Post a reply

What's the atmosphere like at the Barbican?

Postby SnookerFan

For those in attendance.

The commentators on Eurosport were moaning yesterday that nobody had been clapping in the afternoon session. When there was some applause for one shot in the evening, they made the joke that the fans must've been in the bar, as they were getting overexcited.

Usually commentators pretend the atmosphere is better than it is. (Like at Wembley Arena, where it was almost non-existent.)

Is the atmosphere poor? Is it because people don't like the table set up?

Re: What's the atmosphere like at the Barbican?

Postby Skullman

Have no idea why some people don't clap. I did clap a bit when I first got there, but stopped after a while because it was embarrassing being the only one clapping. Maybe they need Dennis et al to tell what's a good shot or when frame ball is?

And if it's on the outside table, good luck getting anything clapped unless it's a century.

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:Have no idea why some people don't clap. I did clap a bit when I first got there, but stopped after a while because it was embarrassing being the only one clapping. Maybe they need Dennis et al to tell what's a good shot or when frame ball is?

And if it's on the outside table, good luck getting anything clapped unless it's a century.

Don't they have Dennis et al telling them that on the earpiece?

Maybe they need one of those 'Clap Now' flashy things to let them know what to do. rofl

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Have no idea why some people don't clap. I did clap a bit when I first got there, but stopped after a while because it was embarrassing being the only one clapping.

Yea i found that a bit odd as well and its by no means a Barbican Problem.

even when at the Crucible that can happen.

Postby Wildey

Roland

What would you do for the championship?

i think taking it from the Barbican would be wrong but if Barry Hearn persists with this 128 thing they will have to in my opinion and even if they do could flat 128 Work at another venue and make it feel like a Major event?

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Roland

What would you do for the championship?

i think taking it from the Barbican would be wrong but if Barry Hearn persists with this 128 thing they will have to in my opinion and even if they do could flat 128 Work at another venue and make it feel like a Major event?

Don't ask Roland. He thinks all events should be in York, because he can walk there. rofl

Postby Roland

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Anyone would think they're playing in a prison cell in that sports hall. It's not that bad ffs, it's just that if you're a player you would much rather be in the arena than in there. They could do with educating the spectators to wait until cue ball has been struck before walking past a table, that's the main thing.

Bottom line is the Barbican arena is a great venue and it's always packed and to win the title you have win 7 matches and it's only the first 2 rounds that the sports hall is used. Therefore the maximum number of matches you play in there is 2, and with few exceptions the players playing in there would have been in the EIS cubicles a couple of years ago anyway. Once you're into the last 32 you're guaranteed in the main arena, and the last 32 is where the UK always started from anyway with the BBC.

What's happened is that the big names have had a moan because they're used to being straight through to the venue as top 16 and the game has changed with the flat 128 concept. If they played the UK in a venue whch could host 8 tables what would the atmosphere be like? It would be like a PTC. The only venue I've been to which could work is the Tempodrom in Berlin and there aren't too many of those about. All other multi-table set ups I've been to haven't had the view you can get at the Barbican or Tempodrom.

Just say they went to the Ricoh Arena or the Guild Hall. How would the problems go away? It's about getting the early rounds played and then once you're into the last 32 as from yesterday, there's no more problems with the venue.

From a spectator point of view the sports hall allows you to view the matches close in so you can get pretty close to the tables and that's always good to watch if you're into your snooker. It's an experience.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Welsh Open plays out because I think the Cardiff Arena was a great venue for the 9-ball pool a few years ago with the multi-tiered layout.

Postby Wildey

Ronnie mentioned the COC in Coventry but you could never play the UK Championship in a venue like the Ricoh arena Coventry so it was pretty stupid to mention that event its like chalk and cheese.

I Would prefer if they play the UK like the World Championship and seed top 16 to the venue and joined by 16 qualifiers or play last 128 and last 64 as a qualifying event in a venue like the sports hall but bigger. and then last 32 onwards on 2 tables at the barbican

in the 80s they played Last 64 and last 32 as a qualifying event and the cameras started rolling for the last 16 stage.

Postby Roland

First time around at the Barbican I think they played 17-32 v's 33-48 in the main arena across 5 or even 6 tables (currently there are 4) and played most top 16 v winner of previous round before the first BBC Saturday, where they held over a few of the big names first matches for TV. This was in the days of best of 17 the whole way. It was much better!

Postby Wildey

Roland wrote:First time around at the Barbican I think they played 17-32 v's 33-48 in the main arena across 5 or even 6 tables (currently there are 4) and played most top 16 v winner of previous round before the first BBC Saturday, where they held over a few of the big names first matches for TV. This was in the days of best of 17 the whole way. It was much better!

Back then How did they fit 6 tables in the main arena?

cant be the same set up as they have today.

Postby Roland

No there were walls between tables like cubicles and all public seats were in the balcony if memory serves correctly. They then kept 2 tables and introduced the seating on the Friday before going out on BBC Saturday morning.

My over-riding memory of the early stages is one year seeing this bald player and not being able to work out who it was until late on when I realised it was Paul Hunter. He scrapped out a 9-8 win and I think it was the last match he ever won.

Postby AC or LT?

As someone who's been twice now, both under the new format, it's a brilliant venue. Personally the atmosphere on the Saturday last year there wasn't an issue with people clapping - there was one guy clapping marginally off-straight blacks off the spot - must have been distracting for the players.

This year I went pre-TV and to be honest it seemed like especially in the morning a good chunk of people at the venue were players/managers/coaches/spivs/rob walker etc and they were just milling around the bar or catching a frame here and there. The atmosphere was pretty decent though, even if the stalls were half-empty for the day session and the arena pretty sparsely populated. Think in those early rounds your just unlikely to get the amount of people you would for a L16 onwards match these days, which is why they should be played elsewhere beforehand. The idea of 128 all-in-at-the-venue is nice, but not a major. Especially when playing those matches elsewhere would open the doors up for Best of 17s again.

Postby Roland

I think most aren't interested or don't realise it's on until the BBC coverages starts anyway, and even then most early matches are one-sided as the big names on the TV tables ease into the next round. It's hard to get excited about some of the matches, it's just useful to study form. I can see why the crowd don't get too excited by some of the matches but that's flat 128 and besides, it's better from this point on as the field has thinned out and those playing the better are still left.

Postby SnookerFan

AC or LT? wrote:
This year I went pre-TV and to be honest it seemed like especially in the morning a good chunk of people at the venue were players/managers/coaches/spivs/rob walker etc and they were just milling around the bar or catching a frame here and there. The atmosphere was pretty decent though, even if the stalls were half-empty for the day session and the arena pretty sparsely populated. Think in those early rounds your just unlikely to get the amount of people you would for a L16 onwards match these days, which is why they should be played elsewhere beforehand. The idea of 128 all-in-at-the-venue is nice, but not a major. Especially when playing those matches elsewhere would open the doors up for Best of 17s again.

That actually sounds pretty cool. I'd like to go someday. Be part of the hardcore, see stuff they don't show on TV.