Topic locked

Re: Coral U K Championship Last 64 Discussion !!!

Postby Clara8633

I can sort of understand why Lines said that; it would be devastating for him if the person who beats him withdraws afterwards, when Lines could have gone further. That's exactly what happened to Daniel Wells.

The UK Championship has become a jinx to ROS O_o

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:If anything, it's a compliment.

Maybe, but a player is supposed to relish playing these top players, and no better way to do it than to beat Ronnie in a big tournament such as this, regardless of Ronnie's condition.

I do hope Ronnie plays and sends him packing :wave:

Postby Andre147

Clara8633 wrote:I can sort of understand why Lines said that; it would be devastating for him if the person who beats him withdraws afterwards, when Lines could have gone further. That's exactly what happened to Daniel Wells.

If his opponents aren't good enough to beat a crippled man than tough luck :wave: Ronnie may withdraw when he wants, no one can blame him, it's just about on the day if he feels like in good shape to play or not, and if he beats Lines then withdraws then so be it, as I said, it's his opponents who are supposed to beat a crippled man. :wave:

Postby Clara8633

Andre147 wrote:
Clara8633 wrote:I can sort of understand why Lines said that; it would be devastating for him if the person who beats him withdraws afterwards, when Lines could have gone further. That's exactly what happened to Daniel Wells.

If his opponents aren't good enough to beat a crippled man than tough luck :wave: Ronnie may withdraw when he wants, no one can blame him, it's just about on the day if he feels like in good shape to play or not, and if he beats Lines then withdraws then so be it, as I said, it's his opponents who are supposed to beat a crippled man. :wave:

Well there's no use telling me that since I'm not the one who wants Lines to get a bye.

Postby Andre147

Clara8633 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Well there's no use telling me that since I'm not the one who wants Lines to get a bye.

I know, the only ones who want a bye are Lines and Lines Junior rofl hopefully Ronnie won't give them that pleasure and sends Lines Senior packing.

Postby PLtheRef

Naturally Lines wouldn't turn down a walkover if he was offered one and though his comments presumably a with a touch of tounge in cheek, I think his comments betray a sense of nervousness about facing O'Sullivan when he's injured and that there's a lot more expectation on him than there would have been before.

Postby Wildey

i honestly cant believe for 1 moment Ronnie will pull out. although his foot was obviously hurting. at times he was almost walking normally.

Publicity bandwagon at full pelt.

Postby PLtheRef

AC or LT? wrote:Hopefully Jimmy can pull of a late-in-life comeback like Steve Davis did in 2005.

At Jimmy's age, Steve reached a major quarterfinal.

Postby Andre147

PLtheRef wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:Hopefully Jimmy can pull of a late-in-life comeback like Steve Davis did in 2005.

At Jimmy's age, Steve reached a major quarterfinal.

As much as I would love it to happen, Jimmy beating Ding here would be as big if not an even bigger shock than when Steve beat Higgins in those Worlds 2010 to reach the Quarter-Finals there.

My guess is Jimmy will go out 6-0 or 6-1, but I do hope he puts in a good performance.

Postby Cannonball

If Ronnie can win the UK with a broken ankle it will rate as the greatest snooker victory of all time. To be physically handicapped and play snooker and win in a pro tournament, in the highest quality era, would be off the scale. Superhuman and supernatural. Only the god of snooker, the first genius could even contemplate such a thing. Every other player would have pulled out already. Next up, playing all the shots eyes closed. He could do it, he's that good!

Postby motorhead

Do you think Ford-Walker has a chance to be one of the two tv evening matches tomorrow? one is going to be Ronnie and then there's Murphy playing, I'd really like to see Walker's match

edit: nevermid just read their match is not in the Sports Hall so not going to get the coverage

Postby AC or LT?

BBC Coverage starts at 1 with the session due to start at 1, guess that means at quarter past start in reality?

Also any one know who the new studio addition referred to in SB's blog is? No one obvious comes to mind, McManus maybe but surely he's on contract with ITV? Jimmy's playing so I doubt it's him, Dom Dale maybe?

Postby Wildey

god sakes theres enough studio annalists and comentators as it is.

ITV Manages with 4 people

BBC has 11 people as it is.

thats where our licence fee goes to pay wages of people they dont really need.

Postby Wildey

thing is they need 2 main bloody presenters for every event.

in the 80s and 90s you had 1 presenter for most events and 2 for the World Championship.

today they need 2 presenters plus Davis, Parrot etc doing interviews and features just waste of money.

Postby ttol

AC or LT? wrote:Also any one know who the new studio addition referred to in SB's blog is? No one obvious comes to mind, McManus maybe but surely he's on contract with ITV? Jimmy's playing so I doubt it's him, Dom Dale maybe?

Silvino Francisco's looking for work.

AC or LT? wrote:I think they'd better channelling that money into streaming the outside tables on the red button but never mind.

But then we'd miss Ronnie talking about Steve Peters and running.

Postby AC or LT?

Wildey wrote:http://www.express.co.uk/sport/othersport/541320/snooker-Stephen-Hendry-retirement-return-news

Apparently Hendry thinking of using this Barry Mates Card next season.

Hope to god he doesn't hes finished time to forget these Fossils and get behind younger players.

Completely agree these Wildcards should be removed, if players want to turn up at events they should be their on merit.

Postby Dan-cat

It's Ali Carter I reckon, the BBC gig. I like Ali, he's spiky, my only concern is that I was watching the power snooker final from 2010 the other day and he was doing some commentary, and unfortunately his vernacular was like a compendium of the worst snooker cliches, like he'd been trained by Dennis and Virgo. I'm allergic to cliches, they bring me out in a rash. Hopefully he'll have advanced a bit since then...

Postby AC or LT?

I doubt it, the new commentator would have been chosen way before the tournament. Also whoever it is is joining the studio team rather than the comms team and isn't someone like Ali who's still capable of getting to SF of tournaments a bit young for that.

I'd slam money on it being Dom Dale, the BBC Team have always loved him and I think he's done a bit of comms before (??) so it wouldn't be a great leap.

Whatever happened to that power snooker tournament anyway? I didn't mind it, I mean it was a farce but a nice farce.