Post a reply

Should Pankaj Advani and Aditya Mehta have their round 1 matches held over until Delhi?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes : 4

Should Pankaj and Aditya have matches held over?

Postby Roland

Nothing has been announced yet however it appears Pankaj and Aditya will have to play their opening round match in Doncaster this month along with all the other professionals.

However I have heard that 6 local wildcards will play at the venue. Pankaj and Aditya are the biggest names in Indian snooker, can you imagine if they both fail to qualify for the event which was created because of them not in spite of them?

It sounds absurd doesn't it? But it could actually happen.

Re: Should Pankaj and Aditya have matches held over?

Postby snooky147

If its a case of local players playing in their own country then yes, okay but if like last year they start cherry picking the top 8 along with the locals then no. He wanted a flat system so it has to be scrupulously fair.

Postby fridge46

Sonny wrote:Nothing has been announced yet however it appears Pankaj and Aditya will have to play their opening round match in Doncaster this month along with all the other professionals.

However I have heard that 6 local wildcards will play at the venue. Pankaj and Aditya are the biggest names in Indian snooker, can you imagine if they both fail to qualify for the event which was created because of them not in spite of them?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 125093.cms

These claim that there will be 70 players, specifically says 64 will come from the qualifiers, and 6 from wild cards. So I dont think the Advani and Mehta matches will held over (although I think they should be).

Just looking at the draw... their matches have been scheduled for MON-12-AUG (2.30PM for Advani, 7PM for Mehta)

Looking at the finals format, 5 days, 4 tables, 69 matches... looks like there is going to be a lot of sessions each day, but the matches will only be best-of-7 (if the qualifiers are anything to go by)

Postby Wildey

im 50/50 on this.

on one hand players shouldn't have a advantage and on the other hand its a massive risk not having the cream of Indian Snooker at the tournament in Dehli.

as it stands Pankaj and Aditya will be in Doncaster this month lets hope both qualifies but they got tough matches against Xiao Guodong and Matt Selt.

Postby Roland

Best of 7s? You're kidding!

Yes I've seen something similar about the 70 players, 6 wildcards and 64 round 1 winners.

For the life of me though I can't understand them playing at Doncaster, especially as there are 6 wildcards. Ding had to play round 1 in the UK for Wuxi which was similarly stupid. I don't think any player would begrudge the world champion, the event defending champion and a couple of the best hand picked locals to play their opening matches at the venue. It really is a no brainer.

Postby fridge46

Sonny wrote:Best of 7s? You're kidding!

Nope... look at the order of play on the first page of the draw...

Hopefully they will be best-of-9's for the finals... but I somehow doubt it (maybe for the QF, like with the Welsh Open last year)

Postby Roland

A 5 day event sounds like it'll be like the Welsh then with best of 7s increasing once you reach a certain stage. Disappointing but better than nothing.

Of course there is an AT event straight after so that'll probably be in India as well as it starts the day after the Indian Open ends. You'd think they would do it the other way around to stop players hanging about once they go out of the main event but hey ho.

Postby Roland

The main point here is that everyone knows the tournament would not be taking place without these two players in the same way Wuxi wouldn't exist without Ding and Bendigo without Robbo.

Currently in the 128 format they are looking at playing a tournament of 64 players at the venue and holding round 1 elsewhere in most cases. Ideally they want all 128 at the venue but obviously there are logistic issues with this still to be ironed out, although PTCs show how venues need to be to accommodate everyone.

There is provision for holding matches back as the wildcard rounds show. Yes some may see it as an unfair advantage, and if you're talking about hand picking the box office players then obviously that's unfair. But sending the defending champion and world champion and obvious top locals to the venue from the start is only giving them one match extra. It's not necessarily an advantage either, they have to play one more match than everybody else in order to win the title but the public who pay to watch it and the tv channels who cover it deserve to have these players present.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:Nothing has been announced yet however it appears Pankaj and Aditya will have to play their opening round match in Doncaster this month along with all the other professionals.

they most definitely should be held over to play in THEIR event at THE VENUE......happens in a whole host of other events (so the precedent has been set). <ok>

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:

they most definitely should be held over to play in THEIR event at THE VENUE......happens in a whole host of other events (so the precedent has been set). <ok>

it used to happen not any more in overseas events it seems they have stopped it with china tournaments for quite a while.

but a precedent is there at this years UK where top 4 seeds matches will be held over to the TV Stages where as other matches will be played the previous week.

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:if the horrible Welsh Open can do it then shirly they should old over the Indian playas till DELHI :clap:

we dont know how the welsh open will do it its never been played under this particular formula before please try and show you actually know something about the snooker tour this season <ok>

Postby Smart

Wildey wrote:
Smart wrote:if the horrible Welsh Open can do it then shirly they should old over the Indian playas till DELHI :clap:

we dont know how the welsh open will do it its never been played under this particular formula before please try and show you actually know something about the snooker tour this season <ok>

Welsh players have had THEIR matches held over to the venue before - get your facts straight <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

I like the Welsh Open. :D

Though, it's gone down in my estimation since first rounds became best of seven. I go to the latter stages now.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:Before the 128 draws were brought in certain provisions should have been made. Like for example top local players should be exempt from having to play in what is essentially the qualifying round.

May not be fair but that's how it should be.

talks had taken place the majority of the players was against it as was the WPBSA who was representing the players.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Jewell wrote:Before the 128 draws were brought in certain provisions should have been made. Like for example top local players should be exempt from having to play in what is essentially the qualifying round.

May not be fair but that's how it should be.

talks had taken place the majority of the players was against it as was the WPBSA who was representing the players.

Most of the pro's are your typical British journeyman dross. I can see why they would be so against it.

"If I can't get any benefit from something then nobody else should be able to either."

FFS it's this kind of tinpot mentality that will ensure snooker remains a Mickey Mouse sport.

yup and you support one of the biggest culprits <ok>

Postby Wildey

he leads by example and then every other player does whats right for them if he is out for no 1 why shouldn't others do the same and then the sport will suffer because of players selfishness.