Post a reply

Re: Antwerp Open (European Tour 7) Discussion !!

Postby TheRocket

O'Sullivan,Selby,Robertson,Ding and maybe even Allen are the topfavourites for me.
Then we have players like Trump,Higgins and recently even Marco Fu who can peak at anytime.

And don't be surprised if we are seeing Marco Fu in the final again. The guy is always dangerous.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:O'Sullivan,Selby,Robertson,Ding and maybe even Allen are the topfavourites for me.
Then we have players like Trump,Higgins and recently even Marco Fu who can peak at anytime.

And don't be surprised if we are seeing Marco Fu in the final again. The guy is always dangerous.

I would be shocked if Higgins gets anywhere near the final this year.

Postby TheRocket

vodkadiet, Selby and Higgins will be never the favourite opponents of Ronnie, that's for sure but he still has proven more than enough times that he can beat both in very important matches. I think, in finals Ronnie is even leading 10:6 against Higgins. And I still regard a Premier League match as a real match, I mean, you are making good money in that tournament. I don't see the Premier League as anything lower than a PTC match.
Last edited by TheRocket on 17 Nov 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Postby vodkadiet

TheRocket wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:It's not a BBC major match, but I'd still be gutted if Mark lost this match, and admit it Ronnie fans, you're not happy about this, are you?

Not gutted but disappointed. At the end of the day these PTCs are only the warm-up for the bigger tournaments coming up.

It's gutting from a Selby fan perspective, because anyone of the top players can win a tournament on their day, but Mark's unique in the effect he has on Ronnie, and two losses in a row would be a sign that that's changed.

After the match today, I must say that Ronnie's victory over Selby two months ago is vital now. I said before, that a defeat in that match hadn't changed anything but after losing against in a decider against him he needed a victory against Selby to prove himself that he can beat Selby anytime. His H2H against Selby is still good (12:7) but Selby is still a very nasty opponent for him.

What Ronnie needs is a victory over Higgins now. And I'm sure it will come this season.

It is 8-7 in real matches. You cannot include Premier League shot clock nonsense, Crondon Park garbage, or Snooker Shootout marmite, as real matches. It is the same with John Higgins, you will see without Premier League matches, Higgins is well ahead, and O'Sullivan has just one win in about 10 years.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

The interesting thing about the Selby vs Ronnie debate is that other top players like Robertson and Ding are also struggling against Selby. But obviously nobody cares about that because Ronnie isn't involved. Selby is such a tough opponent because he's one of the best players out there, it's as simple as that.

Postby Skullman

Arguable whether Robbo and Ding struggle. Ding has won both their biggest matches to date, the 2011 World Quarter and 2012 Welsh Open Final. Selby tends to win smaller matches, although I think he has two Masters victories in his favour.

Robbo has won their three most recent matches, World Open quarter, China Open final and Australian Open semi.

Postby TheRocket

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:The Rocket is right about Ebdon and Higgins, however as he says, their games aren't up to it, any more.

Ebdon :hmmm: What are you talking about?

Mental strength. :-D The point was that Higgins and Ebdon are mentally as strong as Selby but don't have the game anymore to use that mental strength.

Postby vodkadiet

TheRocket wrote:vodkadiet, Selby and Higgins will be never the favourite opponents of Ronnie, that's for sure but he still has proven more than enough times that he can beat both in very important matches. I think, in finals Ronnie is even leading 10:6 against Higgins. And I still regard a Premier League match as a real match, I mean, you are making good money in that tournament. I don't see the Premier League as anything lower than a PTC match.

The Rocket, anything that veers from the rules of traditional snooker isn't a real match. I equate Premier League to an exhibition match. They have exhibition events in tennis and they aren't included in head to head records. However, I agree that O'Sullivan has no mental barriers to beating Selby or Higgins, it is just that alike most players, Selby and Higgins have no mental barriers in beating O'Sullivan.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:Arguable whether Robbo and Ding struggle. Ding has won both their biggest matches to date, the 2011 World Quarter and 2012 Welsh Open Final. Selby tends to win smaller matches, although I think he has two Masters victories in his favour.

Robbo has won their three most recent matches, World Open quarter, China Open final and Australian Open semi.

Fact is: Ding and Robbo lost important matches against Selby; same thing with Ronnie.

Postby TheRocket

vodkadiet wrote:
TheRocket wrote:vodkadiet, Selby and Higgins will be never the favourite opponents of Ronnie, that's for sure but he still has proven more than enough times that he can beat both in very important matches. I think, in finals Ronnie is even leading 10:6 against Higgins. And I still regard a Premier League match as a real match, I mean, you are making good money in that tournament. I don't see the Premier League as anything lower than a PTC match.

The Rocket, anything that veers from the rules of traditional snooker isn't a real match. I equate Premier League to an exhibition match. They have exhibition events in tennis and they aren't included in head to head records. However, I agree that O'Sullivan has no mental barriers to beating Selby or Higgins, it is just that alike most players, Selby and Higgins have no mental barriers in beating O'Sullivan.

Yep, I agree. Higgins and Selby don't have this barrier against Ronnie. Not many players can say that.

Postby TheRocket

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:Arguable whether Robbo and Ding struggle. Ding has won both their biggest matches to date, the 2011 World Quarter and 2012 Welsh Open Final. Selby tends to win smaller matches, although I think he has two Masters victories in his favour.

Fact is: Ding and Robbo lost important matches against Selby; same thing with Ronnie.

Yes ,that's true. Therefore there is no need to hype it. Selby is just a very tough guy, for any player in this World.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Hendry fan is back!

I have a feeling, my dispute with him a couple of months ago is the reason for his anti Ronnie trip . If I remember correctly he wasn't like that before, he did even congrulate Ronnie to his fifth WC Win.

Yeah, I remember you two had some sort of conflict one day and it slightly escalated and since then Hendry fan is having his rants every time Ronnie loses a match.

Yeah it started there, he may even say otherwise, but before that he even congratulated him as you said, but now he always does it.

I don't mind it anymore to be honest. Find it quite funny actually, and a bit childish too but anyway. :wave:
Last edited by Andre147 on 17 Nov 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Postby snooker loopy

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
snooker loopy wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
snooker loopy wrote:Be quite nice to see them meet in a best of 11 at the Champion of Champions, to give us a better idea of who's going to walk away with the UK.

Champions of Champions won't say anything, anyone can win the UK, there are easily 7-8 players.

I agree that there's at least ten or so players who can win the UK, but Selby and ROS are easily the favourites for it.

What about Ding and Robertson?

I just don't think Ding is in as good form as he has been in the past and Robertson would get walked over and then stomped on by Ronnie if they met in the semis..

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

Yep, I agree. Higgins and Selby don't have this barrier against Ronnie. Not many players can say that.

I would like to see a Ding vs Ronnie match again. They haven't played since that 2011 Masters match and Ding so far always struggled against him since the 2007 Masters. It would be interesting to see if Ding finally has overcome that mental barrier.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:It's not a BBC major match, but I'd still be gutted if Mark lost this match, and admit it Ronnie fans, you're not happy about this, are you?

Not gutted but disappointed. At the end of the day these PTCs are only the warm-up for the bigger tournaments coming up.

It's gutting from a Selby fan perspective, because anyone of the top players can win a tournament on their day, but Mark's unique in the effect he has on Ronnie, and two losses in a row would be a sign that that's changed.

After the match today, I must say that Ronnie's victory over Selby two months ago is vital now. I said before, that a defeat in that match hadn't changed anything but after losing against in a decider against him he needed a victory against Selby to prove himself that he can beat Selby anytime. His H2H against Selby is still good (12:7) but Selby is still a very nasty opponent for him.

What Ronnie needs is a victory over Higgins now. And I'm sure it will come this season.

Yeah agree TR, although Higgin's game at the moment is all over the place, but still I expect him to win at least another Major when we least expect it, he's done that many many times when most were writting him off.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

snooker loopy wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:What about Ding and Robertson?

I just don't think Ding is in as good form as he has been in the past and Robertson would get walked over and then stomped on by Ronnie if they met in the semis..

What makes you think Robertson can't beat Ronnie? Robbo is not known for being a walkover, whoever he plays.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

I would like to see a Ding vs Ronnie match again. They haven't played since that 2011 Masters match and Ding so far always struggled against him since the 2007 Masters. It would be interesting to see if Ding finally has overcome that mental barrier.

I think they'll meet at the CoC and then we can test that out.

The one player who will never overcome that mental barrier is Williams. Oh and Carter too. rofl

Postby GJ

Robbo and Selby is a funny match up

1 wins 3 matches , then the other wins the next 3 and so on.

Postby GJ

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
GJ wrote:Robbo and Selby is a funny match up

I have to admit I only really watched their Masters final. And that didn't look good at all from Robbo's perspective.

china final was better :hatoff:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

GJ wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

I have to admit I only really watched their Masters final. And that didn't look good at all from Robbo's perspective.

Yes it was and it sums up Robertson greatest strength, just potting balls not bothering who he plays.

Postby GJ

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
GJ wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Yes it was and it sums up Robertson greatest strength, just potting balls not bothering who he plays.

Tbh I think the masters final was a hangover from uk match where selby won from 4-0 down

Since then robbo played great v mark.

Postby TheRocket

Puh, I remember that UK match, GJ. That was very painful for Robertson, all credit for him that he beat Selby so confidently in that China Open final. These defeats like in the UK can really destroy your head if youre playing against the same guy again, as Jimmy White showed against Hendry.

Postby GJ

TheRocket wrote:Puh, I remember that UK match, GJ. That was very painful for Robertson, all credit for him that he beat Selby so confidently in that China Open final. These defeats can really destroy your head, as Jimmy White showed against Hendry.

it was a painful one , a slow match and robbo went so negative :td:

:roll:

Postby TheRocket

GJ wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Puh, I remember that UK match, GJ. That was very painful for Robertson, all credit for him that he beat Selby so confidently in that China Open final. These defeats can really destroy your head, as Jimmy White showed against Hendry.

If Ronnie doesn't manage it , I wish Robertson the best for the title. Time for him to finally win the UK.

Postby GJ

TheRocket wrote:
GJ wrote:

If Ronnie doesn't manage it , I wish Robertson the best for the title. Time for him to finally win the UK.

yeah thats the missing big one for robbo <ok>

Postby snooker loopy

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
snooker loopy wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:What about Ding and Robertson?

What makes you think Robertson can't beat Ronnie? Robbo is not known for being a walkover, whoever he plays.

9-5 head to head, most of them Ronnie winning 5-1.