Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Champion of Champions Group 1

Postby Andre147

yeah SO you're right, it was the very same last year and back then we were all asking the same thing, why did they divide the players into these groups...

I guess in their eyes it's just to make it "diferent" from the Masters otherwise it would look very similar, the irony being the format is the very same with knock out stages instead of groups.

Nevertheless, groups and points never worked in Snooker, just look at the Grand Prix 2006 and 2007. They just don't want to aknowledge the format is the same as the Masters.

Postby Skullman

Well it's different in that we'll know one of the semi finalists on the first day, but apart from that, it's the same.

Not that being like the Masters is a bad thing, I do like one table set ups. The Group numbers are just weird though unless they're numbered after the seed inside e.g. Group 1 has N1 seed ROS, Group 2 N2 seed Selby.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Well it's different in that we'll know one of the semi finalists on the first day, but apart from that, it's the same.

Not that being like the Masters is a bad thing, I do like one table set ups. The Group numbers are just weird though unless they're numbered after the seed inside e.g. Group 1 has N1 seed ROS, Group 2 N2 seed Selby.

Yeah just checked it again and you're right, it appears to be the case. But then again, how did they decide who plays who since the only seeded players are Ronnie, Selby, Robbo and Ding?

Postby Skullman

Vaguely based on how early they got eliminated from the IC I guess. Most of the people playing Monday and Tuesday were eliminated in the first couple of rounds so had plenty of time to get to Coventry.

ROS and Robbo's groups have people who made it to the latter stages, with Allen and Walden being on Friday.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:Well it's different in that we'll know one of the semi finalists on the first day, but apart from that, it's the same.

Also there are no Dominic Dale and Steve Davis at the Masters :-D

Postby TheSaviour

I don´t quite know what Stuart should do to be able to beat Ronnie here.. Didn´t O´Sullivan spoke about this tournament already a months ago. So he probably values this tournament highly, and will be up to the challenge.

Postby Andre147

TheSaviour wrote:I don´t quite know what Stuart should do to be able to beat Ronnie here.. Didn´t O´Sullivan spoke about this tournament already a months ago. So he probably values this tournament highly, and will be up to the challenge.

It's only a Best of 7 match so anything can happen, Stuart has been playing well enough lately to beat Ronnie there, so no garantees at all Ronnie will win the match.

Postby Cloud Strife

Snooker Overdrive wrote:This "group" nonsense is confusing and stupid. Most importantly this isn't a round-robin format, so it can't be called a group. Also Group 1 isn't playing first and the winner won't even play against the winner of group 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Champion_of_Champions

There's just no logic behind this.

You're right, there is no logic to it.

I'm guessing it's all part of Hearn's PR to make this event seem more unique than it actually is.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Bingham is next to Allen and Trump the most dangerous opponent Ronnie could have got. Ding and Selby have the luxury of a slow start, Ronnie doesn't.

Ronnie having a slow start against Bingo in a Best of 7 will very well mean he will go out first round, he had a slow start at the UK Champs last season against him and he went out. For instance, a 2 nil deficit for Selby and Ding isn't that bad, but if Ronnie finds himself in that position it will be hard for him to recover.

Still can't believe how Steve Davis made it to the CoC but anyway.... so, had Joe Johnson or even Doug Mountjoy won the Seniors would they have played at the CoC? rofl I guess answer is no, but because it was Davis (cough cough Hearn's old pal) he got the place.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Bingham is next to Allen and Trump the most dangerous opponent Ronnie could have got. Ding and Selby have the luxury of a slow start, Ronnie doesn't.

Ronnie having a slow start against Bingo in a Best of 7 will very well mean he will go out first round, he had a slow start at the UK Champs last season against him and he went out. For instance, a 2 nil deficit for Selby and Ding isn't that bad, but if Ronnie finds himself in that position it will be hard for him to recover.

Still can't believe how Steve Davis made it to the CoC but anyway.... so, had Joe Johnson or even Doug Mountjoy won the Seniors would they have played at the CoC? rofl I guess answer is no, but because it was Davis (cough cough Hearn's old pal) he got the place.

Actually they would have gotten a spot as well. Hearn only wanted winners in the CoC and so every PTC and variant event winner (including the Seniors) got an invite if too few players win the main events. Unfortunately even with the 6reds and seniors they had to fill up with top 16 players <laugh>

http://www.prosnookerblog.com/2014/04/2 ... confirmed/

Postby Wildey

Its Ludicrous having Davis in this kind of Field.

i like the Idea of rewarding Champions but it has to be from Proper Snooker non of this 6 reds, Shootout or "im finished find me some money championship".

If they cant find 16 players Nothing Wrong in playing a tournament with 12 players and seed the top 4 seeds in to the Quarter Final/Group Final like they used to with the Scottish Masters years ago http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Scottish_Masters.

Then play one Best of 11s in the afternoon with Winner playing one of the top 4 seeds in the evening.

that way Dominic Dale, Stephen Maguire, Steve Davis and Ali Carter would be out.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:Its Ludicrous having Davis in this kind of Field.

i like the Idea of rewarding Champions but it has to be from Proper Snooker non of this 6 reds, Shootout or "im finished find me some money championship".

If they cant find 16 players Nothing Wrong in playing a tournament with 12 players and seed the top 4 seeds in to the Quarter Final/Group Final like they used to with the Scottish Masters years ago http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Scottish_Masters.

Then play one Best of 11s in the afternoon with Winner playing one of the top 4 seeds in the evening.

that way Dominic Dale, Stephen Maguire, Steve Davis and Ali Carter would be out.

That didn't turn out too good for the top 4 seeds, did it? <laugh>

Postby Andy Spark

Andre147 wrote:

A clear conflict of interest and unethical business practice from Hearn. Not surprising when you consider the players don't give a toss about corporate governance or the financial accounts of World Snooker. Who holds Hearn to account? Nobody, he's running rings round fans and players alike.

Postby PLtheRef

Wildey wrote:Its Ludicrous having Davis in this kind of Field.

If you reduced the field to 12 then you'd be fairer playing the tournament in the usual way, i.e. four first-round matches, on the Monday and Tuesday, the QFs on Wednesday and Friday before the SFs and F at the weekend. In reality they should scrap this "group" idea because it doesn't make sense really. I enjoy group formats but I'd rather use one which works i.e. double elimination or the round robin. - The group format that the COC uses works or worked well in the qualifiers because it's a tiered system, there's no need for it in a flat draw and I'd much prefer the tournament to play all the first round matches before moving onto "quarter-finals"

What the invitations from last year and this year in particular have shown is that 16 players is too many for this tournament and that it'd be better off having 8, 10 or 12 players in the tournament rather than inviting players based on rankings or exhibition events.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

kolompar wrote:In short, the CoC is quite rubbish with its "groups" and "champions". I would rather see that £270k go to a new ranking event or 3 ET events.

But ITV doesn't want to show a run-of-the-mill ranking event, they want an elite event. The alternative is to have no event at all.

Postby Andre147

The event in itself is quite good and a nice addition to the calendar, as proved last year when the event turned out to be a great one. However, this group thing is silly and as PL said 16 players is way too many, because often events are won by same players and giving the rest of the places based on ranking or exhibition events doesn't make any sense. It defies the very purpose of this event, which is finding a Champion amongst the Winners of ranking events, Masters and PTCs.

But the coverage was very good last year by ITV, commentary and studio analysis by Neal Fouls and Alan McManus were a joy to hear and watch, as well as commentary from the great Clive Everton. That presenter though, Jill Douglas if I'm not mistaken, could do with knowing a little bit more about the game because sometimes she asked the players some silly questions last year.

Postby AC or LT?

Doing it with 8 winners of a predetermined event set with back-ups would make the most sense over longer form matches Best of 17, Best of 19. So for 2013

Champion of Champions
UK Champion
Master Champion
World Champion
International Champion
World Open Champion
Shanghai Master Champion
Wuxi Classic Champion

Then some back-up events:

Australian Goldfields Open
Welsh Open
World Grand Prix
China Open
Indian Open

Postby vodkadiet

Skullman wrote:ITV4 are covering some other event that day. Think it's football related.

Why must everything change for bloody football?!!

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:
Skullman wrote:ITV4 are covering some other event that day. Think it's football related.

Why must everything change for bloody football?!!

ITV4 are covering the Mickey mouse Europa League football that day.

Postby Andre147

hadi1258 wrote:DEAR FRIEND
THE COVERAGE OF THIS NICE TOURNAMENT IS ONLY BY ITV ?
IS THERE ANY WAY ( WEB STREAMING OR ..... ) FOR US ( ASIA COUNTRIES ) TO WATCH THIS ?
TNX

Go to Filmon.com and then on the UK Channels section, just select ITV 4 and there you have, by far the best way for watching this for those who don't live in the UK. Alternatively, FromSport usually has streams, but that website sometimes is slow and it isn't very reliable lately. Best bet is Filmon.