Topic locked

Indian Open Postponed

Postby Skullman

World Snooker wrote:This season's Indian Open world ranking event in Mumbai has been postponed, with the original dates of 13-17 October 2014 changed to 10-14 March 2015.

World Snooker has been advised by the Billiards and Snooker Federation of India to change the dates of the tournament. This follows the recent calling of a State Election in Maharashtra during the October dates.

The qualifying round in Barnsley was due to take place from September 18 to 21 and has been moved to February.

World Snooker Chairman Barry Hearn said: "This is an unfortunate set of circumstances but following the advice we have taken, we have no choice but to postpone the tournament. We have worked swiftly to ensure new dates have been secured.

"Last year's inaugural Indian Open in New Delhi was a fantastic success and we see snooker in India as having incredible potential for growth. We look forward to next March and the chance for players to experience Mumbai for the first time - and for the fans there to witness the world's best in action."

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 50,00.html

Re: Indian Open Postponed

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Just saw that come up on Twitter.

<doh>

What a farce.

How is it a farce?

its political cercanstances of the country in question.

its better to move it than it being overshadowd by political bullocks

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:its political cercanstances of the country in question.

its better to move it than it being overshadowd by political bullocks

Because you shouldn't mess with snooker, dagnammit. :grrr:

rofl

Postby fridge46

Players are going to rack up the travel miles in March:

10-14: Indian Open
16-22: World Grand Prix, Wales
24-28: PTC Finals, Thailand

Postby roy142857

That's a lot of travelling!

I guess they snooker authorities didn't see this coming or they wouldn't be running the qualifiers for the wild card spots now (assume that'll remain valid). Not sure of the reasoning, but may well be that the venue is needed for the election and takes precedence regardless of what else is booked.

Postby Cloud Strife

fridge46 wrote:Players are going to rack up the travel miles in March:

10-14: Indian Open
16-22: World Grand Prix, Wales
24-28: PTC Finals, Thailand

Good.

They need to get used to it. Snooker is going global!

Postby Tamctus

I can already see many players skipping this one. Especially those qualified to the PTC finals.

Postby PLtheRef

Have to say that I cannot see why the State Election requires the postponement

The UK General Election campaign will be well underway next April. Shall we move the World Championships to early June?

Postby Skullman

Different country, different scenario. Don't forget India is a massive and very populous country.

Postby PLtheRef

Skullman wrote:Different country, different scenario. Don't forget India is a massive and very populous country.

Still I cannot see the reason why an election should postpone the competition really.

Postby fridge46

PLtheRef wrote:
Skullman wrote:Different country, different scenario. Don't forget India is a massive and very populous country.

Still I cannot see the reason why an election should postpone the competition really.

Cricket is like a religion in India, but the beginning of the Indian Premier League had to be held in UAE due to the Indian general election.

So its just not Snooker that has been affected.

Postby Andre147

Tamctus wrote:I can already see many players skipping this one. Especially those qualified to the PTC finals.

Me too, the shedulle is terrible, I know it had to be this way and better have the event than not have it at all, but I too see some of the top players giving this event a miss.

I for one would do it, would play the new World Grand Prix event in Wales and then travel to Thailand for the PTC Grand Finals. It's a shame because snooker is growing in India but I see some players doing this.

Postby Gnomy

Hurrahhhh!!!
Looks like I will be able to travel to Mumbai to catch the action live :)