Topic locked

Bank of Beijing China Open Semi Final Discussion!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image

Monday 31st of March ~ Sunday 6th of April at the Beijing Students University Stadium, Beijing, China

Neil Robertson making a great attempt to successfully defend the Bank of Beijing China Open Title and will meet Twice World Championship Runner up Ali Carter. In the Other Semi Final Ding Junhui the Man of the season against Mike Dunn who has been a professional for 23 years and will be playing in his first semi final.

Who will make it to the Final?

DRAW

Semi Finals

Neil Robertson v Allister Carter Robertson leads 10-7
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Ding Junhui v Mike Dunn Ding Junhui leads 4-0

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Bank of Beijing China Open Semi Final Discussion!

Postby Wildey

This week mike dunn gone from 72nd up to 54th on the Money list and if the unthinkable happens and he beats Ding he will go up to 45th and if he becomes champion he would be 26th lol

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ding is pretty much a certainty now to reach his 6th (!!!) ranking final of the season. How many finals did Hendry reach when he won 5 titles in one season?

6 ranking finals and 6 invitational finals

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:But it has been said its impossible to dominate these days well ding is proving thats not the case

But he's not really dominating, is he? OK he won more ranking events than anybody else but the biggest two tournaments went to Robertson and Ronnie. Also I think domination means being the undisputed No. 1 in the World but we all know that isn't the case.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wildey wrote:But it has been said its impossible to dominate these days well ding is proving thats not the case

But he's not really dominating, is he? OK he won more ranking events than anybody else but the biggest two tournaments went to Robertson and Ronnie. Also I think domination means being the undisputed No. 1 in the World but we all know that isn't the case.

yes your right however Ding is showing with the right application and will to win domination is well within the grasp of today's players

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

yes your right however Ding is showing with the right application and will to win domination is well within the grasp of today's players

Yes I agree, this is as close as anyone as ever been in dominating the game for donkey doo years, so everything Ding has done, the will to win every single tournament he enters, should be fully praised. A lot of players need to learn from Ding that you can't peak for certain events and if you are willing to put in the hard work and willing to win every single tourney like Ding has done this season, confidence will take care of itself and nothing better than to win match after match, tournament after tournament like Ding has done in this dream 2013/2014 season.

Postby Sickpotter

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

I think some credit must be given for consecutive ranking event wins.

IMO players can share the wins across multiple players and one could still consider one of them dominant based on consecutive wins.

Undisputed no.1........isn't every player who makes the #1 ranking the undisputed #1? If we're going to suggest a player is not the undisputed #1 simply because another player didn't play in the events they did couldn't we say there's no such thing as an undisputed #1? :shrug:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Sickpotter wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

I think some credit must be given for consecutive ranking event wins.

IMO players can share the wins across multiple players and one could still consider one of them dominant based on consecutive wins.

Undisputed no.1........isn't every player who makes the #1 ranking the undisputed #1? If we're going to suggest a player is not the undisputed #1 simply because another player didn't play in the events they did couldn't we say there's no such thing as an undisputed #1? :shrug:

I wasn't talking just talking about rankings...

Davis was the undisputed No.1 of the 80s and Hendry was the undisputed No.1 of the 90s but we don't have that kind of dominance anymore (which by the way I think is a good thing).

The last player to truly dominate a season was Mark Williams, winning the triple crown in 2002/03. But even then he didn't win another title besides the 3 majors.

Postby Wildey

Hendry and Davis had different mindset to players today that doesent mean its within their grasp its just the way those two played out their career was so different to anyone else.

Re: Bank of Beijing China Open Quarter Final Discussion!

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:I'll be honest, I think Robbo's this week improved performance is due to forgetting about the 100 centuries thing. He said in his post match today that he's knows it's a long shot now and has stopped thinking about it, and I don't think it's a coincidence that in the same week he reaches his first semi since the UKs.

Good point, but if he can get at least a couple here in China than 6 tons at the Crucible if he reaches say the quarter-finals or even at last 16 shouldn't be a problem for him.

But if he's left with 8 tons at the Crucible, that won't be easy for him.

Re: Bank of Beijing China Open Quarter Final Discussion!

Postby Sickpotter

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Skullman wrote:I'll be honest, I think Robbo's this week improved performance is due to forgetting about the 100 centuries thing. He said in his post match today that he's knows it's a long shot now and has stopped thinking about it, and I don't think it's a coincidence that in the same week he reaches his first semi since the UKs.

Good point, but if he can get at least a couple here in China than 6 tons at the Crucible if he reaches say the quarter-finals or even at last 16 shouldn't be a problem for him.

But if he's left with 8 tons at the Crucible, that won't be easy for him.

8 tons at the WC isn't that hard a target, just has to make it through a few matches. Longer format of the WC will certainly help.

When you figure Hendry posted 16, reaching half that shouldn't be that hard given his fluency in the balls....just has to let them come. <ok>

re Undisputed #1....I think to have that title you need to be ranked #1, for the majority of the decade and consecutive years. Davis had 7, Hendry 8. That doesn't leave much room for dispute, they certainly dominated their decades. Ronnie's closest of the current crop but hasn't dominated per say...mostly due to personal issues, partially due to Higgins and Williams.