Post a reply

Re: Bluebell Wood Open (European Tour 3) Discussion !!

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Jewell wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Jewell wrote:The International is the only one of the four majors he hasn't won yet. So I'd like him to enter it to try and complete the full set.

Don't know if can be called a major after just one year. Anyway him not winning doesn't devalue his achievements, just like Reardon and Spencer never winning the UK doesn't stop them being considered greats.

Correct. You can't just create a tournament somewhere, put a lot of money in it and all of sudden a new major is created. It doesn't work like that. A major has to have tradition, a rich history or at least a longer format or an special venue.

Wrong.

Remember that events like the World Championships, UK etc all had to start somewhere. Importantly though they had the perception of being big events and so they were embraced immediately by the players and public.

No.

The UK for example always had a longer format, the Masters was just for the Elite top 16 and the World Championship is as the name dictates the biggest tournament of them all.

Postby Wildey

in my opinion theres too much enphasis on the term MAJOR in snooker just 3 years ago having any kind of new Ranking Event was a MAJOR Event in itself.

2009/2010 6 Ranking Events
2010/2011 8 Ranking Events
2011/2012 9 Ranking Events
2012/2013 11 Ranking Events
2013/2014 12 Ranking Events+another Potential Ranking Events

all those tournaments are major events to win and its doubled in 4 years.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Jewell wrote:
Well, going by that logic the UK is no longer a major because the format has been shortened, and some of the places it has been staged in, in recent years has been pretty rubbish.

Yes, it has history, but that counts for little in this new modern era of snooker under Barry Hearn.

No doubt the UK was devalued a couple of years ago and I know a lot of people here were pretty upset about it. But it's extraordinarily rich history, the legendary trophy and the price money still makes it the second or at least the third most important tournament on the tour.
Last edited by Snooker Overdrive on 16 Aug 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Rigsby beaten by that geriatric Yorkshireman again! rofl

Sometimes I wonder what you're doing all day. But one thing is for sure, every time Ronnie loses a match, you immediately turn up here out of nowhere just to comment on it.

Exactly, hadn't posted a comment before, and then virtually from nowhere comes up with that BS rofl

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Rigsby beaten by that geriatric Yorkshireman again! rofl

Sometimes I wonder what you're doing all day. But one thing is for sure, every time Ronnie loses a match, you immediately turn up here out of nowhere just to comment on it.

Exactly, hadn't posted a comment before, and then virtually from nowhere comes up with that BS rofl

I have never seen this guy posting a constructive comment in this forum. It seems that he somehow is letting out his whole frustration from his personal life by insulting Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Postby Skullman

Wildey wrote:all those tournaments are major events to win and its doubled in 4 years.

True, but not all tournaments are equal and I think the Worlds, UK and Masters are a cut above the rest, as do most fans, which is why they're called 'majors'.

Postby Skullman

TheRocket wrote:I have never seen this guy posting a constructive comment in this forum. It seems that he somehow is letting out his whole frustration from his personal life by insulting Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Trust me, you'd prefer him insulting ROS than his preachy, OTT posts about veganism.

Postby vodkadiet

Skullman wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I have never seen this guy posting a constructive comment in this forum. It seems that he somehow is letting out his whole frustration from his personal life by insulting Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Trust me, you'd prefer him insulting ROS than his preachy, OTT posts about veganism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhnygLQ4Ar4

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:
Wildey wrote:all those tournaments are major events to win and its doubled in 4 years.

True, but not all tournaments are equal and I think the Worlds, UK and Masters are a cut above the rest, as do most fans, which is why they're called 'majors'.

no for years they were called tournaments then when the overseas market tournaments took hold the BBC Coined that phrase so that they can be seen as holding few tournaments but the MAJOR ones.

Postby Wildey

Saturday 17th of August

10am

Last 16
Mark Williams v Pankaj Advani streaming guess
Steve Davis v Marco Fu streaming if Lawler wins
Anthony Hamilton v Ding Junhui
Jimmy Robertson v Vinnie Calabrese
------------------------------------------------------------------
Stephen Maguire v Peter Lines
Shaun Murphy v Tom Ford
David Gilbert v Ricky Walden
Mark Allen v Rod Lawler/John Higgins streaming if higgins wins

1pm

Quarter Finals
Mark Williams/Pankaj Advani v Steve Davis/Marco Fu
Anthony Hamilton/Ding Junhui v Jimmy Robertson/Vinnie Calabrese
Stephen Maguire/Peter Lines v Shaun Murphy/Tom Ford
David Gilbert/Ricky Walden v Mark Allen/Rod Lawler/John Higgins

4pm

Semi Finals

8pm

Final

Postby Wildey

roy142857 wrote:Thing with Lightning Rod is, when he's playing well it's slow but its not negative as such - he's just attacking slowly!

yea he does attack the balls but very very slowly

Postby Wildey

Friday 16th of August

Approx 7.30pm

Liang Wenbo 2-4 Stephen Maguire
Peter Lines 4-1 Ronnie O’Sullivan
James Wattana 2-4 Shaun Murphy
Tom Ford 4-2 Dominic Dale
Martin Gould 0-4 David Gilbert
Ricky Walden 4-0 Ryan Day
Mark Allen 4-1 Joe Swail
Rod Lawler 4-2 John Higgins

Postby Roland

When I got there Ronnie was 2-1 down and there were about twice as many people as were in yesterday. That's great, except most of them thought that was only match going on and between frames were walking out across other players lines not even waiting for shots to be played. Un-Nooh missed a pot because of it and McGill had to pause for people to stop walking in front of him when he was in the middle of a match winning break at 3-3 v Harold.

Anyway that aside it was a good day and good turnout. Wattana was brilliant in beating Lisowski on the stream which I watched before heading out, so I made a note to keep an eye on him but didn't really get the chance as he played on the far table next match. In the end he lost to Murphy in round 3.

Lyu Haotian certainly made a name for himself and when you see him close up it makes you realise he's just a boy. It's amazing how good he is already so god knows how good he's going to be when he grows up.

I watched Chen Zhe for the first time, or Sleepy as he's known because he looks so dozy. He again has potential and doesn't hit the ball too hard like a lot of Chinese, but his lack of experience showed and Tom Ford beat him without too much trouble.

Wenbo played a blinder against Mike Dunn after beating Robbo. He went 3-0 up and looked to be potting everything, then Dunn almost got a century for 3-1 (doubled last red on 90 odd but potted brown in same shot) and won the next before Wenbo entered hoover mode in the 6th.

McGill and Day had an entertaining 4th frame. Day lead 2-1 and had Ants tight in behind brown over the yellow pocket. Ants went for the hit and hope, glanced the yellow and smashed the reds everywhere not leaving anything on. The ref was never going to be able to put the balls back exactly how they were, it was amusing to watch him try and he did a pretty good job of it in fairness. A couple of shots later McGill went for a long red at pace, slashed at it and caught it thin and the white went bombing back into baulk, double kissed the blue on baulk cushion and stopped dead leaving the table very safe. Day made the error, McGill stepped in and was a few balls from a frame winning break before getting a huge kick on 2nd to last red. Day then potted up to yellow and then HE got a massive kick. Eventually McGill won it with the blue along baulk cush that saved his bacon earlier in the frame. Day did not look happy, but he won the next 2 to go through.

Anyway enough waffle on the days play. I didn't see much after about 6pm to be honest because I got chatting to Vinnie and Ben Woollaston for ages then went for food, came back to see Ronnie had been beaten, went back in, had enough and came home.

I'll be back tomorrow though, not missing Pankaj v Williams. Also want to see Vinnie do well now I've got to know him a bit. He's a great lad, very chatty and down to earth. I told him the first time I saw him was last month against Ryan Clark on the stream and that he was rubbish. He knew, he explained that he was still on a high after qualifying for Wuxi and that he'd been so excited booking tickets and hotels and he went into the next match on a high and with totally the wrong game plan to take everything on and win quick. He's had some impressive results prior to getting on tour including losing 4-1 in the last 32 to eventual winner Poomjaeng (who he beat yesterday) in the World Amateur after making 8 centuries in the round robin stage. Anyway he's got Jimmy Robertson tomorrow at 10am so I'll be keeping an eye out.

Postby Wildey

Also want to see Vinnie do well now I've got to know him a bit. He's a great lad, very chatty and down to earth.

that's nice to know :redneck:

Postby hendry_fan

Wildey wrote:Saturday 17th of August

10am

Last 16
Mark Williams v Pankaj Advani streaming guess
Steve Davis v Marco Fu streaming if Lawler wins
Shaun Murphy v Tom Ford
Mark Allen v Rod Lawler/John Higgins streaming if higgins wins

1pm

Quarter Finals
David Gilbert/Ricky Walden v Mark Allen/Rod Lawler/John Higgins

4pm

Semi Finals

8pm

Final

Good morning all,rise n shine!.

Had a great evening yesterday,verrrrrry enjoyable indeed. :happy:

So,we,re down to the last 16.

My come ons for today are,.....

,..........Maguire,Advani,Murphy and Calabrese. :-)

Postby Wildey

Saturday 17th of August

10am

Last 16
Mark Williams v Pankaj Advani streaming
Steve Davis v Marco Fu
Shaun Murphy v Tom Ford
Mark Allen v Rod Lawler streaming

1pm

Quarter Finals
David Gilbert/Ricky Walden v Mark Allen/Rod Lawler

4pm

Semi Finals

8pm

Final

Postby Wildey

Last 16
Mark Williams 1-0 Pankaj Advani
Steve Davis 1-0 Marco Fu
Anthony Hamilton 0-1 Ding Junhui
Jimmy Robertson 0-1 Vinnie Calabrese
Stephen Maguire 1-0 Peter Lines
Shaun Murphy 1-0 Tom Ford
David Gilbert 1-0 Ricky Walden
Mark Allen 0-1 Rod Lawler