Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Champion of Champions Group 4

Postby Snooker Overdrive

hendry_fan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:That was impressive from Hawkins. Higgins didn't do a lot wrong today, he was just outplayed.

Come on SnookerOverdrive!!,have you aleady had a beer too many?. <laugh>

John was rubbish today,in fact i can,t recall him doing much right in this match,yes,Barry played well,but John handed him numerous chances with his sloppy safety,not only that but John had chances himself which he blew!.

I think you're being a bit too harsh on John,ok he didnt play well, espedially his safety which let him down, but Barry made the most of his chances and John couldnt have done much else, the scoreline could have been closer but Barry could have won against anybody playing like that.

"a bit harsh on John",aye,right,nothin harsh about mentioning him playing sloppy safety and him blowin the chances he had Andre!. :no:

Come on, he wasn't that bad today. Obviously nowhere near where he was 3 years ago but no shame in losing 4-1 to a Barry Hawkins in terrific form.

Postby Andre147

hendry_fan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:That was impressive from Hawkins. Higgins didn't do a lot wrong today, he was just outplayed.

Come on SnookerOverdrive!!,have you aleady had a beer too many?. <laugh>

John was rubbish today,in fact i can,t recall him doing much right in this match,yes,Barry played well,but John handed him numerous chances with his sloppy safety,not only that but John had chances himself which he blew!.

I think you're being a bit too harsh on John,ok he didnt play well, espedially his safety which let him down, but Barry made the most of his chances and John couldnt have done much else, the scoreline could have been closer but Barry could have won against anybody playing like that.

"a bit harsh on John",aye,right,nothin harsh about mentioning him playing sloppy safety and him blowin the chances he had Andre!. :no:

Fair enough mate, but the fact remains Hawkins played very well today, and this was far from being a performance from Higgins like the one he had against Li Hang last week.

Postby Skullman

mantorok wrote:If this was 5-10 years ago then maybe, but the standard is so high these days that you have to be consistently playing well throughout an entire tournament to win, there are no easy draws any more and everyone is playing so much snooker that they've stopped fearing anyone.

Gone are the days where you could wing it through half-baked, sure you might be able to do it in a PTC event occasionally but even then you risk coming up against an in-form player.

Williams is looking more likely than Higgins right now but I don't fancy his chances much, and why is Higgins even in this tournament anyway? What did he win?

Skullman wrote:Rankings. There were three spots left open for rankings and he was second highest of those not already qualified.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:Doubt he'll win a ranker either the way he's playing unless he hits a purple patch. And if he hits a purple patch I see no reason he couldn't win the Masters or UK, them being barely longer than a ranker.

Just because things don't look good at the moment doesn't mean Higgins is finished for good. Things can turn around and with so many events these days I can him (and Williams) easily win another couple of events before they retire.

Sorry, didn't make my point clear enough. Just saying if Higgins's form does improve, he's just as likely to win the UK or Masters as he is a regular ranking event, considering they're not much longer than a ranker. But of he plays like he did against Li Hang last week or he did here, I doubt he'll win a ranker.

I agree. Maybe not the Masters though with Selby and Ronnie usually playing their best snooker there. Also I expect him to drop out of the top 16 sooner rather than later.

Yes SO I also expect Higgins to fall of top 16 very soon, might even happen this season if his poor form continues.

Postby Clara8633

mantorok wrote:If this was 5-10 years ago then maybe, but the standard is so high these days that you have to be consistently playing well throughout an entire tournament to win, there are no easy draws any more and everyone is playing so much snooker that they've stopped fearing anyone.

Gone are the days where you could wing it through half-baked, sure you might be able to do it in a PTC event occasionally but even then you risk coming up against an in-form player.

Williams is looking more likely than Higgins right now but I don't fancy his chances much, and why is Higgins even in this tournament anyway? What did he win?

He got here via ranking (second highest on the rankings list who hasn't won a title since the last CoC).

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Chance Mags could fall out soon as well, and then there would no Scottish top 16 players.

It must be AGES since no Scotish player was in the top 16...

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:Chance Mags could fall out soon as well, and then there would no Scottish top 16 players.

Maybe Alan McManus will save the Scottish pride and return into the top 16.

There's the irony, the oldest Scot player should have been the one having the worst results, but like you say he has a good chance of geting into top 16 again since 2005 If I'm not mistaken.

Postby SnookerEd25

mantorok wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:Doubt he'll win a ranker either the way he's playing unless he hits a purple patch. And if he hits a purple patch I see no reason he couldn't win the Masters or UK, them being barely longer than a ranker.

Just because things don't look good at the moment doesn't mean Higgins is finished for good. Things can turn around and with so many events these days I can see him (and Williams) easily win another couple of events before they retire.

If this was 5-10 years ago then maybe, but the standard is so high these days that you have to be consistently playing well throughout an entire tournament to win, there are no easy draws any more and everyone is playing so much snooker that they've stopped fearing anyone.

West-of-Scotland over 35s Championship, I think...

Postby Andre147

Moving to the match itself, I think Hawkins will beat Ding given both players performances in their respective matches. Ding will have to improve massively if he's going to stand a chance against an in form Hawkins.

Postby PLtheRef

Andre147 wrote:

It must be AGES since no Scotish player was in the top 16...

1987-88 was the last season to feature no Scots in the top 16. Hendry being 23rd was the top ranked player, and moved to Number 4 for the 1988-89 season. There's been a Scot in the elite ever since

Postby Wildey

Standards really isnt higher than it was 15 to 20 years ago its a publicity fallacy to even sugest it.

yes Standards are high but nothing compared to what Higgins, Williams and co was producing all thoes years ago and on a more consistent basis...only last week Williams beat Hawkins 6-2 today Hawkins looked in Great form.

Players today needs to find consistency in their game which nobody really has.

Postby Clara8633

Wildey wrote:Standards really isnt higher than it was 15 to 20 years ago its a publicity fallacy to even sugest it.

yes Standards are high but nothing compared to what Higgins, Williams and co was producing all thoes years ago and on a more consistent basis...only last week Williams beat Hawkins 6-2 today Hawkins looked in Great form.

Players today needs to find consistency in their game which nobody really has.

Hawkins ALWAYS gets beaten by Williams.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:Barry will win this match.

Was about to say the same, unless Ding really finds his A game and scores heavily when in.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:SOMEBODY AGRES WITH MY PREDICTION! :shock:

Given your accurate predicts Ding will end up winning the match <laugh>

Postby Andre147

Just noticed... why are players still wearing ties in the evening when it was only required in the afternoon like last year? :chin:

EDIT: Sory the CoC last year had ties in all matches, it was the BBC who chose ties for afternoon and bow ties for evening at the Masters.

Postby Clara8633

SnookerFan wrote:Dress codes. :zzz:

Who cares what they wear. I watch snooker to see the best players in the world play snooker. Not because I want fashion advice.

They'll have to wear professional clothes though. I wouldn't like it if they turned up in t-shirts for matches.