Topic locked

Sports Lottery Cup Wuxi Classic Last 16 Discussion !!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Monday 23rd~Sunday 29th of June in Wuxi City, China

World Champion Mark Selby has been sent packing by Liang Wenbo in a high quality match with Former World Champions John Higgins, Mark Williams and Graeme Dott also out.

But theres plenty of quality left as Defending Champion Neil Robertson, Shaun Murphy, Marco Fu, Stuart Bingham, Barry Hawkins, Stephen Maguire and Judd Trump still in hoping to start off the season in style.

Who will reach the Quarter Finals?

DRAW

Last 16

Neil Robertson v Michael Holt Robertson leads 5-1
Zhao Xintong v Shaun Murphy Never Played before
Marco Fu v Stuart Bingham Marco Fu leads 4-3
Alan McManus v Barry Hawkins 2-2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin Gould v Ryan Day Gould leads 3-2
Stephen Maguire v Judd Trump Maguire leads 9-2
Cao Yupeng v Robin Hull Never Played before
Joe Perry v Liang Wenbo 1-1

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Wuxi Classic Last 16 Discussion !!!

Postby Skullman

TV matches confirmed by Dave Hendon. Zhao Xintong v Murphy and Robbo v Holt in the morning, while Perry v Liang and Judd v Mags are the afternoon matches.

Postby Wildey

Thursday 26th of June

7.30am

Neil Robertson v Michael Holt Eurosport
Zhao Xintong v Shaun Murphy Eurosport
Marco Fu v Stuart Bingham
Alan McManus v Barry Hawkins

12.30pm

Martin Gould v Ryan Day
Stephen Maguire v Judd Trump Eurosport
Cao Yupeng v Robin Hull
Joe Perry v Liang Wenbo Eurosport

Postby Wildey

Michael Holt is having a blinding start to the season on £18,000 already including the £5,000 he gets from the Aussie open.

Postby Wildey

Neil Robertson 2-0 Michael Holt
Zhao Xintong 1-3 Shaun Murphy
Marco Fu 2-1 Stuart Bingham
Alan McManus 1-2 Barry Hawkins

Postby Wildey

although leading 3-1 shaun murphy highest break has been 45 in the 4th frame

Postby Wildey

yesterday against Michael Georgiou it was a struggle for neil and hes not really hit top form today but he is still there and still fighting and takes a 3-0 lead over Holt

Postby Odrl

Wildey wrote:although leading 3-1 shaun murphy highest break has been 45 in the 4th frame

Yeah, plenty of chances needed from both players in the first four frames. Zhao Xintong should really have been 2-0 in front rather than behind. He threw a couple of chances away in the first frame, then got past snookers required in the second frame, but missed the pink and immediately allowed Murphy to get the snooker he needed. After Murphy got good pots on pink and black I was beginning to think Zhao would crack, and I suppose the third frame did follow a similar pattern. Zhao got to 40 and finished on nothing after the split, then got a good long pot and immediately missed an easy yellow, and he played some poor safety as well. But luckily for him Murphy was just as bad, so Zhao was able to make it 2-1.

He had another chance in the fourth frame, after Murphy missed the black with all the reds spread, but with the black and pink unavailable Zhao struggled to keep position and broke down early, while Murphy took his chance.

The lack of experience is really telling here, in my opinion. Zhao plays ridiculously fast and makes mistakes as a result. He definitely needs to think about shot selection more, and he should give himself more time and compose himself on key shots...

Postby Wildey

like so many players of this generation its about copying Ronnie rather than play their natural game within themselves.

Postby Wildey

Neil Robertson 3-1 Michael Holt
Zhao Xintong 1-3 Shaun Murphy
Marco Fu 2-2 Stuart Bingham
Alan McManus 2-2 Barry Hawkins

Postby Odrl

Wildey wrote:like so many players of this generation its about copying Ronnie rather than play their natural game within themselves.

Possibly, yes, but of course it's much easier to play fast if you are potting sitter after sitter. Unfortunately Zhao's positional play today keeps leaving him with difficult shots and he keeps messing them up. Just now he got another good long pot but cannoned the blue and finished on difficult pots on the baulk colours. Within five seconds he was going for the brown and just played a hit-and-hope towards the pack, even though nothing went anywhere. Of course he missed the brown and left nothing, so it was a bit of a pointless shot.

Like a number of left-handers he pots really well, but lacks a bit of finesse in the balls. He did say yesterday in his post-match comments that playing the top players gives him the chance to see what his weaknesses are, so let's hope he learns from this. Good lead in the fifth frame, but Murphy could come back yet again...

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:although leading 3-1 shaun murphy highest break has been 45 in the 4th frame

Like you kept saying when Robbo was on for the Century of Centuries last season, it's not what your biggest break is, it's how many frames you win.

Postby Skullman

Another frame thrown away by Zhao. Saw some glimpses of his talent but saw a lot more of his lack of experience and poor shot selection.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:like so many players of this generation its about copying Ronnie rather than play their natural game within themselves.

I've noticed that about a lot of Chinese players when they first arrive on the scene. Youngsters from that part of the world try to play all out attack the majority of times. Even Ding played that way when he first arrived.

I wonder if it's Ding the young Chinese players are trying to copy? Despite the fact that his sustained success has come from learning the safety side of his game, to go along with his natural attacking instinct.

Postby Odrl

Another frame goes to Murphy... He left the last red on for Zhao, but Zhao didn't finish on a colour. He had an easy snooker to play, but preferred to take on a tough green which didn't even give him position on the yellow. Murphy himself took a bit of a liberty a couple of shots later, so I could criticize him just as easily, but it's clear that he thinks he can afford it now...

Postby SnookerFan

That reminds me of my old friend Lu Ning, when he beat Shaun Murphy 5-2 at the China Open.

He seemed to have a pretty solid all round game. His safety and shot selection seemed to impress me as much as his potting. (Which was also good.) As said, a lot of the youngsters seemed to try to copy the faster players and not worry about other aspects of the game.

I was impressed with the way that Lu seemed better than Murphy is almost all aspects of the game that day. He seemed to get his shot selection spot on. And even when he made a mistake, he didn't panic. He kept calm, in case he got another chance at the table. On the occasion that he did get another chance, he didn't make a second mistake. There are seasoned pros that don't have that ability. (*ahem* Michael Holt.)

It's a shame I haven't seen much of Lu Ning since then. Murphy was sat for ages after the match with his head in his hands, whilst they were packing the balls away and cleaning the table around him. I thought he was going to do an Alex Higgins and start downing vodak.

It really was a mature performance for one as young as him.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:

Like you kept saying when Robbo was on for the Century of Centuries last season, it's not what your biggest break is, it's how many frames you win.

your right but the point is not how many centuries you make but how many frames you win in 1 chance shows how good your playing.

you can make plenty of centuries with your opponent giving you plenty of chances.

a stat that shows how many frames have been won off the back of the first long pot attempt would be worth something.

Postby Wildey

Neil Robertson 5-1 Michael Holt
Zhao Xintong 2-5 Shaun Murphy
Marco Fu 4-3 Stuart Bingham
Alan McManus 2-5 Barry Hawkins

Postby SnookerFan

Am I allowed to keep posting on here? I may not get to watch any before the final? :gag:

Shall I just guess what's happening? Oh yes, great shot that by erm.... Murphy. Yeah! What a match. :shrug:

Postby Skullman

Three matches finishing in short succession. Robbo, Smurphy and Hawkins all winning their matches. Just Fu and Bingo left, currently 4-3 to Fu.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerFan wrote:Am I allowed to keep posting on here? I may not get to watch any before the final? :gag:

Shall I just guess what's happening? Oh yes, great shot that by erm.... Murphy. Yeah! What a match. :shrug:

Oh, has he already won? <doh>

What a win by Murphy. :D

:hmmm:

Postby Odrl

SnookerFan wrote:What a win by Murphy. :D

Guess again. ;-) Pretty unimpressive really, he could have lost 5-0 against a more solid player, and he had plenty of chances to win 5-0 himself. I suspect he will play a different game against Robertson, but I'm not sure if he has the form to beat him.

Postby Skullman

Robbo's not in fantastic form himself. Let off by Georgiou and Holt wasn't clinical enough to punish Neil's mistakes and make the most of his chances.

Postby Wildey

its a pretty open event with Barry Hawkins looking the most likely winner form wise