Will Ronnie turn up?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes : 14

Re: Will Ronnie go?

Postby Wildey

Ronnies Legacy in the game is being selfish and out for himself.

his idea of promoting is slagging off the game telling the world he thinks most of the players are boring please explain how the buck does that promote snooker to sponsors.

"well if ronnie thinks most are boring why should we invest in it"

yes he has nothing left to prove anyone but ffs lets leave the sport better off for future generations and Ronnie does buck all on that front.

Postby Andy Spark

Wild wrote:Ronnie is World Champion in name only he is not a True World Champion unless he travels the World as the Champion of the World.

Can this principle extend to other matters; can we, for instance, say that Alan Whicker was the "True" World Moustache Champion in spite of others possessing a larger moustache because Alan was always willing to take his moustache around the world?

Postby Wildey

yes

Postby Snooker Overdrive

@Wild:

This is debate is getting ridiculous. Only 2 of 12 ranking events have been played so far. You are talking about Ronnie like he's taking another year completely off. Just wait and see how many ranking events he'll enter this year.

I know he'll not go to India, Qatar or most of the Chinese events but I assume he'll play in most of the European tournaments. And if he goes through with that that's all you can ask of a World Champion in his late 30s who hates traveling and has a family at home.

Postby Muppet147

Wild, you are full of crap as usual. <ok>

Ronnie is the greatest player of all time and you should bow before him.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:@Wild:

This is debate is getting ridiculous. Only 2 of 12 ranking events have been played so far. You are talking about Ronnie like he's taking another year completely off. Just wait and see how many ranking events he'll enter this year.

I know he'll not go to India, Qatar or most of the Chinese events but I assume he'll play in most of the European tournaments. And if he goes through with that that's all you can ask of a World Champion in his late 30s who hates traveling and has a family at home.

sod european events buck me is he World or European Champion its time he starts acting like a World Champion or just retire sick to buck of the little hammer.

Postby TheRocket

Wildey wrote:Ronnies Legacy in the game is being selfish and out for himself.

his idea of promoting is slagging off the game telling the world he thinks most of the players are boring please explain how the buck does that promote snooker to sponsors.

"well if ronnie thinks most are boring why should we invest in it"

yes he has nothing left to prove anyone but ffs lets leave the sport better off for future generations and Ronnie does buck all on that front.

Do you say the same for Higgins and Williams too? And why should he leave the sport if hes still the best player in the World and is still winning World titles? He would make the most stupid thing if he would leave now. I think, he should retire when he is playing like Hendry(after his peak) ,White or Davis.

And look. I know, that Ronnie is surely not everybodies man but there is no need to tourist him off everytime at any given opportunity. He could play 10 maximums in a best of 19 match and here in this forum some users would still lovely lady about him, that he is rubbish and that he is like that and whatsoever.

My personal opinion is. Every sport needs such a character. And People don't want to see only Ding Junhuis in the game. They want to see a charismatic character. And instead of attacking Ronnie everytime people should ask themselves why there is still nobody on the tour who manages it to fill this gap if Ronnie isn't there and why Ronnie O'Sullivan is still toptheme number 1 even during his one year break.

And this surely isn't Ronnies fault. It seems that he somehow manages it to give the crowd something which the others can't. Maybe it's his entertaining game, his breakbuilding, his aura. I don't know but there is something. And the crap standard to be honest must also be a reason that the people missed him.

And concerning the boring thing. I think, Mark Selby was the only player, Ronnie called explicitly boring.
Actually Judd Trump is far more "arrogant" (if you want to call it arrogant)in that case, slagging off every opponent before the match and that he somehow is the most special player who is better than everybody else at his best and others beeing boring.
Or if you consider Mark Allens Statement over Chinese players after his first round WC-Loss.

But I have never seen anyone here who bitched around them, so it seems for me that there is definitely some envy existing concerning Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Postby Wildey

Higgins and Williams are not World Champion if they were they would get the same treatment.

World Champions has responsibilities.

Postby TheRocket

Wildey wrote:Higgins and Williams are not World Champion if they were they would get the same treatment.

World Champions has responsibilities.

Yes,of course they have. But I don't think that the absence of the World Champion will have such a big impact on the next season. And actually, if you really think about it, beeing one year absent and then defending the World Title is the biggest thing you could do as a World Champion. So he is probably the most special World Champion. But everyone has an other opinion about it of course.

And of course, it would be nice if he would play more (luckily he will this season) but nevertheless I think, that you make a mountain out of a dust speck.

The only thing I hate about him are his retire threats. By that he damages everyone, including himself.

Postby Wildey

When Ronnie decided to defend his World Title i lost respect for the guy instead of sticking to his principles and sit out the season as he said he would he came back with a cockerel and bull school fee story cobblers.

then he won it and said he was not going to do any traveling and i though to myself just retire you horse rubbish turd.

Postby Andre147

Yes I do agree with "TheRocket" when he says that Ronnie duly deserves the upmost respect for being World Champion after that year off, that's one of snooker's biggest achievments, and I don't think anyone could manage to pull that off despite what some people say. Of course I agree with Wild that I would obviously like him to play in more events, but we can't criticise him at all, he has more than earned his reputation in the game so deserves to play it in his own terms, and that's what he has been doing lately.

And like SO says he'll surely play in a lot more events this season compared to last, like those German events he has a contract with and the Major tournaments, like UK, Masters and Wolrds of course, so it's not like he'll only play the World Champs this season. And yeah, the only thing I really really hate about Ronnie are his constant retirement threats, nothing new of course, but everytime he does it I just wish he either quit the game for good and stick to his word or not say anything at all and let his snooker do the talking. Then again, like some here were saying, it certainly wouldn't be the same Ronnie without these little things considered.

Postby Wildey

it has sod all to do with reputation its about being Champion of the World if he wants to be a has been thats fine but while hes World Champion he should Act like one.

People of Australia, China, India, Timbuktoo wants to see a World Champ up close and personal get a picture taken get a Autograph etc etc

Postby Andy Spark

Wildey wrote:
People of Australia, China, India, Timbuktoo wants to see a World Champ up close and personal get a picture taken get a Autograph etc etc

People of Australia, China, India, Timbuktoo also want to see a "Major" structure around snooker that represents the world not just the UK; this would make the current and regrettable Ronnie situation far less likely. This mission, however, is not really Ronnie's problem, because Ronnie's brittle mental health would be jeopardised if he were to become the global snooker ambassador. Ronnie did what he had to do. He could indeed become the global ambassador, ruin his mental health and then certainly lose the world title...but given Ronnie's prodigious capabilities what's the fun in that option.

Besides, Ronnie's sublime snooker, even viewed through a computer screen, gives the snooker world that majestic sense of watching something very special. That soaring sense of "specialness" IS promoting snooker globally and has done for a while.

Postby Wildey

He should retire then because a World Champion that's not doing his bit as a ambassador is pointless and im sick to buck of this bullocks brittle mental health because that's not snookers problem either and so the only decent thing he has left to do for snooker is buck off in to retirement and spare the sport of a tin pot World Champion.

Ronnie winning the World Title this year is right up there with Rodney Walker being chairman its done Zero for Snooker yes that wasn't Ronnie's fault because he did what he had to do but its not helped Snooker in the slightness.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Ronnie is special and so are his fans. Even they seem happy he cba turning up to events. Someone explain this phenomenon??

Postby Wildey

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:Ronnie is special and so are his fans. Even they seem happy he cba turning up to events. Someone explain this phenomenon??

Ronnie has fans that doesn't want to see him play lol

Postby SnookerFan

I've just had a thought, reading all this. Remember that time Ronnie said the World Championships were boring? Last season it was the only tournament he played in. <laugh>

Postby Alpha

To be fair O'Sullivan did say at the Crucible that he was unlikely to play outside Europe this season. However I think he may play in the China International this season (he would have played in the Wuxi qualifiers if not for a bereavement). With the £125000 first prize, he could afford to pay some more school fees.

Postby Smart

Wildey wrote:
Jewell wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Sonny wrote:The more events he misses, the more I hope he goes out in round 1 when he does decide to play.

yea the most hollow poor excuse for a World Champion snooker has ever had.

Absolute nonsense!

The World Championship is a 17 day event that happens in April/May.

What happens throughout the remainder of the season has no bearing on the WC.

Absolute bullocks of course it has a bearing Christ sake a World Champion should be a ambassador for the sport and promote the sport by turning up to events and not bucking about playing rubbish exhos with Jimmy in Legends.

He does buck all for snooker sitting on his bottom twiddling himself.

hendo was an ambassador....................for Clearasil :clap:

Postby Roland

I am personally annoyed that Ronnie isn't playing in this event because snooker is attempting to break into new territory, Aditya Mehta and Pankaj Advani have been brilliant for the sport over the last 12 months and because of them they have the chance of an event in their homeland. Ronnie is the biggest draw in the game, although arguably he would be behind Pankaj in India but anyway, he is the World Champion and he is the only player in the top 64 to skip this event.

Everyone knows his achievements on the snooker table and what a joy he is to watch, but he has a tendency to ruin things off the table with his actions, for the fans and those who love the sport and want to see it grow. If he cared about his legacy, his lifes work, then he would want to play his part in helping to safeguard the future because the bigger snooker gets worldwide, the bigger his status in the games history will be.

I'm sick of hearing the apologists say he doesn't like travelling. It's not about travelling, it's about money and ego. It's a real shame the World Champion has chosen not to play in this historic event and I'm sure I'm not the only one left disappointed.

Postby SnookerFan

Again, this isn't news. He's been making excuses to get out of the Chinese tournaments since they started playing there.

I know he took all of last season off. But that doesn't mean his reluctance to travel is some new issue. I'm surprised he can't be fussed to go to Newport sometimes.

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:I am personally annoyed that Ronnie isn't playing in this event because snooker is attempting to break into new territory, Aditya Mehta and Pankaj Advani have been brilliant for the sport over the last 12 months and because of them they have the chance of an event in their homeland. Ronnie is the biggest draw in the game, although arguably he would be behind Pankaj in India but anyway, he is the World Champion and he is the only player in the top 64 to skip this event.

Everyone knows his achievements on the snooker table and what a joy he is to watch, but he has a tendency to ruin things off the table with his actions, for the fans and those who love the sport and want to see it grow. If he cared about his legacy, his lifes work, then he would want to play his part in helping to safeguard the future because the bigger snooker gets worldwide, the bigger his status in the games history will be.

I'm sick of hearing the apologists say he doesn't like travelling. It's not about travelling, it's about money and ego. It's a real shame the World Champion has chosen not to play in this historic event and I'm sure I'm not the only one left disappointed.

Yes couldn't agree more, and though this is nothing new of course, a bit of a shame really, but for me it isn't a surprise of course as I would give about 1 in a 1000 chance him playing in this event. And to some who say his fans are happy that he turns up to events, well why wouldn't we? His appearances are less and less common, so every time we get the chance to watch him play is a bonus and if he wins matches and tournaments all the more better, cause you know he himself hasn't got very long at the top of his game, I would give him 2 or 3 more years until he reaches 40. But anyway, unless he plays in the Internacional Champs in China as it's a big money tournament, I really can't see him being bothered about going outside Europe, but even so he'll most likely play in the German events and the Majors, a good sign at least. A shame of course sometimes it's all about money with him despite what he says, but then again it's nothing new and I do hope that when he decides to play he produces some of the magic he has presented us down the years.