Post a reply

Re: International Championship Final : Allen v Walden

Postby AC or LT?

Wildey wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:He's not really going to be that upset given the runner up prize. Disappointed, but laughing to the bank.

Serious

if i lost a match id be gutted never mind reaching a final and end up a failure.

A failure is getting whitewashed, losing 10-1, 10-2, 10-3, 10-4, 10-5.

If you're constantly in the game and take it fairly close you're not a failure. Getting to a final is a success in itself - it means your the second best player over that tournaments entrants. That's 126 people you're better than.

Postby Wildey

AC or LT? wrote:
Wildey wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:He's not really going to be that upset given the runner up prize. Disappointed, but laughing to the bank.

Serious

if i lost a match id be gutted never mind reaching a final and end up a failure.

If you're constantly in the game and take it fairly close you're not a failure. Getting to a final is a success in itself - it means your the second best player over that tournaments entrants. That's 126 people you're better than.

Losing a final is failure. Only one player per tournament that hasn't failed and that's the champion.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Serious

Losing a final is failure. Only one player per tournament that hasn't failed and that's the champion.

That's right, of course we can't be naive and think it's the same losing a first round match and the same losing a Final because it isn't, but all players want to win the Final, not just be happy with a runners up check, otherwise they wouldn't even bother turning up to the Final in the first place.

But equally, it isn't the same either losing a Final in a decider or being steamrolled, Steve Davis was one ball away from being 7 time World Champ whereas John Parrot was 15 frames away from winning at the Crucible in 1989. What I'm saying is losing a Final is never nice, but there are diferent ways of losing.

Postby Clara8633

Andre147 wrote:But equally, it isn't the same either losing a Final in a decider or being steamrolled, Steve Davis was one ball away from being 7 time World Champ whereas John Parrot was 15 frames away from winning at the Crucible in 1989. What I'm saying is losing a Final is never nice, but there are diferent ways of losing.

The closer you are to winning a final, the more it hurts when you lose. So in your two examples, I'd say that Steve Davis's loss was more painful than John Parrot's.

Postby Vallomas

Andre147 wrote:Steve Davis was one ball away from being 7 time World Champ

But fortunately he missed it and my hero, Dennis Taylor, became a legend. :happy:

Anyway, back on IC final, Walden was flawless in the second session and deserved the title. Well done for him. but Allen proved that he is one of the best and most consistent players in the world right now.

Postby Wildey

Clara8633 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:But equally, it isn't the same either losing a Final in a decider or being steamrolled, Steve Davis was one ball away from being 7 time World Champ whereas John Parrot was 15 frames away from winning at the Crucible in 1989. What I'm saying is losing a Final is never nice, but there are diferent ways of losing.

The closer you are to winning a final, the more it hurts when you lose. So in your two examples, I'd say that Steve Davis's loss was more painful than John Parrot's.

absolutely.

losing round 1 is much easier to take than going through the effort then losing

Postby TheSaviour

Vallomas wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Steve Davis was one ball away from being 7 time World Champ

But fortunately he missed it and my hero, Dennis Taylor, became a legend. :happy:

Anyway, back on IC final, Walden was flawless in the second session and deserved the title. Well done for him. but Allen proved that he is one of the best and most consistent players in the world right now.

That´s right. I followed it scoring wise from live score from 7-7 (after Allen brilliantly levelled and raised the pressure) , and what a stuff form Ricky Walden. As soon as the frames started, he immediately got in and didn´t let it slip. 35 and counting, - 55 and counting .. - 75 and counting...

Looks like we finally might have got "a new Ronnie", just like 10 years ago Matthew Stevens was called the new Hendry. When Matthew had those brilliant Sheffield - statistics and he comprehensevely ousted Hendry, Hunter and cos there in a great matches.

Postby SnookerFan

Clara8633 wrote:

You wouldn't know it, the way Steve Davis has been banging on about it ever since.