Post a reply

CoC player list

Postby Tamctus

I had a look on how the CoC list of players is shaping up according to this qualification criteria. That list isn't up to date though as one Asian PTC has been cancelled and a few tournaments have been rescheduled.

Players already qualified:
Ronnie O'Sullivan (Champion of Champions)
Neil Robertson (UK Championship)
Ding Junhui (German Masters)
Judd Trump (Championship League)
Shaun Murphy (World Open)
Barry Hawkins (PTC Finals)
Mark Selby (World Championship)
Mark Allen (ET2)
Stuart Bingham (AT4)
Dominic Dale (Shoot-Out)
Stephen Maguire (6-reds)

There are 11 players already qualified with only five tournaments to play before CoC so if we don't get new winners in all the remaining tournaments (Shanghai, India, International Championship, ET3, AT2), organisers have to come up with something else to fill up the 16 places. One possibility is to do like last year and invite the highest-ranked not already qualified players (Mavis & Murphy last year iirc).

Top of the not already qualified players provisionally in the third cutoff (after IC, before CoC):
7. Marco Fu
11. John Higgins
12. Ricky Walden
13. Joe Perry
14. Ali Carter
16. Graeme Dott
17. Robert Milkins
18. Mark Davis
19. Matthew Stevens
20. Xiao Guodong
At the moment Fu, Higgins, Walden, Perry and Carter would get the invitation if there were only repeated winners AND the places were filled with highest ranked players.

The other option is to fill the remaining places with 16 last latest tournament winners, even before last years CoC.

Five latest tournament winners before 2013 CoC:
Liang Wenbo (AT3)
Steve Davis (Seniors WC)
Ju Reti (AT2)
Mark Davis (6-reds)
Ricky Walden (ET3)

But as Ju Reti hasn't played in Europe yet this season, and I doubt he'd make the trip for CoC, his place could go to either Aditya Mehta (World Games) [unlikely] or Mark Williams (ET2) [likely].

I would personally go with the latter option because in my opinion the tournament should consist only of tournament winners like the title of the tounament says.Doesn't really matter if the victory came 1 year or 1,5 years ago as long as the players participating are the 16 latest winners.

Re: CoC player list

Postby Skullman

Great. Hopefully it'll be a Selby v Judd match up. They haven't played a proper match since that China Open final.

Postby Clara8633

Trump isn't playing well (eg, the IC round 2) so Selby may have an advantage there.

Postby Clara8633

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Or it'll be a Trump v Davis match up :wave:

I seriously doubt that :P

Postby Skullman

Clara8633 wrote:Trump isn't playing well (eg, the IC round 2) so Selby may have an advantage there.

Selby went out even earlier. Of course Mags might win, and then it'll be Mags v Selby like last year.

Postby Andre147

Who will Ronnie play I wonder...

Gonna bet and say Murphy

Postby Skullman

I think it'll probably be three of Fu, Allen, Walden and IC winner/Carter on Friday with Robbo as they're still in the event and they were basing it on how late they go out. So ROS will likely have whoever's left.

Postby Clara8633

Skullman wrote:
Clara8633 wrote:Trump isn't playing well (eg, the IC round 2) so Selby may have an advantage there.

Selby went out even earlier. Of course Mags might win, and then it'll be Mags v Selby like last year.

I know, but Selby has been pretty consistent I think (getting to the SFs in the Shanghai Masters, reaching two PTC QFs, and winning one).

Postby Clara8633

If Murphy does meet ROS early on, he might even win if he plays like he did in EPTC3.

Postby Andre147

The Final 2 Groups have been decided:

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 57,00.html

Wednesday 5th, Group 1 (first match at 1.00pm)

Ronnie O'Sullivan (1) v Stuart Bingham
Shaun Murphy (2) v Marco Fu

Friday 7th, Group 3 (first match at 1.00pm)

Neil Robertson (1) v Ali Carter (or winner of International if not already qualified)
Ricky Walden (2) v Mark Allen

So Ronnie will have a rematch with Bingo like last year's Final, and then either Fu or Murphy.

And Robbo will face Carter unless Milkins or Williams win the International Championship.

Postby vodkadiet

I hope Williams or Milkins get the last place.