Post a reply

Re: Bank of Beijing China Open Final Discussion !!!

Postby Andy Spark

Andre147 PGC wrote:And nice that Hendry doesn't hold one more record alone :-D

Yes, Ronnie getting his 12th 147 maybe the beginning of a trend; gradually chipping away at Hendry's records. I certainly expect a few more to topple or be equaled over the next few years. :-)

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:Anyway, despite his win, going by history not looking good for Ding to win the Worlds this year.

1. Last player to win the last two events of the season was John Higgins back in 1998, when he won the British Open and his first Worlds.
2. Last time a player won five rankers in the same season (Hendry in 1990/91) they went to lose at the Worlds.
3. None of Ding's victories have been on British soil.

The third point might actually be important. Ding didn't do well in the UK and Masters, although I can't see a particular reason why he struggled there.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:Anyway, despite his win, going by history not looking good for Ding to win the Worlds this year.

1. Last player to win the last two events of the season was John Higgins back in 1998, when he won the British Open and his first Worlds.
2. Last time a player won five rankers in the same season (Hendry in 1990/91) they went to lose at the Worlds.

The third point might actually be important. Ding didn't do well in the UK and Masters, although I can't see a particular reason why he struggled there.

At the UK he said he had felt very tired after having played so much prior to that.

At the Masters he said he hadn't prepared as well as he could have done over the Christmas and New Year time, but yeah as I said that is a good point.

Isn't it ironic that prior to this season Ding could only really win events on British soil, now he's winning them in China, Germany and India.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Ronnie broke a trend that goes back to 1996 last year so nothing at all to suggest Ding cant start a new Trend this year.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:

Hadn't noticed that, and that is a good point actually.

The Worlds is a diferent ball game, for me Robbo is 2nd favourite, Ding is close on 3rd but given Robbo's record at the Crucible I just put him a tad ahead of Ding.

But Robbo has a tougher draw. The only really dangerous looking player in Ding's quarter is Hawkins and first time finalist's often struggle the following year.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Ronnie broke a trend that goes back to 1996 last year so nothing at all to suggest Ding cant start a new Trend this year.

Yes and that's why he's no. 2 on my main contenders list.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Yes and that's why he's no. 2 on my main contenders list.

But don't get me wrong SO if Ronnie doesn't win the Worlds I do hope you're right and nothing would please me more than Ding winning it, that would be the icing on the cake after the dream season he's having.

Postby Andre147

Robbo on Twitter:

"Gave it my all just had nothing left in the tank. Possibly a match to far. One of my best achievements in getting to the final"

Well considering he was close to withdraw from tournament after his first match that sure is a fine achievement and his game is in good shape for the Worlds.

Postby Skullman

Although it's slightly worrying that he had nothing left in the tank, especially with the Worlds so close. And he won't have much rest between matches since he's in the last first round match to finish.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Although it's slightly worrying that he had nothing left in the tank, especially with the Worlds so close. And he won't have much rest between matches since he's in the last first round match to finish.

Plenty of time to refill about 20 tanks

he will be back in Cambridge by Wednesday tops then 2 weeks before he plays in Sheffield.

Postby Andy Spark

Number Crunching

Ding Junhui 2014...A player who's "dominated" the season with 5 ranking events. Rough Crucible Odds 9/1

Ronnie O'Sullivan 2013...A player who's only played one best of 7 match all season and lost that. Rough Crucible odds around 7/1 or 8/1

Postby Andy Spark

GJ wrote:Andy

Its like tiger woods he's fav regardless same with Ronnie.

Yes, but still interesting to note that if Ding were to win the World Championship this year it would be more of a shock than what happened last year with Ronnie's "amazing" win after a year out.

Postby Andre147

LOL, but the first photo isn't the greatest either so if it was with a higher resolution you can tell the differences, but there aren't many I know what you mean. <laugh>

Postby mantorok

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Shaun Murphy has taken to Twitter. He says that Ding is one of the favorites for Sheffield.

Shaun Murphy is really going out on a limb with his predictions...

Winning the WC is nothing like winning any other tournament, doesn't matter how good your form is/has been, it can all change for better or for worse during the 17-day marathon.

Truth is you can never tell what will happen at the WC, but my money would still be the people who have won it before, because that indicates the necessary endurance to make it all the way through.

Postby PLtheRef

mantorok wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Shaun Murphy has taken to Twitter. He says that Ding is one of the favorites for Sheffield.

Shaun Murphy is really going out on a limb with his predictions...

Winning the WC is nothing like winning any other tournament, doesn't matter how good your form is/has been, it can all change for better or for worse during the 17-day marathon.

Truth is you can never tell what will happen at the WC, but my money would still be the people who have won it before, because that indicates the necessary endurance to make it all the way through.

The thing is that Ding arguably is mentally tough enough to come through a series of best of 19 and 25 frame matches. He came very close to the final at the Crucible three years ago and that was after not half a good a season as this one has been.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I'm very happy for Ding. When Ronnie's not playing Ding is the one I support., he's the second best player in the world right now in my opinion.
His only flaw is still the mental aspect, he gets too frustrated when he's not playing his best sometimes and just gives up. But when he's playing his A game he's brilliant and has a great all round game similar to a prime John Higgins.

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:I'm very happy for Ding. When Ronnie's not playing Ding is the one I support., he's the second best player in the world right now in my opinion.
His only flaw is still the mental aspect, he gets too frustrated when he's not playing his best sometimes and just gives up. But when he's playing his A game he's brilliant and has a great all round game similar to a prime John Higgins.

What? How can you possibly say that? That has been the one aspect that he has improved A LOT over the past 2 years, he doesn't get frustrated anymore, he just accepts it and in recent times he has comeback and won matches when not playing his best until he started the comeback, need I have to name some of those? PTC Grand Finals Final, Ding was 3 nil down against Robbo and won 4-3, 4 nil down against Woolaston Shanghai Masters match and won 5-4, 9-8 down against Fu at IC Final and won the match and therefore tournament, and there are many more examples. So it is forgive me to say it a bit silly for you to say that about Ding when in fact what has happened is the exact opposite, his temperament has never been better than it is now, and he can win many matches when not playing his A game, and unlike you say nowadays he never gives up.

Postby Andre147

His only mental flaw is still when he plays Ronnie, and that is nothing new, but you can't make a statment like that when that only happens against 1 player on the tour.

He needs a Big win over Ronnie to overcome that, had his best chance at CoC match this season when 5-3 up but couldn't do it.

So in short an exception doesn't make the rule in Ding's case, far from it.