, this is a new day, new match, different opponent.

Hopefully Ronnie will have a nice Birthday today with a win over McGill.

Postby Cannonball

Andre147 wrote:Afternoon Folks :-D

How do you all see Dotty v Bingo going? I obviosuly want Dotty to win as when on form he'sone of my favourite players, great determination and tenacity, but he will have a tough test against Bingo, who is a major contender for title nowadays.

I do expect this one to be close (hopefully one of them doesnt run way with it) so hopefully Dotty will win it.

Toss of a coin for me. Nothing in this. It could over-run though! rofl One for the grinders brigade out there! rofl

As an aside, a friend used to practice with Bingo in his early days. They all told him to give up because he was awful. They got jobs and he plodded on. The rest is history. He's the result of great coaching, wanting to change and hard work. :hatoff:

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:Afternoon Folks :-D

Not actually seen either of them play yet.

I didn't expect Bingham to beat Walden by the massive scoreline that he did. Walden had been playing well when I saw him. Then Bingham gave him a sound thrashing. Whereas the Dott vs Robertson match sounded like something else... :shock:

I prefer Bingham to Dott somehow, which probably means Dott will win.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:As for Ronnie v McGill, it may be closer than some are expecting, of course I expect a Ronnie win, but McGill did beat Higgins in the previous round, and although Higgins has been far from his best, McGill had to well in patches to beat him, so if Ronnie isnt on his game who knows....

The 147, as good as it was, is forgotten now, this is a new day, new match, different opponent.

Hopefully Ronnie will have a nice Birthday today with a win over McGill.

Ronnie could win 6-2, and it'd be closer than a lot are expecting. rofl

Ronnie has to start favourite. I think Higgins would've won that if he was playing like he could a couple of seasons ago. Even past his beat, John made a bit of a fight of it.

There's only one winner here, though. It's Ronnie. I'd like to see McGill get a few frames in though. Too many people keel over and seem to quit against Ronnie. Accept that you aren't the favourite, turn up and give it a go, you never know what will happen.

Postby Cannonball

Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:Dott v Bingham for me this afternoon.

Ronnie will make light work of McGill

Hopefully so I can watch more of Dotty's match :-D

Will be ugly with Bingo having the better technique. Dotty stabbing the ball with his 9mm pool cue. Yuck!

Postby Wildey

Cannonball wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:Dott v Bingham for me this afternoon.

Ronnie will make light work of McGill

Hopefully so I can watch more of Dotty's match :-D

Will be ugly with Bingo having the better technique. Dotty stabbing the ball with his 9mm pool cue. Yuck!

<doh>

Postby Cannonball

Andre147 wrote:ITV started 15 min before play, BBC should do the same.

Yes, but they have to fit in more important dross into their schedule mate. rofl About time WS pulled the plug on the beeb, they're awful. Commentators are rubbish. The only thing they've got going for themselves is Davis and Virgo.

Postby mantorok

NNear wrote:Officially a McGill fan. Love his demeanour around the table and how easy and casual he is, but also his play is delightful and pleasant on the eye.

I've only seen him a couple of times before this, but agree he plays the game rightly and smoothly, very good to watch.