That was a sickener for me

Re: Wyldecrest Parks PTC Grand Final Quarter Finals Discussi

Postby Andre147

GJ wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
GJ wrote:Tough draw but round 1 has to be negotiated first

You don't want a surprise like last year I see GJ <laugh>

That was a sickener for me

Robbo won't get upset again unless he has a really tough draw like Dotty first round and even that I think he would come through.

His main problem in that match against Milkins he has often admited was getting bogged down and starting play slow, and when Robbo gets in that mood more often than not he ends up losing.

He won't make the same mistake.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Crucible last 16:

Ronnie vs Perry
Robertson vs Allen
Selby vs Carter
Ding vs Davis

Interesting then.

Robbo v Allen should be a cracker, but Robbo will get the better of him I feel if both meet.

Ronnie v Perry <laugh> Can't see Joe winning more than 8 or 9 frames and that's pushing the boat out a bit

Selby vs Carter could also be a great match.

Looks like Ding has the "easiest" route to the quarters of all the 4 top seeds.

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:Would be winner of ROS/Perry v winner of Smurph/Fu.

Thanks. I'm somehow really excited about this draw, lol. Don't know why but I just can't wait for the World Championship, more than ever. I feel, it's gonna be a really great one including a great final like last year or 2011.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:

Thanks. I'm somehow really excited about this draw, lol. Don't know why but I just can't wait for the World Championship, more than ever. I feel, it's gonna be a really great one including a great final like last year or 2011.

Well it's the same every year before the Worlds isn't it... we can't wait for it to start.

I too would like this year's Final to be contested by 2 really top players, say Ronnie v Robbo or Ronnie v Selby, something like that.

But even if Ronnie aint in it I'd very much like Ding to make the Final and win it, about time he won his first World Title.

Postby Andre147

Muppet147 wrote:Selby will never win it. He is way too negative.

His main problem isn't so much being negative but clearly something is missing when he reaches the latter stages of tournaments, maybe spends too much mental energy beforehand, plus his positional play nowadays is just awful and he can't win many frames in 1 visit.

I really thought had he beat Higgins in that 2009 Worlds quarter-final, one of the best matches I've watched at the Worlds, he would have gone to win the title. He was scoring very heavily back then, something he isn't doing nowadays.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 PGC wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

Well it's the same every year before the Worlds isn't it... we can't wait for it to start.

I too would like this year's Final to be contested by 2 really top players, say Ronnie v Robbo or Ronnie v Selby, something like that.

But even if Ronnie aint in it I'd very much like Ding to make the Final and win it, about time he won his first World Title.

It's definitely gonna be tougher for Ronnie this year I feel. The quarterfinal against Bingham last year was just too easy for him. Don't think, same is gonna happen against Fu or Murphy. But if he reaches the final, I think, he is gonna win it for sure. Quarter/semi will be the key.

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:About time Selby won it. Probably his last or second last chance.

I think, Selbys game and the energy he always spends into the matches will seal him a defeat in the second or third round. It doesn't surprise me that he had his best results in 2007 and 2010. At that time he was playing fluently and were making some great breaks. Nowadays I very rarely see him winning frames in one visit.

Postby Wildey

In the Masters Final Selby was over attacking for the form he was in....i think Selby is complicating things and its making him look stupid at times....

He shouldn't give a toss what Ronnie or Muppet think about how he plays But for me it looks like its getting to him and hes caught between 2 thought with shots.

I suggest he Grinds the hell out of matches.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
Skullman wrote:About time Selby won it. Probably his last or second last chance.

I think, Selbys game and the energy he always spends into the matches will seal him a defeat in the second or third round. It doesn't surprise me that he had his best results in 2007 and 2010. At that time he was playing fluently and were making some great breaks. Nowadays I very rarely see him winning frames in one visit.

Absoutely, I would definately add 2009 to that list as I said above, he made 5 tons against Higgins in that quarter-final but still lost.

Nowadays like you say he spends far too much mental energy in early rounds an in a tourney like the Worlds that will cost you in say quarters or semis for instance.

He needs to find his scoring powers again if he's to win a World Title I feel.

Postby TheRocket

Wildey wrote:In the Masters Final Selby was over attacking for the form he was in....i think Selby is complicating things and its making him look stupid at times....

He shouldn't give a toss what Ronnie or Muppet think about how he plays But for me it looks like its getting to him and hes caught between 2 thought with shots.

Grinding the hell out at the World Championship? Don't think, he is gonna win the World by doing that. I think it's gonna destroy him more than the others in these longer formats. Even the mastergrinder and timewaster Ebdon played some good attacking stuff in 2002, when he won the title. He made 4 centuries alone in the final.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:In the Masters Final Selby was over attacking for the form he was in....i think Selby is complicating things and its making him look stupid at times....

Yeah keep doing that round after round at the Worlds and see where that leads you :wave:

It's definately no coincidence his best results were in 2007, 2009 and 2010.