Topic locked

Re: Coral U K Championship Last 128 Discussion !!!

Postby Andre147

Clara8633 wrote:Selby's part of the draw is so tough :/ He'll be facing Williams/Maguire in R4, Murphy/Fu in the QF, Trump/Ding in the SF (if he even gets there) and the opponent in the Final will be much worse. So I think his chances of winning this year's UK Championship is very slim.

As if Selby couldn't manage to beat them... he has done it before when he also had tough draws, so no reason for him not to do it again.

His main problem will be how much match rusty he'll be since becoming a father.

Postby Clara8633

Andre147 wrote:
Clara8633 wrote:Selby's part of the draw is so tough :/ He'll be facing Williams/Maguire in R4, Murphy/Fu in the QF, Trump/Ding in the SF (if he even gets there) and the opponent in the Final will be much worse. So I think his chances of winning this year's UK Championship is very slim.

As if Selby couldn't manage to beat them... he has done it before when he also had tough draws, so no reason for him not to do it again.

His main problem will be how much match rusty he'll be since becoming a father.

I'm not underestimating him. It's just that he's had some disappointing results recently in the important events, and hasn't had enough match practice.

Postby Wildey

i love the confidence around here.

nothing like belief in your favorite player.

Postby Skullman

Not necessarily.

Hendry won five rankers in a season the season after he won his first Worlds. Higgins went on to win the UK and Masters the season after he won his first Worlds and while Dott didn't have the greatest season ever, he won his only other ranking title the season after he won the Worlds.

...Maybe this only applies to Scots.

Postby elonmerkki

To advertise my first post which was moved to https://www.snookerisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=5585&p=343872 here are the predictions for this tournament based on ELO-ratings of players and the tournament structure.

1. Ronnie O'Sullivan (1859), 3.38
2. Ding Junhui (1759), 9.45
3. Mark Selby (1742), 12.31
4. Judd Trump (1741), 12.94
5. Neil Robertson (1721), 14.15

The numbers are the current ELO-ratings and what their decimal betting odds should be.

Ronnie is a big favorite not only because of the highest rating, but his quarter is also by far the easiest.

Postby Clara8633

Muppet147 wrote:Looking forward to seeing Ronnie or Trump triumph.

Like many, I doubt Selby will do too well.

What a surprise to see the muppet utter those words.

Postby Muppet147

Clara8633 wrote:

Please forgive me for expressing an opinion on a forum...

Postby Andre147

Muppet147 wrote:
Clara8633 wrote:

Yes you're right Muppet. For me, as I said above, it all depends how much practice he's had since becoming a father, I'm sure he would have wanted to prepare well for this as this is also that time of the year when Selby usually peaks in recent years, but he's match rusty so that won't help.

Postby Skullman

Selby is generally strong with his major defences. Two final losses in the Masters and got to the final of the UK last year.

But I'm not sure how the fatherhood thing will affect him. We'll have to see. At least he'll have some time to work his way into the event.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Selby is generally strong with his major defences. Two final losses in the Masters and got to the final of the UK last year.

But I'm not sure how the fatherhood thing will affect him. We'll have to see. At least he'll have some time to work his way into the event.

But he is playing Oli Brown who is just about the hardest draw possible for the second seed in this event

Postby Wildey

Tuesday 25th of November

2.30pm

Peter Ebdon 0-0 Ross Muir
Robert Milkins 0-0 Michael Leslie streaming
Graeme Dott 0-0 Alexander Ursenbacher
Barry Hawkins 0-0 Ashley Carty streaming
Sports Hall
Kurt Maflin 0-0 Chris Norbury
Marcus Campbell 0-0 Scott Donaldson
Anthony Hamilton 0-0 Chris Steadman
Nigel Bond 0-0 Stuart Carrington

7.30pm

Alan McManus v Joel Walker streaming
Stuart Bingham v Thanawat Tirapongbaiboon streaming
Judd Trump w/o Rouzi Maimalti
Michael Holt v Zak Surety
Sports Hall
Tom Ford v Barry Pinches
Alfie Burden v Chris Wakelin
Aditya Mehta v Alex Davies
Dechawat Poomjaeng v Andrew Norman

One of the Sports Hall Matches tonight will be moved to the Arena

Postby Clara8633

Muppet147 wrote:
Clara8633 wrote:

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your post. It was just... predictable. :roll:

Postby Wildey

Peter Ebdon 0-1 Ross Muir
Robert Milkins 0-0 Michael Leslie
Graeme Dott 1-0 Alexander Ursenbacher
Barry Hawkins 0-0 Ashley Carty
Sports Hall
Kurt Maflin 0-0 Chris Norbury
Marcus Campbell 0-0 Scott Donaldson
Anthony Hamilton 0-1 Chris Steadman
Nigel Bond 0-0 Stuart Carrington

Postby Wildey

Peter Ebdon 2-2 Ross Muir
Robert Milkins 4-0 Michael Leslie
Graeme Dott 4-0 Alexander Ursenbacher
Barry Hawkins 3-1 Ashley Carty
Sports Hall
Kurt Maflin 3-1 Chris Norbury
Marcus Campbell 2-1 Scott Donaldson
Anthony Hamilton 3-1 Chris Steadman
Nigel Bond 4-0 Stuart Carrington

Postby PLtheRef

Looking like routine for the seeded players in these opening matches. Milkins, Maflin and seemingly Hawkins all set to kick off their campaigns with easy wins

Postby AC or LT?

This is one of the issues with flat 128, there's always going to be a lot of straight forward thrashings.

Just about getting used to the lack of commentary on the livestream after a few hours, surely they could've found some hasbeen needed a few quid and let them go? Mainly just to keep us updated on outside tables.

How do poomies antics normally go down in open table settings, surely he's a possible to get moved to the main arena if it wouldn't peeve the other players too much.

Postby PLtheRef

AC or LT? wrote:This is one of the issues with flat 128, there's always going to be a lot of straight forward thrashings.

Just about getting used to the lack of commentary on the livestream after a few hours, surely they could've found some hasbeen needed a few quid and let them go? Mainly just to keep us updated on outside tables.

How do poomies antics normally go down in open table settings, surely he's a possible to get moved to the main arena if it wouldn't peeve the other players too much.

Didn't Phil Yates commentate on the Crucible qualifiers?