Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Champion of Champions Group 4

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
Ayrshirebhoy wrote:Hey, can anyone tell me what john did to get in this tournament? Can't remember the last time he picked up any silver.

On the plus side, at least that's one player who got here through rankings that won't win the tournament.

<ok>

Postby SnookerEd25

Andre147 wrote:This Scotch Whisky ad after every frame is the same as last year... pmsl

It will eventually get on my nerves later in the week <laugh>

Yes, and then you'll need a Whisky to calm your nerves.

Gentlemen, the Irony (raises toast)

Postby Andre147

Clara8633 wrote:If Hawkins wins this match, what are the chances that he'll beat Ding?

If Ding plays anything like he did v Dom, he'll get beat easily. He'll need to improve massively.

Postby hendry_fan

Higgins is continueing where he left ages ago,ok,one could argue that Hawkins has played very well in this match,but John did have chances.

Not only has Higgins play in general plunged,but his safety play has plunged dramaticaly,he used to be one of the greatest ever safety players,but lately even thats been awful by his standards!. :roll:

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:This Scotch Whisky ad after every frame is the same as last year... pmsl

It will eventually get on my nerves later in the week <laugh>

Yes, and then you'll need a Whisky to calm your nerves.

Gentlemen, the Irony (raises toast)

TV of character. :hatoff:

No, that did get a bit annoying, didn't it? :grrr:

Not in the same league as the incredible Incredible India adverts.

Postby hendry_fan

Well Johns havin problems even winnin a frame lately,never mind winnin a match!. :dizzy:

Pretty good stuff from Hawkins though!.

Postby Andre147

hendry_fan wrote:Higgins is continueing where he left ages ago,ok,one could argue that Hawkins has played very well in this match,but John did have chances.

Not only has Higgins play in general plunged,but his safety play has plunged dramaticaly,he used to be one of the greatest ever safety players,but lately even thats been awful by his standards!. :roll:

Yes you're right, Higgins potting hasn't been good, we all know that, but the thing is Higgins' safety game should be the last thing to fall apart in his game, and in recent times it has been awful.

McManus made a very good point in commentary, at his prime or close to it Higgins always used to to have the cue ball close to baulk cushion, nowadays he barely gets past baulk line most of the times, allowing his opponents in.

Higgins is well and truly finished as far as big tournanemts is concerned, may win another ranker but not a Major one like Masters, Worlds, UK.

Postby Skullman

Doubt he'll win a ranker either the way he's playing unless he hits a purple patch. And if he hits a purple patch I see no reason he couldn't win the Masters or UK, them being barely longer than a ranker.

Postby hendry_fan

Andre147 wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:Higgins is continueing where he left ages ago,ok,one could argue that Hawkins has played very well in this match,but John did have chances.

Yes you're right, Higgins potting hasn't been good, we all know that, but the thing is Higgins' safety game should be the last thing to fall apart in his game, and in recent times it has been awful.

McManus made a very good point in commentary, at his prime or close to it Higgins always used to to have the cue ball close to baulk cushion, nowadays he barely gets past baulk line most of the times, allowing his opponents in.

Higgins is well and truly finished as far as big tournanemts is concerned, may win another ranker but not a Major one like Masters, Worlds, UK.

Yep Andre,and because his safety play has also plunged,that means he,s givin his opponents even more chances!. :dizzy:

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:Was the COC last year the last time snooker was on ITV4? Must have been.

Doesn't seem a year, does it? :chin:

Before you know it we'll be discussing a world final :hyper:

Postby hendry_fan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:That was impressive from Hawkins. Higgins didn't do a lot wrong today, he was just outplayed.

Come on SnookerOverdrive!!,have you aleady had a beer too many?. <laugh>

John was rubbish today,in fact i can,t recall him doing much right in this match,yes,Barry played well,but John handed him numerous chances with his sloppy safety,not only that but John had chances himself which he blew!.

Postby Andre147

Jill Douglas <doh>

She was saying Barry met Ding here last year, Barry said Ding beat him 4-2 but Jill said no he beat you 4-1. When in fact Barry was absolutely right. <laugh>

That presenter always has that odd moment, last year was the same sometimes with some silly questions.

Anyway...

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:Doubt he'll win a ranker either the way he's playing unless he hits a purple patch. And if he hits a purple patch I see no reason he couldn't win the Masters or UK, them being barely longer than a ranker.

Just because things don't look good at the moment doesn't mean Higgins is finished for good. Things can turn around and with so many events these days I can see him (and Williams) easily win another couple of events before they retire.
Last edited by Snooker Overdrive on 03 Nov 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

hendry_fan wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:That was impressive from Hawkins. Higgins didn't do a lot wrong today, he was just outplayed.

John was rubbish today,in fact i can,t recall him doing much right in this match,yes,Barry played well,but John handed him numerous chances with his sloppy safety,not only that but John had chances himself which he blew!.

I think you're being a bit too harsh on John,ok he didnt play well, espedially his safety which let him down, but Barry made the most of his chances and John couldnt have done much else, the scoreline could have been closer but Barry could have won against anybody playing like that.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:Doubt he'll win a ranker either the way he's playing unless he hits a purple patch. And if he hits a purple patch I see no reason he couldn't win the Masters or UK, them being barely longer than a ranker.

Just because things don't look good at the moment doesn't mean Higgins is finished for good. Things can turn around and with so many events these days I can him (and Williams) easily win another couple of events before they retire.

Sorry, didn't make my point clear enough. Just saying if Higgins's form does improve, he's just as likely to win the UK or Masters as he is a regular ranking event, considering they're not much longer than a ranker. But of he plays like he did against Li Hang last week or he did here, I doubt he'll win a ranker.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:Jill Douglas <doh>

She was saying Barry met Ding here last year, Barry said Ding beat him 4-2 but Jill said no he beat you 4-1. When in fact Barry was absolutely right. <laugh>

That presenter always has that odd moment, last year was the same sometimes with some silly questions.

Anyway...

That's why I immediately turned my TV off after Barry won :-D

Postby hendry_fan

Andre147 wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:

I think you're being a bit too harsh on John,ok he didnt play well, espedially his safety which let him down, but Barry made the most of his chances and John couldnt have done much else, the scoreline could have been closer but Barry could have won against anybody playing like that.

"a bit harsh on John",aye,right,nothin harsh about mentioning him playing sloppy safety and him blowin the chances he had Andre!. :no:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Just because things don't look good at the moment doesn't mean Higgins is finished for good. Things can turn around and with so many events these days I can him (and Williams) easily win another couple of events before they retire.

Sorry, didn't make my point clear enough. Just saying if Higgins's form does improve, he's just as likely to win the UK or Masters as he is a regular ranking event, considering they're not much longer than a ranker. But of he plays like he did against Li Hang last week or he did here, I doubt he'll win a ranker.

I agree. Maybe not the Masters though with Selby and Ronnie usually playing their best snooker there. Also I expect him to drop out of the top 16 sooner rather than later.

Postby mantorok

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Just because things don't look good at the moment doesn't mean Higgins is finished for good. Things can turn around and with so many events these days I can see him (and Williams) easily win another couple of events before they retire.

If this was 5-10 years ago then maybe, but the standard is so high these days that you have to be consistently playing well throughout an entire tournament to win, there are no easy draws any more and everyone is playing so much snooker that they've stopped fearing anyone.

Gone are the days where you could wing it through half-baked, sure you might be able to do it in a PTC event occasionally but even then you risk coming up against an in-form player.

Williams is looking more likely than Higgins right now but I don't fancy his chances much, and why is Higgins even in this tournament anyway? What did he win?