Topic locked

Re: Coral U K Championship Last 64 Discussion !!!

Postby Cannonball

Andre147 wrote:He won't win it I'm also fairly sure, but I would much prefer him going out in the latter stages than in his next match v Woolaston for instance...

Higgins seems to be playing well again, a Ronnie v Higgins clash at the UK Quarter-Finals would be lovely.. their last and so far only match at the UK was an absolute classic one.

I agree with everything you say, must be the whisky! :wine:

Postby vodkadiet

motorhead wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:It is wrong that Carter's ranking has been frozen so he gets to play in The Masters and World Championship as a top 16 player. Barry Hearn and Jason Ferguson should be made accountable for this absurd decision.

why is it wrong?

Players shouldn't get preferential treatment because of sympathy.

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:
Andre147 wrote:He won't win it I'm also fairly sure, but I would much prefer him going out in the latter stages than in his next match v Woolaston for instance...

Higgins seems to be playing well again, a Ronnie v Higgins clash at the UK Quarter-Finals would be lovely.. their last and so far only match at the UK was an absolute classic one.

Doubt it'll be a classic now. Either both will be awful if ROS's ankle is still affecting him or ROS will play well and Higgins awful, and it'll be 6-1 or 6-2.

Yes, good point this. Overall it's just the big name of the both two players which automatically make it look like a big match. But under the current circumstances it indeed seems to be unlikely that's its gonna be a high standard match.

Postby PLtheRef

vodkadiet wrote:It is wrong that Carter's ranking has been frozen so he gets to play in The Masters and World Championship as a top 16 player. Barry Hearn and Jason Ferguson should be made accountable for this absurd decision.

Absolutely,

It should be frozen until he's got two years worth of tournaments so he can be ranked on a par with everyone else

Postby Cannonball

vodkadiet wrote:
motorhead wrote:

why is it wrong?

He hasn't got sympathy, he's got cancer. He can't play/practise or play properly because of the treatment. Nah, just strip him of his ranking, rip up his tour card and make him play the qualifiers to get it back in the Summer. Jeez, what a complete donut of a half-man you are. Luckily, WS has great understanding and empathy after Paul Hunter. I don't like Carter, he bores me. But I do respect him after everything he's been through the last few years. So should everyone else.
Last edited by Cannonball on 01 Dec 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
Skullman wrote:

Doubt it'll be a classic now. Either both will be awful if ROS's ankle is still affecting him or ROS will play well and Higgins awful, and it'll be 6-1 or 6-2.

Yes, good point this. Overall it's just the big name of the both two players which automatically make it look like a big match. But under the current circumstances it indeed seems to be unlikely that's its gonna be a high standard match.

Their last match Ronnie won confortably 5-1, and apart from a ton from Ronnie it wasn't that good a match to be fair.

Both still have a long way to reach the Quarters,and with Higgins, especially these days, he can lose at any given moment, Stevens is well capable of beating him on a good day. So too is Woolaston v Ronnie for that matter.

Postby motorhead

vodkadiet wrote:
motorhead wrote:

why is it wrong?

they have to implement the rule to all serious cases like the ones of Carter, Hunter and so on. It's not a preferential treatment, protected ranking is something used in other sports, if someone didn't get it like you mentioned that's a mistake from WS, allowing Carter to keep his ranking was the right choice.
Last edited by motorhead on 01 Dec 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

It sounds as though Carter wanted to have his 2 cancers on purpose, so no point giving him preferencial treatment right? <laugh>

He shouldn't have got his place at the CoC, but his ranking being frozen seems a fair decision for me to be fair.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:His place at the CoC was due to frozen ranking.

yeah but still he shouldnt have got it, neither did Higgins for that matter or any player there based on ranking.

Postby vodkadiet

PLtheRef wrote:

Absolutely,

It should be frozen until he's got two years worth of tournaments so he can be ranked on a par with everyone else

Unfortunately the likes of The Cueist and Cannonball on here have had their brain cells ruined by eating too many infected animal corpses, and are incapable of thinking logically.

Postby Andre147

The Cueist wrote:Ronnie is doing enough .
Next match up will be tough for ronnie .
I reckon he wil do it .
Not sure about Higgins , He looked determined yesterday.
He hasnt been the same since , Well , I best not say .

lol i know what you mean regarding Higgins... to be fair to him, he did win almost everything after that in that particular season.

I'm not sure about either Higins or Ronnie in their next matches, as if both aren't on their game they can easily be beaten by their respective opponents.

Postby Cannonball

Andre147 wrote:It sounds as though Carter wanted to have his 2 cancers on purpose, so no point giving him preferencial treatment right? <laugh>

He shouldn't have got his place at the CoC, but his ranking being frozen seems a fair decision for me to be fair.

My mate and best man took two years to put weight back on, rebuild muscle mass and work again after his cancer treatment and here we have the Captain playing snooker against the best in the world just weeks after he's finished his treatment. I think Ronnie is pretty brave playing on a broken ankle, but playing while you face the reeper takes the biscuit for me. Not a fan of you Captain, but :hatoff: Maximum respect. Get well soon (if you're sad enough to read this forum).

Postby The Cueist

Yes whisky lettuce eater I have just ingested more lovely nutrients consisting of Duck , Crispy shredded duck corpse .So tastey
I am now limbering up for some egg omellette with buttered toast .Obviously the omelette will consist of cheese stolen from cow along with the eggs stolen from an exploited hen and some bacon sliced corpse.

Lovely.

Postby Cannonball

Anyway, enough negativity and side issues. Let's get back on message and discuss the plight of Ronaldo, first genius of snooker please.

Postby Cannonball

The Cueist wrote:Yes whisky lettuce eater I have just ingested more lovely nutrients consisting of Duck , Crispy shredded duck corpse .So tastey
I am now limbering up for some egg omellette with buttered toast .Obviously the omelette will consist of cheese stolen from cow along with the eggs stolen from an exploited hen and some bacon sliced corpse.

Lovely.

Sounds tidy that. Need to put the fryer on and make some French fries and maybe some of that Chinese curry sauce as a dip. Or ketchup, or mayo. Or all three mixed together :stir: ; monster!

Postby Wildey

I Dont particularly like Carter at all i thought he was a bit of a sausage Head if truth be told however Freezing his ranking was the right decision and as PL the Ref has said they haven froze his ranking long enough.

Its not preferential treatment its just Common sense it does happen in other sports and Cancer is a rubbish thing to come along and buck up your career.

Carter could be out of action for longer due to no fault of his own.

Anyway enough of this bullocks Carter is out of the championship so Move on to players that's still in the UK Championship.

Postby The Cueist

Andre , I agree , Higgins came back and won the uk and the worlds .

My problem has always been with the decision making process involved whereby other pkayers are baned for
Anything from four to ten years effectively finishing their careers for them.

I am probably the only one who will say it like it is.

Then I listen to a vegetarian extremist ramble on that A man who is trying to fight cancer shouldnt have had his ranking frozen.

I like a wind up but obviously sone people are just not funny mate.
If you get what I am alluding to.

But it is ok for others to continue in their careers when what theyy have done is unethical in my humble opinion.

Mentioning no names of course.

Postby Cannonball

[quote="Wildey"]I Dont particularly like Carter at all i thought he was a bit of a sausage Head if truth be told however Freezing his ranking was the right decision and as PL the Ref has said they haven froze his ranking long enough.

Its not preferential treatment its just Common sense it does happen in other sports and Cancer is a rubbish thing to come along and buck up your career.

Carter could be out of action for longer due to no fault of his own.

Anyway enough of this bullocks Carter is out of the championship so Move on to players that's still in the UK Championship.[/quote

True. So who's gonna win it? I know that's meant to be a prediction contest discussion, but I have a feeling it will be Trump. Great era though, any one of a dozen are in with a shout.

Postby vodkadiet

Carter hasn't even missed that many events. Protected rankings in tennis come in when a player is out for a very long time. Carter was only out for a few months. Anyway, World Snooker has always been run by amateurs, so no surprise there.

Postby Andre147

Not mentioned yet but Bingham made the highest break of the tounament so far with a 142 total clearance :hatoff:

Would love if we saw a 147 though, we did see one last year at the semis so who knows...

Postby Cannonball

The Cueist wrote:Andre , I agree , Higgins came back and won the uk and the worlds .

My problem has always been with the decision making process involved whereby other pkayers are baned for
Anything from four to ten years effectively finishing their careers for them.

I am probably the only one who will say it like it is.

Then I listen to a vegetarian extremist ramble on that A man who is trying to fight cancer shouldnt have had his ranking frozen.

I like a wind up but obviously sone people are just not funny mate.
If you get what I am alluding to.

But it is ok for others to continue in their careers when what theyy have done is unethical in my humble opinion.

Mentioning no names of course.

I play snooker and I would never ever parakeet. What he did was way worse than cheating on the table. A lifetime ban wouldn't have been enough. Why did Joe Jogia take the rap and others get a slap on the wrist? Money!

Postby motorhead

vodkadiet wrote:Carter hasn't even missed that many events. Protected rankings in tennis come in when a player is out for a very long time. Carter was only out for a few months. Anyway, World Snooker has always been run by amateurs, so no surprise there.

it's 6 months in tennis, Carter has been out for more than 6 months.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Not mentioned yet but Bingham made the highest break of the tounament so far with a 142 total clearance :hatoff:

Would love if we saw a 147 though, we did see one last year at the semis so who knows...

viewtopic.php?f=533&t=5593&start=780#p345579

:john:

I should know better that a certain Skullman is always on top of the occasion :bowdown: