Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Tue April 22nd) Last 32 !!

Postby SnookerFan

Cannonball wrote:

I believe it should be in China every other year. Fairs fair.

If Newport isn't big enough for the Welsh Open then how the hell is the Crucible big enough for the Worlds? The World Cup is staged in different countries on different continents each time, so I don't see why the WSC shouldn't be staged in different countries if World Snooker is truly building a world game? Traditions are fine and sometimes new traditions are necessary. Forget 900, I reckon we could put 10,000 bums on seats if promoted properly. Why not reach for the stars instead of accepting sub-standard? Because the two table set-up with a dividing wall at the Worlds is a joke. Old farts are holding snooker back.

I liked Newport actually. <laugh> But I was in a minority of one.

Anyway, the only people who think that snooker should be moved away from The Crucible are the ones who have never been. :-D

Postby Wildey

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
kolompar wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Trump talking rubbish.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-spo ... ip-3439353

<doh>

he actually has a point there

I dont get these millions of pounds in China thing though
most money at a Chinese event so far was 625000 pounds half of the current WC prize money

If Newport isn't big enough for the Welsh Open then how the hell is the Crucible big enough for the Worlds? The World Cup is staged in different countries on different continents each time, so I don't see why the WSC shouldn't be staged in different countries if World Snooker is truly building a world game? Traditions are fine and sometimes new traditions are necessary. Forget 900, I reckon we could put 10,000 bums on seats if promoted properly. Why not reach for the stars instead of accepting sub-standard? Because the two table set-up with a dividing wall at the Worlds is a joke. Old farts are holding snooker back.

I guess you must be an idiot as well then because I agree with you :p

if you get the right Venue then it should move

Masters has not re created what they had after the conference center and move to any old venue could be the biggest cockerel up snooker ever made and there's been some major ones over the last 30 years

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:What's sub-standard about The Crucible, anyway?

It is Small but that what makes the atmosphere it creates the wrong venue would just destroy that

Postby Cannonball

SnookerFan wrote:
Cannonball wrote:

Anyway, the only people who think that snooker should be moved away from The Crucible are the ones who have never been. :-D

The Crucible is great but you're missing the point. Can you justify why some folk in England should have exclusive access to the tournament? This isn't a national event like the UK or China Open, it's the world event. Why should it always be staged in a small venue in the same country? Please justify.

Postby boris_the_butcher

Cannonball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Cannonball wrote:

The Crucible is great but you're missing the point. Can you justify why some folk in England should have exclusive access to the tournament? This isn't a national event like the UK or China Open, it's the world event. Why should it always be staged in a small venue in the same country? Please justify.

Because it's still a UK based sport and the world championship at the crucible is such a strong combination. Plus the sponsors maybe willing in china but the crowds are dismal. The world championship deserves a near full house crowd every session.

Postby SnookerFan

Cannonball wrote:

Why should it go to China? A country that overprices it's tickets to the point that fans can't attend? You justify.

Postby PLtheRef

boris_the_butcher wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Cannonball wrote:

Because it's still a UK based sport and the world championship at the crucible is such a strong combination. Plus the sponsors maybe willing in china but the crowds are dismal. The world championship deserves a near full house crowd every session.

One, crowds are dismal, When you consider the temp seating that a World Snooker put in nearly every venue the Crucible is one of the larger venues, only the Tempdrom I can think has more seats.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

masterdoctorgenius wrote:The world venue should never been moved. It has too much a history

It has 37 years worth. Theirs football clubs with near 150 years history would jump at the chance of moving, including Barry hearns football club.

Postby Wildey

Cannonball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Cannonball wrote:

you making a good point but would you risk losing what makes the tournament special?

you cant underestimate what the crucible adds to the World Championship.... people dont say qualifying for the world championship its qualifying for the Crucible

Postby Cannonball

SnookerFan wrote:
Cannonball wrote:

Why should it go to China? A country that overprices it's tickets to the point that fans can't attend? You justify.

What do you mean, I'm sure Chinese and Asian fans will find it easy to attend. Do you want your cake and eat it? rofl

Postby Cannonball

Wildey wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Cannonball wrote:

you making a good point but would you risk losing what makes the tournament special?

you cant underestimate what the crucible adds to the World Championship.... people dont say qualifying for the world championship its qualifying for the Crucible

The Crucible is special, but I'm sure if done right, a new type of special could be created. The size of the audience needs to be special, the prize money needs to be special. There are more people at a Legends bash than at the Worlds. How can that be right? A dividing wall on ropes; antiquated.

Postby Wildey

Cannonball wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Cannonball wrote:

The Crucible is special, but I'm sure if done right, a new type of special could be created. The size of the audience needs to be special, the prize money needs to be special. There are more people at a Legends bash than at the Worlds. How can that be right? A dividing wall on ropes; antiquated.

well they haven't got even close to make the masters special after the conference center. the only venue ive seen where it might work is in berlin the Tempodrom.