Group 1 6th and 7th of January
Group 2 8th and 9th of January
Group 3 20th and 21st of January
Group 4 22nd and 23rd of January
Group 5 10th and 11th of February
Group 6 12th and 13th of February
Group 7 3rd and 4th of March
Winners Group 5th and 6th of March

The Championship league is back for its 7th year Previously won by Joe Perry, Judd Trump, Marco Fu, Matthew Stevens, Ding Junhui and last year by Martin Gould.

The concept is a group of seven, with top four going on to a knockout stage and the winner going straight through to an end of season Winners Group and the other three players going in to Group two along with 5th placed man and the bottom two in the group eliminated.

Who will win it this year?

Group 1 Players

Judd Trump
Stuart Bingham
Shaun Murphy
Ricky Walden
Robert Milkins
Mark Davis
Ali Carter

DRAW

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday 6th of January

12pm
Judd Trump v Shaun Murphy
Stuart Bingham v Ricky Walden

Followed by
Mark Davis v Robert Milkins
Ali Carter v Judd Trump

Not before 3pm
Shaun Murphy v Stuart Bingham
Ricky Walden v Mark Davis

Followed by
Robert Milkins v Ali Carter
Judd Trump v Stuart Bingham

Not before 7pm
Shaun Murphy v Ricky Walden
Mark Davis v Ali Carter

Followed by
Stuart Bingham v Ali Carter
Robert Milkins v Ricky Walden

Tuesday 7th of January

11pm
Judd Trump v Robert Milkins
Shaun Murphy v Mark Davis

Followed by
Ricky Walden v Ali Carter
Stuart Bingham v Robert Milkins

Not before 2pm
Shaun Murphy v Ali Carter
Judd Trump v Mark Davis

Followed by
Stuart Bingham v Mark Davis
Shaun Murphy v Robert Milkins

Followed by
Judd Trump v Ricky Walden

Not before 6pm
Semi Finals
1st v 4th
2nd v 3rd

Followed by
The Final

Re: Championship League Discussion !!

Postby PLtheRef

See this has become a tournament in its own right now with the demise of the Premier League. However it isn't the easiest tournament to get in to. Still a nice pay day opportunity for those entered.

Postby SnookerFan

PLtheRef wrote:See this has become a tournament in its own right now with the demise of the Premier League. However it isn't the easiest tournament to get in to. Still a nice pay day opportunity for those entered.

It's all a bit pointless now though, isn't it?

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:See this has become a tournament in its own right now with the demise of the Premier League. However it isn't the easiest tournament to get in to. Still a nice pay day opportunity for those entered.

It's all a bit pointless now though, isn't it?

Winner gets in to the Champion of Champions.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Winner gets in to the Champion of Champions.

Yeah, of course it does. Me = <doh> Too many tournaments these days, my booze addled forgets these things. <laugh>

Still a crap tournament that should be replaced with something better though. <laugh>

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:

Yeah, of course it does. Me = <doh> Too many tournaments these days, my booze addled forgets these things. <laugh>

Still a crap tournament that should be replaced with something better though. <laugh>

I agree, but the players competing in it won't mind that in the slightest, I think most of them see it as paid practice, and nothing better to sharpen up your game for the ranking events and Masters than to compete against some of the best. I know if I were a player able to enter it I wouldn't think twice, paid practice as I said.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 PGC wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I agree, but the players competing in it won't mind that in the slightest, I think most of them see it as paid practice, and nothing better to sharpen up your game for the ranking events and Masters than to compete against some of the best. I know if I were a player able to enter it I wouldn't think twice, paid practice as I said.

my problem with it is

its made for corruption and players not trying their hardest and yet Betting firms still backing it.

and in the wake of the Stephen Lee debacle i find staggering.

Postby Wildey

Judd Trump 3 - 1 Shaun Murphy
Stuart Bingham 2 - 3 Ricky Walden
Mark Davis 3 - 1
Robert Milkins
Allister Carter 3 - 0 Judd Trump

after 4 Matches played Carter, Davis and Walden is un defeated

Shaun Murphy 0-2 Stuart Bingham
Ricky Walden 1-1 Mark Davis

Postby Wildey

Ricky Walden beats Mark Davis 3-1 and Shaun Murphy came back from 2-0 down to beat Stuart Bingham 3-2

Postby Wildey

Robert Milkins 0 - 3 Allister Carter
Judd Trump 3 - 1
Stuart Bingham

Ali Carter leading the Group 6 frames played 6 frames won.

Postby Wildey

Shaun Murphy 3 - 2 Ricky Walden
Mark Davis 3 - 1 Allister Carter

After 2 3-0 wins Ali Carter lost 3-1 to Mark Davis

Stuart Bingham 2 - 1 Allister Carter
Robert Milkins 0 - 0 Ricky Walden

Postby Wildey

Stuart Bingham 2 - 3 Allister Carter
Robert Milkins 0 - 3 Ricky Walden

So Ricky Walden and Ali Carter with 3 wins out of 4 leads the Group over night

Postby Wildey

Tuesday 7th of January

11pm
Judd Trump v Robert Milkins
Shaun Murphy v Mark Davis

Followed by
Ricky Walden v Ali Carter
Stuart Bingham v Robert Milkins

Not before 2pm
Shaun Murphy v Ali Carter
Judd Trump v Mark Davis

Followed by
Stuart Bingham v Mark Davis
Shaun Murphy v Robert Milkins

Followed by
Judd Trump v Ricky Walden

Not before 6pm
Semi Finals
1st v 4th
2nd v 3rd

Followed by
The Final

Postby PLtheRef

Wildey wrote:my problem with it is

its made for corruption and players not trying their hardest and yet Betting firms still backing it.

and in the wake of the Stephen Lee debacle i find staggering.

No tournament is made for corruption Wild. In an ideal world, we shouldn't have the concerns you raise (as genuine as they are) because its always hoped that this is a clean sport, and for those who aren't participating in a clean manner, there is severe reprimands.

The Championship League has something riding on every frame, which is better than the Premier League which played matches over all six frames. Plus there is always something riding at both ends of the table on Day Two. Players out of the running on day two have relegation to try and avoid. Plus there's no practice substitute for competitive play

Postby Wildey

But if players go in to a tournament with the aim of match practice and by loosing in Group Final means more Match practice then it is corrupt and wrong as a sporting contest backed by bookmakers.

Postby Wildey

Judd Trump 3 - 0 Robert Milkins
Shaun Murphy 0 - 3 Mark Davis
Stuart Bingham 3 - 1
Robert Milkins

Robert Milkins with 2 frame won from 5 matches played is out of the Tournament

Ricky Walden 2 - 2 Allister Carter

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:But if players go in to a tournament with the aim of match practice and by loosing in Group Final means more Match practice then it is corrupt and wrong as a sporting contest backed by bookmakers.

These days when the calendar is so full and there's snooker almost every week, I can't see that a professional player would lose deliberately, just for the sake of match practice. But, as you point out, it is a tournament where losing isn't such a massive deal, and can almost be beneficial in some ways.

It doesn't bother me, to be honest. As long as people aren't being paid to lose.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:But if players go in to a tournament with the aim of match practice and by loosing in Group Final means more Match practice then it is corrupt and wrong as a sporting contest backed by bookmakers.

These days when the calendar is so full and there's snooker almost every week, I can't see that a professional player would lose deliberately, just for the sake of match practice. But, as you point out, it is a tournament where losing isn't such a massive deal, and can almost be beneficial in some ways.

It doesn't bother me, to be honest. As long as people aren't being paid to lose.

i couldn't see why a Professional player would deliberately lose a match at the Crucible but the Findings of the Tribunal has uncovered that it has happened.

Postby Skullman

Looks like the top 4 are fixed now: Carter, Mavis, Judd and Walden, with Carter looking likely to top the group. Plus Milkins is definitely relegated. The only thing which remains to be decided is whether Smurph or Bingo are relegated.

I think if Bingo wins his last match and Smurph loses his, it'll be Shaun. If not, it'll be Bingo.

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:Looks like the top 4 are fixed now: Carter, Mavis, Judd and Walden, with Carter looking likely to top the group. Plus Milkins is definitely relegated. The only thing which remains to be decided is whether Smurph or Bingo are relegated.

I think if Bingo wins his last match and Smurph loses his, it'll be Shaun. If not, it'll be Bingo.

This competition really is fixed. :shock:

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:

Yeah. I mean didn't Mags last season actually earn more or close to it than the eventual winner Martin Gould? I think he entered in Group 2 and only knocked out of the tourney in the last group final where he had no chance of being in the winner's group. As you say, if you manage to do such a feat, <laugh> than you're bound to gain a pretty good amount of money, not saying he lost deliberately of course, as I think he lost in about 3 or 4 group finals.

Postby Wildey

So Championship league 1 is done and dusted and Ricky Walden safely through to the Winners Group in March

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image

Group 2 8th and 9th of January
Group 3 20th and 21st of January
Group 4 22nd and 23rd of January
Group 5 10th and 11th of February
Group 6 12th and 13th of February
Group 7 3rd and 4th of March
Winners Group 5th and 6th of March

Group 2 Players

Judd Trump
Ali Carter
Mark Davis
Shaun Murphy
Neil Robertson
Barry Hawkins
Joe Perry

DRAW

Postby Wildey

Wednesday 8th of January

11am
Judd Trump 3 - 0 Allister Carter
Mark Davis 2 - 1 Shaun Murphy

Followed by
Neil Robertson v Barry Hawkins
Joe Perry v Judd Trump

Not before 2pm
Allister Carter v Mark Davis
Shaun Murphy v Neil Robertson

Followed by
Barry Hawkins v Joe Perry
Judd Trump v Mark Davis

Not before 6pm
Allister Carter v Shaun Murphy
Neil Robertson v Joe Perry

Followed by
Mark Davis v Joe Perry
Barry Hawkins v Shaun Murphy

Thursday 9th of January

11pm
Judd Trump v Barry Hawkins
Allister Carter v Neil Robertson

Followed by
Shaun Murphy v Joe Perry
Mark Davis v Barry Hawkins

Not before 2pm
Allister Carter v Joe Perry
Judd Trump v Neil Robertson

Followed by
Mark Davis v Neil Robertson
Allister Carter v Barry Hawkins

Followed by
Judd Trump v Shaun Murphy

Not before 6pm
Semi Finals
1st v 4th
2nd v 3rd

Followed by
The Final

Postby randam05

No one going to mention 147 Murphy! Which shortly followed Davis 134 which im unsure if was a 147 attempt. Great stuff!

Postby Andre147

randam05 WC wrote:No one going to mention 147 Murphy! Which shortly followed Davis 134 which im unsure if was a 147 attempt. Great stuff!

Yeah just seen Murphy made a max :hatoff: Very well done, think it's on Youtube already, will have a watch.

Don't quite know if Davis 134 was a 147 attempt, will have to check it, but if it was indeed well he'll be gutted for missing that final pink so close to the maximum.