Post a reply

Re: Gdynia Open (European Tour 8) Discussion !!

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:Shaun Murphy played excellent today. I didn'see that coming.

Saw his match against Bingo, started with 2 back to back tons, 138 and 136 total clearances without Bingo potting a ball, then Bingo made it 2-1 but Murphy again hit back with an 80 odd break, could have been a 3rd ton, and won the match in the next frame, 4-1. That has been by far the best he's played all season. :hatoff:

He definately knew he needed a good result in this PTC having been 24th in the Order of Merit.

Postby Skullman

edwards2000 wrote:Yes, he was. It's just that you fail to acknowledge that O'Sullivan outplays anyone. Getting to a World semi final is a great achievement and Stevens was playing great. That's a fact and it's there for anyone to watch. You need to start learning that 2 players play a game, not just the opponent of the one you hate.

I never claimed Ronnie didn't deserve to win, Edward/Daniel (which do you prefer BTW?)

Ronnie wasn't at his best either tbh, and to claim otherwise is a disservice to his ability. I don't what would happen if Stevens were at the top of his game that weekend, but I think even of he played better, Ronnie would play better as well. I remember when Stevens looked like getting close at 5-5 and 12-9, Ronnie just upped it, pulled away and when he had a comfy lead, relaxed a bit. Stevens was outplayed but that doesn't mean he played well.

Stevens was a bit fortunate with his draw to semi in that he had a poor Marco Fu, a Hawkins pre-Aussie Open victory who had less nerve in the final stages of their match and a Day who ended with an awful migraine and didn't win a frame from 5-2 up (that said, he took advantage of an easier draw on paper, which no one out of Ding, Allen and Selby managed to do).

Postby Skullman

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Shaun Murphy played excellent today. I didn'see that coming.

Saw his match against Bingo, started with 2 back to back tons, 138 and 136 total clearances without Bingo potting a ball, then Bingo made it 2-1 but Murphy again hit back with an 80 odd break, could have been a 3rd ton, and won the match in the next frame, 4-1. That has been by far the best he's played all season. :hatoff:

He definately knew he needed a good result in this PTC having been 24th in the Order of Merit.

Even more shocking, he got a cannon right!

Postby Skullman

Draw as it stands:

Last 16

Matthew Selt v Robert Milkins
Judd Trump v Mark King
Jamie Jones v Murphy
Stephen Maguire v John Higgins
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Bottom half to be reduced tomorrow

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

Even more shocking, he got a cannon right!

I know you often say he misdjuges cannons often in his breaks, but when in his on top form like today against Bingo in those 2 superb total clearances he never looks like missing and his wonderful to watch how he goes about in his break.

Hope he has a good result here as the PTCs haven't been a place of many happy memories for him.

Postby Skullman

Saturday 8th of February

8.30am

Ricky Walden v Christopher Keogan
Marcus Campbell v Andrew Higginson
Joel Walker v Gareth Allen
Andrew Norman v Dave Harold
Joe Swail v Ross Muir
Michael White v Craig Steadman
Alfie Burden v Noppon Saengkham
Jimmy Robertson v Andrew Pagett
Marco Fu v Robert Valiant
Nigel Bond v Hammad Miah
Sam Baird v Vinnie Calabrese

Approx 10am

Luca Brecel v Jamie Rhys Clarke
Barry Pinches v Nathan Jones
Pankaj Advani v Alex Borg
Ian Burns v Yu De Lu
Scott Donaldson v James Cahill

Approx 10.30am

David Gilbert v Cao Yupeng
David Grace v Matthew Day
Dominic Dale v Dechawat Poomjaeng
Mark Williams v Liang Wenbo

Approx 11.30am

Kurt Maflin v Lee Page
Rod Lawler v Marcin Kolibski.
Ben Woollaston v Rory McLeod
David Morris v Jamie Cope

Approx 12pm

Graeme Dott v Peter Ebdon
Stuart Carrington v Patrick Einsle
Neil Robertson v Adam Stefanow
Alan McManus v Sean O'Sullivan

Approx 1pm

Mark Joyce v Ken Doherty
Gerard Greene v Zhang Anda
Fergal O'Brien v Alex Davies
Tony Drago v Liam Highfield

Approx 2.30pm

Ricky Walden/Christopher Keogan v Marcus Campbell/Andrew Higginson
Joel Walker/Gareth Allen v Andrew Norman/Dave Harold
Joe Swail/Ross Muir v Michael White/Craig Steadman
Alfie Burden/Noppon Saengkham v Jimmy Robertson/Andrew Pagett
Marco Fu/Robert Valiant v Nigel Bond/Hammad Miah
Sam Baird/Vinnie Calabrese v Luca Brecel/Jamie Rhys Clarke
Barry Pinches/Nathan Jones v Pankaj Advani/Alex Borg
Ian Burns/Yu De Lu v Scott Donaldson/James Cahill

Approx 4pm

David Gilbert/Cao Yupeng v David Grace/Matthew Day
Mark Joyce/Ken Doherty v Gerard Greene/Zhang Anda
Kurt Maflin/Lee Page v Rod Lawler/Marcin Kolibski/
Ben Woollaston/Rory McLeod v David Morris/Jamie Cope
Graeme Dott/Peter Ebdon v Stuart Carrington/Patrick Einsle
Neil Robertson/Adam Stefanow v Alan McManus/Sean O'Sullivan
Fergal O'Brien/Alex Davies v Tony Drago/Liam Highfield
Dominic Dale/Dechawat Poomjaeng v Mark Williams/Liang Wenbo

Approx 6.30pm

8 x Last 32 Matches

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Draw as it stands:

Last 16

Matthew Selt v Robert Milkins
Judd Trump v Mark King
Jamie Jones v Murphy
Stephen Maguire v John Higgins
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Bottom half to be reduced tomorrow

Mags and Higgins most likely the TV match on Sunday.

Postby Skullman

Andre147 PGC wrote:I know you often say he misdjuges cannons often in his breaks, but when in his on top form like today against Bingo in those 2 superb total clearances he never looks like missing and his wonderful to watch how he goes about in his break.

Hope he has a good result here as the PTCs haven't been a place of many happy memories for him.

He needs some sort of win, even a PTC to go back and compete with the top players. I don't think he's as good as Selby or Robbo, but it would be good if he played well again.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that it's mad that Murphy hasn't been in PTC Grand Finals since he won the first event? Defending champions seem to have a real bad time there. Murphy's not qualified since 2011, Lee won't be coming back there ever, Ding'll be the first title holder of the event who actually makes to the tournament to defend it.

Postby Skullman

Andre147 PGC wrote:Mags and Higgins most likely the TV match on Sunday.

We don't what match ups will occur from the other half of the draw, although I think the only think that could supersede this is a possible Robbo v MJW clash.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:Mags and Higgins most likely the TV match on Sunday.

We don't what match ups will occur from the other half of the draw, although I think the only think that could supersede this is a possible Robbo v MJW clash.

Yeah that's why I said it, because let's be fair I can't see a TV match on Sunday morning other than one of those 2.

Postby hendry_fan

Wildey wrote:im going on Holiday today so wont be on here to keep this thread bubbling along.

2 BIG shocks in our snooker world so far in this tourney!. :dizzy:

1)Wildeys goin on holiday!.

I wonder where the dumplings going,maybe some Butlins camping site in England,or maybe he,s gone to somewhere in Bonnie Scotland,bout time he got out of boring,dull,cold Wales and got some decent food n drink in em. ;-) :-D

2)Mark Selby 3-4 *Anthony Hamilton*

SELBS LOSES A DECIDER!!!!!,nah,surely it,s a typed mistake!. :-D

Postby Skullman

Looks like they're showing v Polish amateur after the MJW match, in the same session as Dott v Ebdon :roll:

Could say something about but I think I'll leave it to Snooky.

Postby snooky147

Skullman wrote:Looks like they're showing v Polish amateur after the MJW match, in the same session as Dott v Ebdon :roll:

Could say something about but I think I'll leave it to Snooky.

Nothing that those clowns do is a surprise to me anymore.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Mark Williams looked very disappointed losing that match. Shook hands and ran out of the arena as fast he could. Hit his knuckles on the table a few times during the match as well.

Postby Skullman

Didn't see it, did he miss many chances to win?

Also, every win helps MJW as he needs all the points he can get to avoid having to qualify for the Crucible.

Postby Skullman

Saturday 8th of February

8.30am

Ricky Walden scr w/o Christopher Keogan
Marcus Campbell 4-1 Andrew Higginson
Joel Walker 1-4 Gareth Allen
Andrew Norman 4-3 Dave Harold
Joe Swail 4-0 Ross Muir
Michael White 3-4 Craig Steadman
Alfie Burden 4-3 Noppon Saengkham
Jimmy Robertson 4-3 Andrew Pagett
Marco Fu 4-0 Robert Valiant
Nigel Bond 4-1 Hammad Miah
Sam Baird 4-2 Vinnie Calabrese

Approx 10am

Luca Brecel 1-4 Jamie Rhys Clarke
Barry Pinches 2-1 Nathan Jones
Pankaj Advani 1-3 Alex Borg
Ian Burns 4-0 Yu De Lu
Scott Donaldson 1-2 James Cahill

Approx 10.30am

David Gilbert 3-1 Cao Yupeng
David Grace 3-0 Matthew Day
Dominic Dale 2-1 Dechawat Poomjaeng
Mark Williams 3-4 Liang Wenbo

Approx 11.30am

Kurt Maflin 2-1 Lee Page
Rod Lawler 1-0 Marcin Kolibski.
Ben Woollaston 2-1 Rory McLeod
David Morris scr w/o Jamie Cope

Postby Holden Chinaski

Skullman wrote:Didn't see it, did he miss many chances to win?

Also, every win helps MJW as he needs all the points he can get to avoid having to qualify for the Crucible.

Liang was 64-15 up in the last frame and missed a pretty easy red to middle pocket. Williams could have played a good safety then but instead went for a double to the middle pocket and missed. Liang then knocked a long one in and Williams jumped out of his chair, shook hands and left.

Postby roy142857

I see David Grace did the business to overleap Martin O'Donnell (and Steve Davis) on the Order of Merit.

Barry Pinches really struggling to get to grips with Nathan Jones, given that he really needs 3 wins today to stay on Tour that's not too good a start (3-2 down but edging sixth frame at the moment, Jones needs snookers).

Tony Drago / Liam Highfield match has quite a bit at stake, as mentioned before Drago needs one win to get past O'Donnell and Davis, Highfield needs a really deep run here - 4th round would give him a slight chance, but needs quarter finals really.

Craig Steadman also needs quarter finals, possibly even a run to the semi finals to secure his Tour place. Unlikely, but you never know, at least got the first win unlike most of the 'unlikely' players yesterday. Has Joe Swail next.

Postby Skullman

Approx 10am

Luca Brecel 1-4 Jamie Rhys Clarke
Barry Pinches 3-3 Nathan Jones
Pankaj Advani 2-4 Alex Borg
Ian Burns 4-0 Yu De Lu
Scott Donaldson 4-3 James Cahill

Approx 10:30am

David Gilbert 4-1 Cao Yupeng
David Grace 4-0 Matthew Day
Dominic Dale 4-1 Dechawat Poomjaeng
Mark Williams 3-4 Liang Wenbo

Approx 11:30am

Kurt Maflin 2-4 Lee Page
Rod Lawler 4-0 Marcin Kolibski.
Ben Woollaston 1-4 Rory McLeod
David Morris scr w/o Jamie Cope

Approx 12pm

Graeme Dott 2-3 Peter Ebdon
Stuart Carrington 2-2 Patrick Einsle
Neil Robertson 4-1 Adam Stefanow
Alan McManus 1-2 Sean O'Sullivan

Approx 1pm

Mark Joyce 0-0 Ken Doherty
Gerard Greene 2-1 Zhang Anda
Fergal O'Brien 2-0 Alex Davies
Tony Drago 2-0 Liam Highfield

Approx 2.30pm

Christopher Keogan v Marcus Campbell
Gareth Allen v Andrew Norman
Joe Swail v Craig Steadman
Alfie Burden v Jimmy Robertson
Marco Fu v Nigel Bond
Sam Baird v Jamie Rhys Clarke
Barry Pinches/Nathan Jones v Alex Borg
Ian Burns v Scott Donaldson

Postby Skullman

4-0 victory for Drago over Highfield means that he'll take the last spot of tour cards on EPTC list, overtaking Martin O'Donnell. Think he's mostly safe although Barry Pinches can theoretically overtake him.

Postby kolompar

Skullman wrote:4-0 victory for Drago over Highfield means that he'll take the last spot of tour cards on EPTC list, overtaking Martin O'Donnell. Think he's mostly safe although Barry Pinches can theoretically overtake him.

yesss :happy: :happy: :phew:

Postby snooky147

Skullman wrote:Graeme completes the comeback against Ebdon :hatoff: If my maths is right, he needs to get to the quarter finals to sneak into the top 24.

Your maths are spot on Skullman. That was a good win considering the way Ebdon was playing. Even that last frame Graeme was down in it. Won the match on the pink.