Post a reply

Re: Sports Lottery Cup Wuxi Classic Final Discussion !!!

Postby Andre147

Changed my avatar, at last.

Was nice having it for a whole year, but now we have another World Champ. :john:

RIP Chris Turner, he had some excelent snooker programmes from the good old days on his website, like this one. :hatoff:
Last edited by Andre147 on 29 Jun 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Forget about Ding, he should be aiming for Sourface's 36.

You know Robertson is 32 not 22?

Think Cloud meant Ding should be aiming for 36. Doubt he'd manage it though. He'd have to keep up last season's pace for another five years.

36 or not. I don't think its gonna happen. But the most important thing for him is now winning the World anyway.

Yeah agree, until he wins that, there will be always something missing on his CV.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Think Cloud meant Ding should be aiming for 36. Doubt he'd manage it though. He'd have to keep up last season's pace for another five years.

36 or not. I don't think its gonna happen. But the most important thing for him is now winning the World anyway.

The season start won't be easy for Ding I think. His motivation must be pretty low at the moment. He won shitloads of titles last season, a ranking win isn't that special to him anymore. He wants the big one and he will have to wait nearly a year until he again has a chance to win it.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

The season start won't be easy for Ding I think. His motivation must be pretty low at the moment. He won shitloads of titles last season, a ranking win isn't that special to him anymore. He wants the big one and he will have to wait nearly a year until he again has a chance to win it.

A ranking win is always special SO, no matter how many you have, but yeah the World Title is the Big one missing for him.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:The season start won't be easy for Ding I think. His motivation must be pretty low at the moment. He won shitloads of titles last season, a ranking win isn't that special to him anymore. He wants the big one and he will have to wait nearly a year until he again has a chance to win it.

If ordinary rankers meant so little, you'd think he stop trying so hard when he reached three or four last season. Plus, he has to try hard in China at least or he won't hear the end of it from his fellow countrymen.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:The season start won't be easy for Ding I think. His motivation must be pretty low at the moment. He won shitloads of titles last season, a ranking win isn't that special to him anymore. He wants the big one and he will have to wait nearly a year until he again has a chance to win it.

If ordinary rankers meant so little, you'd think he stop trying so hard when he reached three or four last season. Plus, he has to try hard in China at least or he won't hear the end of it from his fellow countrymen.

He chased Hendry's record last season after that superb start with 3 ranking wins in a row. Doing it again the next season is an entirely different matter.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Don't get be me wrong. Of course a ranking win is ALWAYS special. But if you win so many in a short span of time, you start to getting used to it.

I'm pretty sure Hendry enjoyed his Malta Cup win in 2005 more than is Grand Prix win in 1995 for example.

Thats a good point ypu make, but as Skull says it's all about keep winning, all the greats wouldnt be the same players if they hadn't won these "ordinary rankers".

Majors are more important yes, but the others are as well.

Ding may win 2 or 3 this season, don't think he can emulate last season's achievments. He would be more than happy if he "only" won the World Title this season.

Postby Andy Spark

Skullman wrote:
If you're aiming for the 'centre of two successful outcomes' you're not playing a shot perfectly. And I don't know how the perfect way he played the shot was perfect if the second red wouldn't drop. The way he played it might have been the least likely to fail, but that doesn't make it perfect.

There is more than one type of "perfection" that can be achieved within a scenario because "perfection" as a target can be allied to any number of individual features within that scenario. Was I saying that the entire scenario was perfect? No, I isolated one feature of the shot. I isolated the playing of the shot which comes after the shot selection. He could have selected a different shot with a smaller error margin, this would have eliminated the problem of hitting absolutely bang on where he aimed. I have no proof that he did not actually select one side or other, but I strongly suspect he went for the larger error margin on either side of the "perfect" aim. However, an entirely "perfect" scenario from a "perfect" player would have seen him select the shot with a smaller error margin because the perfect player always makes no errors and needs no error margins; indeed, "perfection" in this unrealistic sense has no concept of the error margin.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Seven hours until the next ranking event. :grrr:

I remember the good old days when it was always 700 hours until the next ranking event :sad:

That's only about a month. Thought it was worse in the old Rodney Walker days.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Seven hours until the next ranking event. :grrr:

I remember the good old days when it was always 700 hours until the next ranking event :sad:

Yet some players these days complain they play too much <laugh>

They should take a long snooker break like Ronnie <ok>

Postby Andy Spark

Snooker Overdrive wrote:@Andy:

why are you still going on about that plant? <laugh> what's wrong with you? rofl

Mostly because it's all good practice. My written English skills are very good because I practice. I also wanted to defend myself against an accusation by Wild (the rather uncouth man that mods this place) that I didn't know the meaning of the word "perfect".

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:Mostly because it's all good practice. My written English skills are very good because I practice. I also wanted to defend myself against an accusation by Wild (the rather uncouth man that mods this place) that I didn't know the meaning of the word "perfect".

It wasn't the correct use of the word 'perfect', let's all move on. Otherwise we'll still be discussing it when the Australian Open has started. rofl

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Don't get be me wrong. Of course a ranking win is ALWAYS special. But if you win so many in a short span of time, you start to getting used to it.

I'm pretty sure Hendry enjoyed his Malta Cup win in 2005 more than is Grand Prix win in 1995 for example.

Thats a good point ypu make, but as Skull says it's all about keep winning, all the greats wouldnt be the same players if they hadn't won these "ordinary rankers".

Majors are more important yes, but the others are as well.

Ding may win 2 or 3 this season, don't think he can emulate last season's achievments. He would be more than happy if he "only" won the World Title this season.

Every tournament is important but on a scale of importance but as a Professional Winning every tournament you enter should be the Goal. Hendry hated losing but Losing in Finals was the ultimate kick in the teeth watching someone else pick up your trophy.

Losing is failure and it can breed more failure.

Postby Jester82

SnookerFan wrote:TWITTER ATTACK!

Neil Robertson ‏@nr147
So happy to win the final but without Joe Perry I would not be where I am today. He is a great friend and an all round a class guy!

He was moved when the match was officially over. Even shed tears.

Postby SnookerFan

Jester82 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:TWITTER ATTACK!

Neil Robertson ‏@nr147
So happy to win the final but without Joe Perry I would not be where I am today. He is a great friend and an all round a class guy!

He was moved when the match was officially over. Even shed tears.

Yeah, that was good sportsmanship. :hatoff:

Postby Odrl

SnookerFan wrote:It wasn't the correct use of the word 'perfect', let's all move on. Otherwise we'll still be discussing it when the Australian Open has started. rofl

I'm sorry to do just that, but I have to strongly disagree that the plant was played perfectly. ;-) In fact, it was played pretty poorly, as Perry hit the completely wrong side of the red. And if he had hit it even further on that side it certainly wouldn't have gone it, it would have missed even more convincingly. Unless the first red double kissed it in, which would have been pretty lucky.

So a shame for Perry, but that was almost a sitter and he messed it up...

Postby Andy Spark

Odrl wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:It wasn't the correct use of the word 'perfect', let's all move on. Otherwise we'll still be discussing it when the Australian Open has started. rofl

I'm sorry to do just that, but I have to strongly disagree that the plant was played perfectly. ;-) In fact, it was played pretty poorly, as Perry hit the completely wrong side of the red. And if he had hit it even further on that side it certainly wouldn't have gone it, it would have missed even more convincingly. Unless the first red double kissed it in, which would have been pretty lucky.

So a shame for Perry, but that was almost a sitter and he messed it up...

@Odrl, I can't find the shot on youtube. I would prefer to discuss it with another look at the footage so I can be absolutely certain.

@Snookerfan, I have an A-level in English literature, believe me when I say I can use the word "perfect" in an appropriate context.

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:@Odrl, I can't find the shot on youtube. I would prefer to discuss it with another look at the footage so I can be absolutely certain.

@Snookerfan, I have an A-level in English literature, believe me when I say I can use the word "perfect" in an appropriate context.

Well, if we're boasting, I have an A-Level in English Language. :D I had to find a college that did it specifically, as it was such a rare course. <laugh>

Postby Muppet147

Andy Spark wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:@Andy:

why are you still going on about that plant? <laugh> what's wrong with you? rofl

Mostly because it's all good practice. My written English skills are very good because I practice. I also wanted to defend myself against an accusation by Wild (the rather uncouth man that mods this place) that I didn't know the meaning of the word "perfect".

The uncouth one shouldn't be lecturing anyone in English.