Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Champion of Champions Final !!!

Postby TheRocket

I don't think that Ronnie's too obsessed with that record of Hendry but if you ask me, the match against Ebdon in 2005 was the moment where Ronnie lost his only chance to break this record. He played absolutely brillant that season and played a brillant WC 2005 as well. People were already saying that he will dominate the next years and he dominated Ebdon in the match but Ebdon's massive slowplay destroyed his head at the end.

He would have played Murphy and Stevens after that where he would have been massive favourite and if he won that title I really think, he could have dominated the next years and won all the WC's till 2008. But that's history now. The defeat against Selby hurts but even if he'd won it, it would have been tough to get to 8. In my eyes, if Ronnie gets to 6, equalling the Nuggets record, this would be a perfect end.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:I don't think that Ronnie's too obsessed with that record of Hendry but if you ask me, the match against Ebdon in 2005 was the moment where Ronnie lost his only chance to break this record. He played absolutely brillant that season and played a brillant WC 2005 as well. People were already saying that he will dominate the next years and he dominated Ebdon in the match but Ebdon's massive slowplay destroyed his head at the end.

He would have played Murphy and Stevens after that where he would have been massive favourite and if he won that title I really think, he could have dominated the next years and won all the WC's till 2008. But that's history now. The defeat against Selby hurts but even if he'd won it, it would have been tough to get to 8. In my eyes, if Ronnie gets to 6, equalling the Nuggets record, this would be a perfect end.

Yeah from where he was in 2011 to where he is now it's such a massive turnaround everything else is a bonus. but like you say, if Ronnie wins his 6th World Title that would be the icing on the cake, I definately think with all his talent 6 is a very good number, but even if he doesnt Im more than happy with 5, and so is he.

It's a good point to mention that famous 2005 World match, had he won I wouldnt go as far as to say he would have won the World Title because you know back then Murphy was playing some cracking stuff in that World Champs and above all Murphy hadn't got any mental scars against Ronnie, so if both had met in the semis that would have been a cracking match for sure but Ronnie would have had to play pretty well to beat him i think.

But this is all assumptions, fact is at almost 39 years of age Ronnie is still playing his A game and long may he continue to do it and add a few more silverware along the way.

Postby TheRocket

Well, the doors are wide open this season. If he keeps playing like this, he'll win at least one major and obviously the WC is more important than anything but as we mentioned Andre, another UK would be very nice as he wasn't really successful in the UK the last years. It's up to him.If he keeps playing like this, he has every chance to have a very successful season.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:I don't think that Ronnie's too obsessed with that record of Hendry but if you ask me, the match against Ebdon in 2005 was the moment where Ronnie lost his only chance to break this record. He played absolutely brillant that season and played a brillant WC 2005 as well. People were already saying that he will dominate the next years and he dominated Ebdon in the match but Ebdon's massive slowplay destroyed his head at the end.

You have a point. That defeat to Ebdon was a huge setback. It clearly affected his performance in the next season where he didn't win anything but the PL. He needed nearly 2 years to get back to his brilliant best, the 2007 Masters marked the turnaround.

But it wasn't just Ronnie whose standard dipped in that period, I still can't believe the likes of Higgins, Williams and Hendry missed out on these World Titles in 2005 and 2006.

Postby AC or LT?

SnookerFan wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:BTW Why were the players allowed to munch nuts and raisins whilst sat down? What next, let them take in a KFC bargain bucket. Standards are slipping; I'd just let them drink champagne in attractive champagne flutes, after all this is supposed to be an up market event!

<doh>

Yes, because eating nuts is chavvy, but drinking whilst working makes you look the height of class.

To be fair they should be allowed to drink/eat what they want when there waiting or at the table, if they feel they can perform better with whatever inside them why not?