Topic locked

Re: China Open WC and Last 64 Discussion !!!

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Robbo survives a decider. 5-4 against Hamilton.

SO did you watch the end?

Robbo was visibly ill, after he had won it he looked at Hamilton and didn't even want to clear the table, Hamilton duly conceded the match and Robbo just sat down, as if dizzy and breathing very heavily.

He didn't look well at all at the PTC Grand Finals, and it appears his condition hasn't improved at all.

If he doesn't improve he should really consider pull out as to not worsen his visible illness.

No I didn't watch the end.

If he really has the flu, he has to pull out immediately!

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Robbo survives a decider. 5-4 against Hamilton.

SO did you watch the end?

Robbo was visibly ill, after he had won it he looked at Hamilton and didn't even want to clear the table, Hamilton duly conceded the match and Robbo just sat down, as if dizzy and breathing very heavily.

He didn't look well at all at the PTC Grand Finals, and it appears his condition hasn't improved at all.

If he doesn't improve he should really consider pull out as to not worsen his visible illness.

No I didn't watch the end.

If he really has the flu, he has to pull out immediately!

It is indeed flu, plus Robbo said this on Twitter:

"One of the greatest wins in my career. Possibly wouldn't have got on the plane had I known my virus was this bad."

Apprently it got worse has he got there, so if it keeps like this he should really consider pulling out, the Worlds is just around the corner :john: :roll:

Postby Skullman

Robbo not only has to worry about himself, depending on how much contact he has with the players, he could get others infected, which won't be good for them, especially if they have to go to the qualies.

Postby Andre147

GJ wrote:Great fighting spirit from robbo , very proud.

He should just pull out of this event and not force it anymore with the illness he has, if he's to stand a good chance at the Crucible.

Postby GJ

Was working earlier but just saw the highlights on youtube robbo looks like hes about to faint at the end.

Postby Andre147

GJ wrote:Was working earlier but just saw the highlights on youtube robbo looks like hes about to faint at the end.

Yes GJ that's why and giving what he said on Twitter I really think he should just pull out and not force it anymore if he carries on like that.

Sod that defending champ thing or whatever, health comes first and the Worlds is just around the corner.

Postby PLtheRef

Andre147 PGC wrote:
GJ wrote:Was working earlier but just saw the highlights on youtube robbo looks like hes about to faint at the end.

Yes GJ that's why and giving what he said on Twitter I really think he should just pull out and not force it anymore if he carries on like that.

Sod that defending champ thing or whatever, health comes first and the Worlds is just around the corner.

This. Which is the more important. Putting in a defence of this tournament and putting the world championship campaign or taking what could well be a vital three week break ahead of what will be a bruising assault where you would give him a real chance of making the last four if not the final.

The 100 centuries has gone out the window now, The important thing is to be ready for Sheffield.

Postby Roland

Robbo isn't going to pull out, he could get a century in the next match and then only need 7 at the Crucible or even better 2 or 3 centuries in China

Postby Roland

Cloud Strife wrote:This must be the worst China Open ever. The powers that be have absolutely ruined this tournament.

Agreed

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:Robbo isn't going to pull out, he could get a century in the next match and then only need 7 at the Crucible or even better 2 or 3 centuries in China

rofl So basically if he doesn't get better he will put his health at risk just to get another ton or whatever? rofl

Sod the number of tons, health comes first and if he carries on like this in this tournament that won't help him ahead of the World Champs and another 1st round defeat there wouldn't surprise me then....

You and a few others begin to be a little bit obcessed, more than Robbo, with that 100 tons.... ok it would be an amazing achievement and one that likely won't be beaten soon, but if he doesn't reach 100 who cares...

I for one would swap that 100 tons for this China Open title in a blink of an eye, that much is certain, or of course even way better another World Title for him.

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:Robbo isn't going to pull out, he could get a century in the next match and then only need 7 at the Crucible or even better 2 or 3 centuries in China

And for that matter you make it sound like he wouldn't be bothered to exit first round at the Worlds as long as got those 100 tons, a few here and a few at the Crucible rofl :wave:

If Robbo becomes so obcessed with that number not only will he not reach that 100 but also he won't go very far here and at the Worlds.

As I said, best for him to just pull out of this event health wise and be fresh for the Worlds.

Postby Andre147

All this talk, what do you really think Robbo would prefer? Win the World Title again and finish the season on 99 tons or as some seem to think put everything at risk just to get those 100 tons in this season?

I know what I would choose. :wave:

Postby Skullman

World title obviously. Really no point in him staying in. If he's really sick, it's unlikely he'll be able to make any tons. If eh focuses on the Worlds and winning that second title, the tons will sort themselves out. Must have been a while since someone's won the World title making less than 8 tons.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:World title obviously. Really no point in him staying in. If he's really sick, it's unlikely he'll be able to make any tons. If eh focuses on the Worlds and winning that second title, the tons will sort themselves out. Must have been a while since someone's won the World title making less than 8 tons.

Exactly Skull that's what I'm saying, just pull out of this, be fully fresh for the Worlds and just focus on winning a second World Title, and like you say the number of tons will just come naturally.

Ironically the last player to make less than 8 tons in the Worlds and win it was Robbo <laugh> he made 7 in 2010, but he's a much better player now breakbuilding wise and overall than he was back in 2010, so really if he has a good run at the Crucible no reason at all not to make at least those 8 tons he badly wants it.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 PGC wrote:
GJ wrote:Great fighting spirit from robbo , very proud.

He should just pull out of this event and not force it anymore with the illness he has, if he's to stand a good chance at the Crucible.

Pros don't pull out.

if he can pull off winning this or even going far with the flu it will hold him in good stead for Sheffield...

Confidence can be gained from all sort of situations "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Postby Roland

If Robbo has a flu like virus he can have a rest day and sooner or later he'll start to feel better. What's happened is he's got ill then he's put himself through the trauma of long flights and subsequent jet lag which as anyone who has experienced it can tell you, takes at least 4 to 5 days to overcome. I expect him to spend the next day or so in bed recovering and I would expect him to fare much better in the next match.

The whole 100 centuries thing despite you all dismissing it is actually a massive deal. He knows that this will be the last chance he will ever have in his life to get 100 centuries in a season. Think about it, if you were a professional player and you were on 92 (is it 92?) centuries with a couple of events left then you would be trying 110% to get more centuries. If it was me, I'd have to be on my death bed to get me to withdraw from a chance to increase that total.

When we get to the Crucible of course he'll be thinking of lifting the title, and he'll be thinking of a potential hazard in Mark Allen in round 2 as well. He will have his game head on at the Crucible and if he were to face Allen in round 2 then he is the type of player who trades big breaks with the big boys so Robbo will know his typical match game in such an encounter will produce a few centuries without thinking about too much.

My personal feeling is that he will reach 99 without too much bother from here on, and he is in a position in China that it doesn't matter to him if he goes out before the final, it will mean extra time off before the worlds so why not try for a few centuries if he can?

Once he reaches 99 though, that's when the proper pressure will kick in whenever he finds himself in a position to get to 100.

Imagine if he's on a 147 and on 99 centuries. If he gets to 104 then the rest will seem easy!

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:If Robbo has a flu like virus he can have a rest day and sooner or later he'll start to feel better. What's happened is he's got ill then he's put himself through the trauma of long flights and subsequent jet lag which as anyone who has experienced it can tell you, takes at least 4 to 5 days to overcome. I expect him to spend the next day or so in bed recovering and I would expect him to fare much better in the next match.

agree and its not as if he comes home and lands in tudor square ready to play he will have a good long week in Cambridge with his family and then back to practice ready for sheffield.....

Postby Lucky

Cloud Strife wrote:This must be the worst China Open ever. The powers that be have absolutely ruined this tournament.

What have they done to ruin it? I haven't watched any yet.

Postby Roland

What's ruined it is the late shift of PTC finals to Preston from Thailand. That's made it unrealistic for many to travel to China to play with jet lag so there are big names missing and also it's so close to the Worlds that some qualifiers who have a good run in China will find themselves jet lagged for their first WC match.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:What's ruined it is the late shift of PTC finals to Preston from Thailand. That's made it unrealistic for many to travel to China to play with jet lag so there are big names missing and also it's so close to the Worlds that some qualifiers who have a good run in China will find themselves jet lagged for their first WC match.

its not ruined nobody broke up the table all the main Challengers for the World Championship is here apart from Ronnie and lets face it if they played the China Open in january or February he wouldn't be there.

Postby Wildey

Tuesday 1st of April

2.30am

Marco Fu 5-3 Li Hang
Kurt Maflin 1-5 Judd Trump
Stuart Bingham scr Martin O'Donnell w/o
Pankaj Advani 1-5 Ricky Walden
Yu De Lu 5-3 Duane Jones
Dave Harold w/o Stephen Maguire
Tian Pengfei 5-2 Gary Wilson

7am

Ding Junhui 4-1 John J Astley
Michael Wasley 2-3 John Higgins
Mark Allen scr Luca Brecel w/o
Matthew Selt 4-2 Ryan Day
Fergal O'Brien w/o Barry Hawkins
Peter Ebdon 2-3 Jimmy Robertson

12.30pm

Stuart Carrington v Mark Selby
Shaun Murphy v Jamie Cope
Anthony McGill v Mark Williams
Allister Carter v Jamie Jones
Craig Steadman v Michael Holt
Michael White v Zhao Xintong

Postby Lucky

It does seem a long way to go from Preston to china with such a small period between tournaments. I thought they'd sorted the calendar into 'sections' so that all the Asian tournaments were together etc. Or is that beyond world snooker?