Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Monday April 28th) Last 16 !

Postby Cannonball

Sonny wrote:It would be great, but it's not going to happen. He could surprise everyone and knock out Hawkins though.

That's what I've been thinking/saying. He'll need consistency and his best game, but he could do it. There are more surprises left in this strange championships...

Postby Andre147

Cannonball wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:What would people here prefer as the final?

My order of preference is O'Sullivan v Selby, O'Sullivan v Robertson and O'Sullivan v Trump.

Hopefully Selby can final get that illusive world title, heck knows he deserves it.

Tardis final: Alex Higgins v. Ronnie.
Just so that Ronnie could feel like the sane one in the room for a change. <laugh>

What a Final that would be.. <laugh>

Postby Cannonball

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Cannonball wrote:

My order of preference is O'Sullivan v Selby, O'Sullivan v Robertson and O'Sullivan v Trump.

Hopefully Selby can final get that illusive world title, heck knows he deserves it.

Tardis final: Alex Higgins v. Ronnie.
Just so that Ronnie could feel like the sane one in the room for a change. <laugh>

What a Final that would be.. <laugh>

Ronnie would lose, the cigarette smoke would get to him. ;-)

Postby Andre147

Andre147 PGC wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:So can Robbo break the 100 barrier tonight?

8 chances to do it, so he just needs to operate at 25%,

He won't, he'll make 1 I think and the other will be done in the 3rd session.

But certainly dont wanna miss that moment when he reaches 100.

Well I got the first part right, Robbo only made 1 ton this 2nd session, so hopefully his next and the 100th will come in the 3rd session.

I know Sonny doesnt want that as he wants to watch it at the arena... <laugh>

Postby edwards2000

O'Sullivan v Allen or O'Sullivan v Trump.

Robertson not too bad, but he and Selby both slow the game down (and bog it down) and would ruin a greater attacking spectacle.

Failing O'Sullivan getting there, I'd like Allen or Trump against Hawkins or Murphy.

Postby SnookerFan

edwards2000 wrote:
O'Sullivan v Allen or O'Sullivan v Trump.

Robertson not too bad, but he and Selby both slow the game down (and bog it down) and would ruin a greater attacking spectacle.

Failing O'Sullivan getting there, I'd like Allen or Trump against Hawkins or Murphy.

So, the guy with 99 centuries in a season shows a reluctance to attack?

Postby edwards2000

I said attacking spectacle. Not ability to break build. Robertson continually time wastes. Selby is also a very good break builder, but he plays ultra negatively a lot of the time. Making loads of high breaks does not make you a flair player.

I also said "greater" not "great".

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:I would love a Ronnie vs Robbo or a Ronnie vs Allen final. If I could choose now I think I'd go for Ronnie vs Allen.

I'm not sure about Ronnie vs Allen, as I think Ronnie would win that one comfortably. Ronnie vs Robbo would be better, more competitive.

Postby Roland

Muppet147 wrote:I think Robertson is the only one who has a chance of beating Ronnie.

I think Fu and Selby are the ones with the best chance of beating him. I know everyone thinks Robbo will but I think Ronnie would beat him.

Just a pity Ding went out because he'd have had a fair crack

Postby Wildey

Mate Ding would have zero chance at the Crucible on the back of that Welsh Final.

Ding needs to start beating Ronnie on a regular basis at other events to build up the belief he can before going to Sheffield.

there's a massive mental block for Ding at the Crucible and playing Ronnie i dont think this year he could have over come both

Postby Roland

I do but there you go. Let's see what happens next season because sooner or later Ding is going to turn the tide on Ronnie.

Ding played rubbish in the Welsh final but listening to him I think it's done him good and he's learned from it.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:I do but there you go. Let's see what happens next season because sooner or later Ding is going to turn the tide on Ronnie.

Ding played rubbish in the Welsh final but listening to him I think it's done him good and he's learned from it.

We'll never know, because he couldn't overcome Micahael Wasley. <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

AC or LT? wrote:The beeb should get murphy to commentate. At least he actually watches the game

Not that he ever has anything useful to say about it though.

I'd have thought it was the last thing we needed. Giving Murphy even more opportunity to give his opinion on matters. :roll:

Postby Souvent

Skullman wrote:Surely he should be focusing on his game and preparing for his match rather than watching others?

He's probably the greatest snooker fan among players. I've heard him mentioning his snooker fandom many a time during his career. I've always pretty much rooted against him because I thought he had no business winning that one WC but I've been growing fonder of Murphy lately (not in THAT way). He seems to be a genuine snooker fan and I think we can all relate to that.

Postby Skullman

Souvent wrote:
Skullman wrote:Surely he should be focusing on his game and preparing for his match rather than watching others?

He's probably the greatest snooker fan among players. I've heard him mentioning his snooker fandom many a time during his career. I've always pretty much rooted against him because I thought he had no business winning that one WC but I've been growing fonder of Murphy lately (not in THAT way). He seems to be a genuine snooker fan and I think we can all relate to that.

I've got nothing against him watching snooker, but surely it's not the best idea to watch Robbo v Allen, when he should be focused on getting past Fu, and maybe sorting out his careless misses on 40+? It's alright when he has a couple of days off between matches, but mid-match?

Well whatever works for him, I suppose.

Postby SnookerFan

Souvent wrote:

rofl rofl

I take your point though. I can see him being the sort of person who'd watch at home, even if he wasn't involved in the tournament.

Unlike a lot of the BBC mob who probably don't even realise that snooker is televised on Eurosport.