Topic locked

Re: Coral U K Championship Last 64 Discussion !!!

Postby motorhead

vodkadiet wrote:
NNear wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
motorhead wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Carter hasn't even missed that many events. Protected rankings in tennis come in when a player is out for a very long time. Carter was only out for a few months. Anyway, World Snooker has always been run by amateurs, so no surprise there.

it's 6 months in tennis, Carter has been out for more than 6 months.

Del Potro has been out for about 9 months and his ranking is now about 150 or something like that. I see no evidence of him being protected. He won't be seeded at the Australian Open. He was in the top 10 when he got injured.

Anyway, there was no snooker at all for about 6 weeks in the summer. And Carter was entered in The Sofia event a few weeks back. As I see it, he missed about 6 events. Hardly worthy of having a ranking protection.

He had a protected ranking first time around for his wrist problems in 2010/11.

Yes, but a protected ranking doesn't mean you get seeded at an event. It just means you get direct entry in to 6 events of your choosing when you return to action.
you were ranting about Ali getting into CoC in the first place, Del Potro will get in at AO in January, the seeding wasn't being discussed. What on earth does 'I see no evidence of him being protected' mean? he uses the PR and he gets in, what sort of evidence were you looking for? this conversation is simply ridiculous.

Postby vodkadiet

Del Potro gets a place in a draw of 128, not a top 16 seeding. He won't even get a top 32 seeding. Carter gets a top 16 seeding even if he doesn't win a match until The Crucible. That is wrong

Postby The Cueist

Very well deducted , I have been drinking egg nog
By the bottle and I know you love meat !!!!!!!!!!

I would " Has at a guess " you love fast food and are getting alll angry because all the fast food joints are shut and you have the pangs to get your teeth round some wholesome heated cow corpse in a bun,

Am I right or am I just being ironic ?

Postby motorhead

vodkadiet wrote:
Yes, but a protected ranking doesn't mean you get seeded at an event. It just means you get direct entry in to 6 events of your choosing when you return to action.

it's eight tournaments, PR can be used for qualies too and you can't enter a tourney your PR wouldn't allow you to, so you can't choose any tournament you like

Postby vodkadiet

The Cueist wrote:Very well deducted , I have been drinking egg nog
By the bottle and I know you love meat !!!!!!!!!!

I would " Has at a guess " you love fast food and are getting alll angry because all the fast food joints are shut and you have the pangs to get your teeth round some wholesome heated cow corpse in a bun,

Am I right or am I just being ironic ?

I assume you meant to say 'hazard a guess'. Or maybe you really are that dim....

Postby motorhead

vodkadiet wrote:Del Potro gets a place in a draw of 128, not a top 16 seeding. He won't even get a top 32 seeding. Carter gets a top 16 seeding even if he doesn't win a match until The Crucible. That is wrong

yes but you were solely complaining about him getting in, not about his seeding at CoC, go re-read your post please

Postby motorhead

vodkadiet wrote:Del Potro gets a place in a draw of 128, not a top 16 seeding. He won't even get a top 32 seeding. Carter gets a top 16 seeding even if he doesn't win a match until The Crucible. That is wrong

if Del Potro had decided to play the last challengers of November, then both pre AO tourneys and won them all he could have very easily been seeded with a few withdrawals.

anyway I agree on the seeding not being available to PR, you should have specified that but I get the feeling you are snake hissed at him partecipating regardless of the seeding.
Last edited by motorhead on 01 Dec 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby The Cueist

Lol!!!!! You can give it vodka but you cant take it.
Need to learn that you may think you are clever but you are not and that is a fact your eyes nedd to open up to.

As for your problem with carter , I think you have no empathy for a felloiw humans plight .

You have made a song and a dance out of it as per.

Postby Cloud Strife

Del Potro could have come back towards the end of last season, could he not? He was over his injury problems and fit enough to be able to do so, but he chose not to and will still be entitled to his PR despite this.

One thing I don't like about the PR system in tennis is it allows players to pick and choose which events to use it for. It is feasible for a player to play any number of 250 events by conventional means and then use the PR for the grand slams and Masters 1000.

Postby motorhead

Cloud Strife wrote:Del Potro could have come back towards the end of last season, could he not? He was over his injury problems and fit enough to be able to do so, but he chose not to and will still be entitled to his PR despite this.

One thing I don't like about the PR system in tennis is it allows players to pick and choose which events to use it for. It is feasible for a player to play any number of 250 events by conventional means and then use the PR for the grand slams and Masters 1000.

yea he probably could have moved up his came back by a few weeks, I think November he would still have gotten the PR. but it's better to take it easy.

I find it fair that a player can choose which tourneys he wants to apply for, giving the chance to play slams and masters makes up for the slam and masters the player has lost while injuried

Postby Cloud Strife

motorhead wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Del Potro could have come back towards the end of last season, could he not? He was over his injury problems and fit enough to be able to do so, but he chose not to and will still be entitled to his PR despite this.

yea he probably could have moved up his came back by a few weeks, I think November he would still have gotten the PR. but it's better to take it easy.

I find it fair that a player can choose which tourneys he wants to apply for, giving the chance to play slams and masters makes up for the slam and masters the player has lost while injuried

The thing is though it's open to manipulation. A player throughout the course of his injury might have missed one grand slam event. If he manages his schedule correctly he could use his PR for two or more grand slams. Hardly fair for the players who have ground out the results in the meantime. As far as I'm concerned, once your back, your back and PR starts the very first event played and cannot be saved up for later in the season.

I for one don't think it's fair that Carter will get seeding protection for WC.

Postby motorhead

Cloud Strife wrote:
motorhead wrote:

The thing is though it's open to manipulation. A player throughout the course of his injury might have missed one grand slam event. If he manages his schedule correctly he could use his PR for two or more grand slams. Hardly fair for the players who have ground out the results in the meantime. As far as I'm concerned, once your back, your back and PR starts the very first event played and cannot be saved up for later in the season.

I for one don't think it's fair that Carter will get seeding protection for WC.
yes, some players take advantage of the situation (Oscar Hernandez this year :-D )