Topic locked

Re: Bank of Beijing China Open Quarter Final Discussion!

Postby Skullman

mantorok wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Can't believe some of the easy pots Selby missed today. Can't be good for his confidence.
He should not have entered this tournament and should be home preparing for the worlds, in my opinion.

Wouldn't be able to use the "burnt out" excuse if he did that though :-)

Losing early on in tournaments to journeymen is exhausting though.

Postby GJ

All players go through tough phases but selbys scoring has been going downhill for a while , needs to sort it soon or it will only get harder to fix.

Postby mantorok

Skullman wrote:
mantorok wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Can't believe some of the easy pots Selby missed today. Can't be good for his confidence.
He should not have entered this tournament and should be home preparing for the worlds, in my opinion.

Wouldn't be able to use the "burnt out" excuse if he did that though :-)

Losing early on in tournaments to journeymen is exhausting though.

I'm not sure why everyone here rates Selby so much, his WC performance hasn't exactly been breath-taking, yet eveyone seems to think he's capable of winning it.

His break-building used to be good but now that's deserted him he's an average prospect.

Postby mantorok

Muppet147 wrote:If Ronnie bothered to watch this tinpot event, he would be rubbing his hands at the dismal form of Selby and Robbo.

Winning his third world title in a row will be far easier than expected.

I know you're jesting and all but it's not that far from the truth, I'm not sure what's going on but everyone seems to have gone to pot, apart from Ding there's no real domination going on, and if that's the most Ronnie has to contend with at the worlds he's not going to be severely troubled.

Postby GJ

Muppet147 wrote:
GJ wrote:Nice jinxing muppet cheers

<cool>

My pleasure.

And I'm looking forward to cheering Robbo's first round opponent in the worlds.

you wont get so lucky this time :-)

Postby Snooker Overdrive

GJ wrote:Selbys confidence is at an all time low

I agree. On the other hand Robbo really turned it around this week, his responses under pressure were remarkable. Both went to China not feeling great but Neil will go back home confident, while Mark won't take many positives from this tournaments, I think.

Postby Muppet147

mantorok wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:If Ronnie bothered to watch this tinpot event, he would be rubbing his hands at the dismal form of Selby and Robbo.

Winning his third world title in a row will be far easier than expected.

I know you're jesting and all but it's not that far from the truth, I'm not sure what's going on but everyone seems to have gone to pot, apart from Ding there's no real domination going on, and if that's the most Ronnie has to contend with at the worlds he's not going to be severely troubled.

Ding is a great player but over the longer distance matches, I think Ronnie pretty much has his number. I really do think this year will be one of Ronnie's easiest wins.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
GJ wrote:Selbys confidence is at an all time low

I agree. On the other hand Robbo really turned it around this week, his responses under pressure were remarkable. Both went to China not feeling great but Neil will go back home confident, while Mark won't take many positives from this tournaments, I think.

Yeah, when put under pressure Robbo duly responded even being ill <laugh> whereas Selby as you, I and a few others have been saying he won't get anywhere scrapping it out match after match, he needs to find his scoring fast if he's even to be a major contender for the Major tournaments because unlike some say I don't even put Selby in the top 5 contenders for the Worlds this year, his game isn't just good enough atm to win a tournament like that. He should remember his best years from 2008/2011 and start playing the way he was then, and I also don't think it's because he has listened too much to the critics that he can't replicate that sort of form, no, his main problem has been his positional play that very often lets him down when he should be doing 1 visit frame winning stuff.

His confidence is very low no doubt, had one of the easiest quarters imaginable here but he still somehow managed to bottle it rofl :wave:

Postby Skullman

I'll be honest, I think Robbo's this week improved performance is due to forgetting about the 100 centuries thing. He said in his post match today that he's knows it's a long shot now and has stopped thinking about it, and I don't think it's a coincidence that in the same week he reaches his first semi since the UKs.