Topic locked

Re: World Championship S F 1 : Ronnie O'Sullivan v Barry Haw

Postby Cannonball

Andy Spark wrote:
boris_the_butcher wrote:why did Hawkins get so many kicks and Ronnie very few? Maybe Hendry's assertion that bad cuing can be a big factor is relevant. Or maybe the balls are biased against Ronnie's opponents.

haha...Yes, the balls are just biased Ronnie fanboys. They only kick when it's an opponent of Ronnie and completely fail to see the good play of Ronnie's opponents and how such good play doesn't deserve a kick. :chuckle:

I don't completely agree with Hendry but I do get his point. If you punch the ball, more kicks will happen. Ronnie gets less kicks than the rest apparently, and he cues through the ball and mostly prefers to stroke the shot. <ok>

Postby Andy Spark

Sonny wrote:
Cannonball wrote: And you will hear how many support Ronnie on Sunday. The rocket army will make their presence known. Bring the noise!

Yeah, the place will be full of disrespectful hammers I'm sure.

So, I take it you'll be there. :chuckle:

Postby Cannonball

It must be gutting for them, to support every other player, and still they have to watch their men lose, year after year. 3 years of continual hurt! rofl

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Barry's post match:

Barry Hawkins wrote:"I feel like I've been absolutely mentally bashed to pieces. After the first session I knew it was important to get off to a good start against him and I had a couple of horrendous kicks which cost me a couple of frames.

"The match before took it out of me a little and I just didn't think I was mentally strong enough. I just felt I was being battered and I felt like I didn't have much in the tank left to give.

"I tried my best at the end but he just kept potting silly balls to get in and he was cueing unbelievably well. I wished it was all over towards the end of it. I've had a good tournament but I'm glad that's all over to be honest.

"After the second session I was completely gone and I thought I'll just try my best - I always try my best and never give up. I felt a bit better tonight going out there. In the first frame I got a massive kick on the black so maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

"I'm so glad I can put my cue away for a while, I've had enough to be honest with you. I just want to go out and have a beer now - that's all I want to do."

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 66,00.html

Postby Blavdes

Cannonball wrote:I've opened that very expensive Penderyn, buck it, it ain't every day a hero makes the grade. Here's to Sunday Rocketeers:

:hatoff:

It doesn't take much to work out who people are referring to. Ronnie is into his third successive World final with an aggregate this year of 53 - 25. That's a damn lot of great snooker being played and the 'anyone but Ronnie brigade' have made a total of how many positive posts in his matches? one? I actually can't remember one, but lets say for argument sakes and law of averages one slipped in there somewhere. All that needs to be said.

Postby Cannonball

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Barry's post match:

Barry Hawkins wrote:"I feel like I've been absolutely mentally bashed to pieces. After the first session I knew it was important to get off to a good start against him and I had a couple of horrendous kicks which cost me a couple of frames.

"The match before took it out of me a little and I just didn't think I was mentally strong enough. I just felt I was being battered and I felt like I didn't have much in the tank left to give.

"I tried my best at the end but he just kept potting silly balls to get in and he was cueing unbelievably well. I wished it was all over towards the end of it. I've had a good tournament but I'm glad that's all over to be honest.

"After the second session I was completely gone and I thought I'll just try my best - I always try my best and never give up. I felt a bit better tonight going out there. In the first frame I got a massive kick on the black so maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

"I'm so glad I can put my cue away for a while, I've had enough to be honest with you. I just want to go out and have a beer now - that's all I want to do."

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 66,00.html

Yep, the bunnies have this to look forward to, once they've drained each other tomorrow. Thanks Dom, we owe you one! <ok>

Postby Cannonball

I hope Baz has a good holiday and a great beer. Another good season. But you can't go in to the ring against Ronnie half equipped. I didn't realise how much Dom had done to him, but I said he'd emptied some of his tank. How much have the other two got left. Hopefully just enough to pass out after tomorrow.

Postby Paddpotter

Ronnie played great in the end but really disappointed with both this match and the Murphy Quarter . Why have none of these supposed best players in the world got any fight in them? Murphy could have been 3-0 up but as soon as a little bit of pressure was applied to him he collapsed like a pack of cards!?? Same thing happened with Hawkins. Ding had won 5 Rankings coming into this but as soon as he stepped into the crucible he collapsed without playing anybody of note. Mentally Ding is not strong enough either but has won so much because competition is pretty much non existent and most rankings are over the shorter distances which don't test players to their full limit. Trump is another without mental fortitude which is why I gave him no chance against Robertson.

Thankfully the only other players with any substance to them apart from Ronnie, Selby and Robertson are still left standing so this world championship has a chance of not just turning into the Ronnie O'sullivan show for another year.

The Robertson and Selby match has been great to watch but I just hope one of them has enough to at least give Ronnie a game and not make this final another disappointment. Ronnie is the winner to all these losers currently at the top of snooker but the rest of us watching are the losers

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:Wild said he was sick of Hawkins smiling

How is that anti Ronnie

Clueless fan boys

Im anti Ronnie sausage head fans of which there are many.

Im Anti players getting hammered and smiling

I Love Ronnie the player but id love any player to show some balls and send him packing just to snake hiss off the said sausage head fans

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:Ding didn't collapse. Didn't you see the match?

Yeah in the decider he couldnt have done much else, he gave it absolutely everything.

But you can't deny a prime Ding would have never reached a decider in this match and would have won something like 10-6 or 10-7. He made far too many mistakes especially in the 2nd session, as I said a prime Ding would have never lost that match.

Postby Paddpotter

He didn't collapse within the context of the game because wasley played very well but you could see from early on he had collapsed mentally again. Look at his body language early on it was clear. The venue and the atmosphere affected him
Last edited by Paddpotter on 03 May 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
GJ wrote:Wild said he was sick of Hawkins smiling

How is that anti Ronnie

Clueless fan boys

Im anti Ronnie sausage head fans of which there are many.

Im Anti players getting hammered and smiling

I Love Ronnie the player but id love any player to show some balls and send him packing just to snake hiss off the said sausage head fans

There are a few out there unfortunately.

And in that regard Perry has so far been the only one who came so close to beating Ronnie and showed so much bottle, but he didnt do much wrong in the last few frames because Ronnie like all great champs do just upped his game and nothing Perry could have done about that.

Postby Roland

He was frustrated but played a very good decider, he was just unlucky not to win it and had he won it who's to say he wouldn't have kicked on? Not me because I know he would.

Postby Andre147

Paddpotter wrote:

He didn't collapse within the context of the game because wasley played very well but you could see from early on he had collapsed mentally again. Look at his body language early on it was clear.

Exactly, his body language wasnt great from the start, he was banging his cue I think in the first session and didnt seem confortable out there, so he did collapse mentally, not in the deciding frame, but well before that.

In the decider the killer instinct kicked in, but unfortunately for him it was too little too late.

Postby Wildey

I Was a huge Ronnie Fan still am to be honest then i came online well the prats ive encountered since then has soured me a bit but the fact i named 3 players that could win the tournament about a month ago and with 3 days to go those 3 players are the only ones left in pleases me.

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:He was frustrated but played a very good decider, he was just unlucky not to win it and had he won it who's to say he wouldn't have kicked on? Not me because I know he would.

He shouldnt have required a decider in the first place, as I said earlier had he been mentally strong he would have won that match 10-6 I think or something like that.

Postby Paddpotter

Sonny wrote:He was frustrated but played a very good decider, he was just unlucky not to win it and had he won it who's to say he wouldn't have kicked on? Not me because I know he would.

It should never have got to that point though? the reason it did was because the venue and occasion got to him. He is mentally weak and it's pathetic really

Postby Andre147

But could that match be actually a blessing in disguise for Ding? He now knows full well he cant take anyone for granted at the Worlds, not saying he took Wasley for granted but at times he had strange shot selection.

He should learn from that match and in the future have much better performances at the Crucible.

Postby Roland

Paddpotter wrote:

It should never have got to that point though? the reason it did was because the venue and occasion got to him. He is mentally weak and it's pathetic really

Find me a player who has never lost in Round 1 to an opportunist opponent playing out of their skin? Ronnie for starters and David Gray who incidentally lost big to Dominic Dale just like Wasley did in round 2.

I missed the first session but heard about Ding cue banging and the score was 3-3 but he ended up 6-3 ahead. I was there live for the second session and it was as high quality as you could wish to see. Wasley played out of his skin and took the game to Ding and Ding couldn't possibly have played better in the decider, two slices of fortune went the way of his opponent and that was that, Ding lost. Had they been not been pulled off at 9-8 the momentum was with Ding and he would have won 10-8 as near as dead cert as you can have. Not Ding's year, simple as that. To say he's mentally weak is utter utter bullocks!

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:

Find me a player who has never lost in Round 1 to an opportunist opponent playing out of their skin? Ronnie for starters and David Gray who incidentally lost big to Dominic Dale just like Wasley did in round 2.

I missed the first session but heard about Ding cue banging and the score was 3-3 but he ended up 6-3 behind. I was there live for the second session and it was as high quality as you could wish to see. Wasley played out of his skin and took the game to Ding and Ding couldn't possibly have played better in the decider, two slices of fortune went the way of his opponent and that was that, Ding lost. Had they been not been pulled off at 9-8 the momentum was with Ding and he would have won 10-8 as near as dead cert as you can have. Not Ding's year, simple as that. To say he's mentally weak is utter utter bullocks!

Yeah thats true, but paddpotter is right though, a prime Ding would have never required a decider there.

Anyway, thats history now, Ding has long not been in this tournament so until next year :wave:

What matters now is Ronnie is into his 6th World Final :-D :D :clap:

Postby Paddpotter

Sonny wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:

I missed the first session but heard about Ding cue banging and the score was 3-3 but he ended up 6-3 ahead. I was there live for the second session and it was as high quality as you could wish to see. Wasley played out of his skin and took the game to Ding and Ding couldn't possibly have played better in the decider, two slices of fortune went the way of his opponent and that was that, Ding lost. Had they been not been pulled off at 9-8 the momentum was with Ding and he would have won 10-8 as near as dead cert as you can have. Not Ding's year, simple as that. To say he's mentally weak is utter utter bullocks!

I said Wasley played very well and yes Ding was unlucky but look at Dings record in the worlds since he turned professional? I could use numerous examples to show Ding is not strong mentally it's not bullocks at all. He has got a lot stronger this season in that respect but still no where near to even challenge an ageing O'sullivan

Postby Roland

Yeah well we'll see won't we? Ding circa 2014 is a different beast to what's gone before. He is so frighteningly good I think he's about to take over from Ronnie as the dominant force in the game.

Skullman is right to highlight the International final against Fu. If that doesn't show mental resilience then nothing does.