Post a reply

Re: China Open Last 128 Discussion !!

Postby Skullman

GJ wrote:Its all about majors

It's about winning in general. Selby has four majors to Ding's three but no one in their right mind thinks that Mark's achieved more.

Plus all the greats have a healthy number of ordinary rankers to go with their majors. I doubt MJW would be considered as good as he is if he only had his six majors and none of his fourteen rankers to go with it.

Postby Skullman

7:00pm

Neil Robertson 3-3 Li Yan Streaming
Gerard Greene 3-3 Hammad Miah
Pankaj Advani 4-3 Chen Zhe
Ricky Walden 3-3 Liam Highfield Streaming
Allister Carter 5-1 Lee Page
Jamie Jones 5-1 Mitchell Travis
Ryan Day 5-2 Khaled Beleid Abumdas
Jimmy Robertson 5-3 Sydney Wilson

Postby GJ

Skullman wrote:

It's about winning in general. Selby has four majors to Ding's three but no one in their right mind thinks that Mark's achieved more.

Plus all the greats have a healthy number of ordinary rankers to go with their majors. I doubt MJW would be considered as good as he is if he only had his six majors and none of his fourteen rankers to go with it.

Robbo has won quite a few normal ones but now he's in his 30's the smart strategy is prioritising majors.

Postby hendry_fan

Skullman wrote:

Exactly Skullman,of course the majors are better and more prestgious on the CV but as you wrote,it,s about winning in general,winning as many titles as possible is what really counts. <ok>

Postby Skullman

Neil Robertson 5-3 Li Yan
Gerard Greene 4-5 Hammad Miah
Pankaj Advani 5-3 Chen Zhe
Ricky Walden 5-3 Liam Highfield
Allister Carter 5-1 Lee Page
Jamie Jones 5-1 Mitchell Travis
Ryan Day 5-2 Khaled Beleid Abumdas
Jimmy Robertson 5-3 Sydney Wilson

Postby Skullman

Monday 17th February

10:00am

Jamie Burnett v Luca Brecel
Ben Woollaston v Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
Michael White v Scott Donaldson
Liu Chuang v Sam Baird
Marco Fu v Adam Wicheard Streaming
Cao Yupeng v Li Hang
Aditya Mehta v Alexander Ursenbache
Stuart Bingham v Alan Taylor Streaming

2:30pm

Stephen Maguire v Chris Wakelin Streaming
Shaun Murphy v Adam Duffy Streaming
Mark King v Chris Norbury
Ian Burns v Craig Steadman
Michael Holt v Antony Parsons
Tom Ford v Mike Dunn
Tina Pengfei v Sean O’Sullivan
Mark Davis v David Morris

Judd Trump v Elliot Slessor Streaming
Robbie Williams v John Astley
Ken Doherty v Andrew Norman
Barry Hawkins v Cao Xin Long Streaming
Alfie Burden v Ross Muir
Andrew Higginson v Tony Drago
Martin Gould v Barry Pinches
Nigel Bond v Sanderson Lam

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:Don't think GJ would be too upset if Robbo somehow lost this match. Still early days of course, but after all he did want him to skip the China Open, even being defending champ.

I would definately give Robbo more of a chance of doing well at the Worlds if he lost this match than if for instance he went far in the China Open.

winning breed confidence, skipping event nothing lost but loosing zaps confidence.

its a load of bull all this talk of burn out. Winning china increases his chances in Sheffield not decreases it.

You talking like most of the past winners in China have done well in the Wolrds, which we all know it's far from the truth so :wave:

I agree with the BS talk about burnout, and I didn't mention that at one point, but I honestly do feel if he has a good run in China that won't increase his chances in the Worlds, far from it in fact.

Although on the other hand Ronnie for instance skipping it I don't know if it'll work well this time because after the Welsh Open he'll spend a long time without competitive play barring if he plays in the PTC Grand Finals. Of course he spent the whole of last season without playing and won the Worlds, but this season is a totally diferent prospect.

Postby Skullman

I really don't think the China Open has much to do with it, it's just that players rarely win two events in a row, regardless of where in the season they are. That said, I think if Ding won there, you'd wouldn't think he'd do badly in the Worlds.

PS Don't forget Judd won in China in 2011 and reached the World Final, while Higgins reached the 2009 China Open final and won the Worlds that year,

Postby GJ

I get wilds point that a player can't turn form on and off when it suits them.

on the other hand its vital they peak at the right time.

Postby Wildey

Na that's a load of rubbish and a loser mentality its about dominance of every tournament.

Postby edwards2000

Wildey wrote:

Na that's a load of rubbish and a loser mentality its about dominance of every tournament.

Disagree. I don't think most of the top players really consider the PTC events or the Welsh Open alongside a major (or close to it). In fact, Ronnie has been deliberately skipping events on the calendar, but you seldom see him skip one from the triple crown.

It's nothing to do with a "loser mentality", and everything to do with good planning. I am guessing the majority of players would give up ALL their wins in a year if it meant they would be World Champion.

A player doesn't need to win everything to be considered the best, or have an aura. They just need to win the biggest of events. Right now, Ronnie holds the Masters and World titles. Do you think he gives a toss about China Open, Welsh Open, PTC 8?

Nah.

Postby Andre147

edwards2000 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Disagree. I don't think most of the top players really consider the PTC events or the Welsh Open alongside a major (or close to it). In fact, Ronnie has been deliberately skipping events on the calendar, but you seldom see him skip one from the triple crown.

It's nothing to do with a "loser mentality", and everything to do with good planning. I am guessing the majority of players would give up ALL their wins in a year if it meant they would be World Champion.

A player doesn't need to win everything to be considered the best, or have an aura. They just need to win the biggest of events. Right now, Ronnie holds the Masters and World titles. Do you think he gives a toss about China Open, Welsh Open, PTC 8?

Nah.

I do understand your point, and agree with it somewhat, but Skull gave a good example: Selby has 4 Major titles, Ding has 3, so by those standards you think Selby has achieved more than Ding? Don't think so. And Skull also refered to Williams, you really think he would be considered among the greats of the game if he "only" had 6 Major titles and none of his 14 other regular rankers? He would be considered a great, but not that great as he is today I've no doubt about that.

Of course Major titles are vastly important, and at the end of the day players will be recognised by those they won, but the other regular rankers are important too to a player's CV.

What you're saying is basically if for instance Ronnie can't win any more Major title for the rest of his career, if he manages to win 3 or 4 regular rankers though you simply would discount them and not give much importance.

If that happened I for one would very much like him to win for instance at least another German Masters title and one in China.

So in short as Wild said it's all about a winning mentality really, and over the history of our game no one had that better than a certain Mr Hendry, the man just wanted to win everything he could. Right after winnning an event, he was straight to the practice table and forgot about his title and just focused on the next tournament and that's what made him the champion he is.

Postby edwards2000

Neither of those are a world champion, but I am willing to bet they'd rather have a major than any other tournament, and give up all other non major titles for the World.

I think the likes of Ronnie are well beyond ordinary titles. If Ronnie won another 50 ranking titles, I am pretty sure he'd swap them for 2 world titles, because that's the gauge by which you are judged and remembered. No one quotes how many China Open titles you have.

I am not saying ordinary Ranking events are unimportant., All players love winning, and all players want titles and money, but players who have won multiple majors have set their bar higher than that.

If missing a few tournaments means a high quality player is fresher and more able to play for a major title, then that's what they should do. Clever planning of a schedule is something tennis players (esp those over 30) do routinely.

Hendry played in an era with far fewer tournaments than present, so it's not fair to judge it.

Postby Wildey

Its pathetic the emphasis today fans puts on Majors ive never gone along with that.

as a Fan i dont give a toss about players peaking for events and treat each event as the most important one to win as they come along.

yes you want to win the World Championship more than others but thats when it starts not a day before.

Postby Simone

Un-Nooh already 3-0 up over Ben, and looking like 4-0 with no time at all. What a hot prospect he is for the future the way he plays. He ousted Ronnie during the last qualifiers, and quick fired really good during the shoot-out.

Postby Skullman

Un-Nooh could be great as long as he avoids dodgy men and the scorelines of some of his matches don't keep matching with some odd betting patterns.

Postby Skullman

Jamie Burnett 2-1 Luca Brecel
Ben Woollaston 1-5 Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
Michael White 5-0 Scott Donaldson
Liu Chuang 2-2 Sam Baird
Marco Fu 4-0 Adam Wicheard Streaming
Cao Yupeng 1-3 Li Hang
Aditya Mehta 2-1 Alexander Ursenbache
Stuart Bingham 3-1 Alan Taylor Streaming

Thepchaiya's done quickly.

And looks are Cao and Scott are getting beaten :sad:

Edit: And Scott's definitely beaten now.

Postby Skullman

Jamie Burnett 2-3 Luca Brecel
Liu Chuang 2-4 Sam Baird
Marco Fu 5-1 Adam Wicheard Streaming
Cao Yupeng 4-4 Li Hang
Aditya Mehta 4-2 Alexander Ursenbache
Stuart Bingham 4-2 Alan Taylor Streaming

Cao Yupeng has fought back from 1-4 to force a decider. Hope he finishes the job.

Postby Skullman

Jamie Burnett 3-5 Luca Brecel
Liu Chuang 2-5 Sam Baird
Marco Fu 5-1 Adam Wicheard
Cao Yupeng 4-5 Li Hang
Aditya Mehta 5-2 Alexander Ursenbache
Stuart Bingham 5-2 Alan Taylor

Postby Skullman

Stephen Maguire v Chris Wakelin Streaming
Shaun Murphy v Adam Duffy Streaming
Mark King v Chris Norbury
Ian Burns v Craig Steadman
Michael Holt v Antony Parsons
Tom Ford v Mike Dunn
Tina Pengfei v Sean O’Sullivan
Mark Davis v David Morris

Postby Skullman

Stephen Maguire 2-0 Chris Wakelin Streaming
Shaun Murphy 1-2 Adam Duffy Streaming
Mark King 2-0 Chris Norbury
Ian Burns 1-1 Craig Steadman
Michael Holt 2-1 Antony Parsons
Tom Ford 3-1 Mike Dunn
Tina Pengfei 4-0 Sean O’Sullivan
Mark Davis 1-1 David Morris

Looks like Murphy is back to his old self. Five days playing well then crap.

Postby hendry_fan

Skullman wrote:2:30pm

Stephen Maguire 2-0 Chris Wakelin Streaming
Shaun Murphy 1-2 Adam Duffy Streaming
Mark King 2-0 Chris Norbury
Ian Burns 1-1 Craig Steadman
Michael Holt 2-1 Antony Parsons
Tom Ford 3-1 Mike Dunn
Tina Pengfei 4-0 Sean O’Sullivan
Mark Davis 1-1 David Morris

Looks like Murphy is back to his old self. Five days playing well then crap.

Thats a bit harsh Skullman,he,s only 1 frame behind after havin played 3 frames!. <laugh>

Jamie Burnett 3-5 Luca Brecel

Wowwwwwwwwww!,Brecels managed to win a match again,kickin out a Scot!. :grrr: :-D

Postby Skullman

Stephen Maguire 3-1 Chris Wakelin Streaming
Shaun Murphy 2-2 Adam Duffy Streaming
Mark King 3-1 Chris Norbury
Ian Burns 1-3 Craig Steadman
Michael Holt 3-2 Antony Parsons
Tom Ford 3-3 Mike Dunn
Tian Pengfei 5-0 Sean O’Sullivan
Mark Davis 1-3 David Morris

Postby Skullman

hendry_fan wrote:
Thats a bit harsh Skullman,he,s only 1 frame behind after havin played 3 frames!. <laugh>

But he's been crap in four of the five frames he's played.

Postby hendry_fan

Skullman wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:
Thats a bit harsh Skullman,he,s only 1 frame behind after havin played 3 frames!.

But he's been crap in four of the five frames he's played.

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl :-D :-D

Postby Andre147

Luca finally getting a good win under his belt, but he'll have a very tough game next at the venue if he faces Mark Allen.