Topic locked

International Championship Quarter Finals Discussion !!!

Postby Skullman

Image Image Image
Sunday 26th of October~Sunday 2nd of November in Chengdu, China

Another round at the International Championships and some degree of normalcy has returned. 4 out of the 5 top 16 seeds left progressed, including five time World Champion Ronnie O'Sullivan, last year's runner up Marco Fu and runner up at the recent Shanghai Masters, Mark Allen. With twice World Champion Mark Williams and young rising player Michael White in the mix, who will make it to the semi finals?

DRAW

Quarter Finals

Michael White v Mark Allen 1-1
Mark Williams v Ronnie O'Sullivan O'Sullivan leads 27-9
-----------------------------------
Ricky Walden v Jamie Burnett Never played before
Robert Milkins v Marco Fu Fu leads 6-3

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: International Championship Quarter Finals Discussion !!!

Postby Cloud Strife

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Michael White had quite an easy run to the quarters, so I expect Allen to beat him.

Ronnie - Allen over 2 sessions surely would be a great semi final.

Allen doesn't fear him so it should be a good match if it happens.

Postby Clara8633

Cloud Strife wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Michael White had quite an easy run to the quarters, so I expect Allen to beat him.

How did you know Allen doesn't fear ROS?

So that just shows Allen's got bottle ;-)

Postby Cloud Strife

Skullman wrote:Just because he doesn't fear him it doesn't mean he'll play well against him.

That's true, but you give yourself a much better chance of playing well if you aren't in awe of your opponent, like some others are with Ronnie.

Postby Andre147

motorhead wrote:probably already discusses but in case Ronnie makes it to the final that means he'll have two days to rest before his CoC match including the travel from China to UK?

Ronnie plays on Wednesday so yeah not much rest if he makes the Final, he could have done with playing on Friday like Robbo will but nevermind, if it means he'll win this title jetlag is the least of my concern and his I reckon.

Postby Cloud Strife

motorhead wrote:probably already discusses but in case Ronnie makes it to the final that means he'll have two days to rest before his CoC match including the travel from China to UK?

It's not ideal, but I do hope he goes all out for this. I'd much rather see him win the IC than the CoC.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:

It's not ideal, but I do hope he goes all out for this. I'd much rather see him win the IC than the CoC.

<ok> Very true, this is a big ranking event, on par with the UK Champs now, so yeah I won't even mind if Ronnie loses first round at the CoC as long as he wins this title.

Postby Cloud Strife

Clara8633 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

How did you know Allen doesn't fear ROS?

So that just shows Allen's got bottle ;-)

Allen just strikes me as that sort of person, I don't think he's the type to fear anyone.

That said, it doesn't mean he'll automatically be good enough to beat Ronnie, but at least he gives himself half a chance by not being scared to death of Ronnie like some others.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

<ok> Very true, this is a big ranking event, on par with the UK Champs now, so yeah I won't even mind if Ronnie loses first round at the CoC as long as he wins this title.

Yeah, exactly. You could say this is now the only big event Ronnie has never won in his career.

It will set him apart from Stephen Hendry, who also never won this.

Postby Clara8633

Cloud Strife wrote:Allen just strikes me as that sort of person, I don't think he's the type to fear anyone.

That said, it doesn't mean he'll automatically be good enough to beat Ronnie, but at least he gives himself half a chance by not being scared to death of Ronnie like some others.

I have that feeling too, it's like Allen isn't afraid of anybody.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

How about winning the IC and the CoC in the span of a week? :-D

Postby motorhead

Andre147 wrote:

Ronnie plays on Wednesday so yeah not much rest if he makes the Final, he could have done with playing on Friday like Robbo will but nevermind, if it means he'll win this title jetlag is the least of my concern and his I reckon.

thanks, I actually thought he was scheduled for Tuesday so that's slightly better, I too wouldn't mind if it means winning the IC as he could use the momentum.
Last edited by motorhead on 29 Oct 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby mantorok

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

How about winning the IC and the CoC in the span of a week? :-D

Whatever happens now he should be reasonably sharp for the CoC, this would be the better tournament to win though especially over the longer matches.

Postby Clara8633

Snooker Overdrive wrote:If I look at the draw, I see only 2 players who have a chance of stopping Ronnie this week. Mark Allen and Marco Fu.

But who knows maybe Milkins will end up playing Ronnie in the final :-D That would be something <laugh>

What are the chances that Milkins will beat ROS if he reaches the final xD

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Clara8633 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:If I look at the draw, I see only 2 players who have a chance of stopping Ronnie this week. Mark Allen and Marco Fu.

But who knows maybe Milkins will end up playing Ronnie in the final :-D That would be something <laugh>

If I had to sum it up in two words: not good.

Milkins played Ronnie over a total of 35 frames so far in his career. Ronnie won 30 of these frames.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Clara8633 wrote:

If I had to sum it up in two words: not good.

Milkins played Ronnie over a total of 35 frames so far in his career. Ronnie won 30 of these frames.

lol...

Anyway, I would like a Ronnie v Fu Final, as long as Ronnie wins, because Fu could give him a good game and he has beaten Ronnie in a Final before.

We've not talked about Walden, but he too can be a dangeous opponent, remember Walden beat Ronnie in that Shanghai Final and Ronnie actually played well there.

Postby Andre147

If Ronnie makes the semis (very likely I think) I decided I will wake up at 6 a.m for the start of the first session on Saturday, the same if he makes the Final... won't be easy as I like to sleep, but it's for a good cause :-D