Topic locked

Re: Wyldecrest Parks PTC Grand Final Quarter Finals Discussi

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:
Wildey wrote:In the Masters Final Selby was over attacking for the form he was in....i think Selby is complicating things and its making him look stupid at times....

He shouldn't give a toss what Ronnie or Muppet think about how he plays But for me it looks like its getting to him and hes caught between 2 thought with shots.

I suggest he Grinds the hell out of matches.

Grinding the hell out at the World Championship? Don't think, he is gonna win the World by doing that. I think it's gonna destroy him more than the others in these longer formats. Even the mastergrinder and timewaster Ebdon played some good attacking stuff in 2002, when he won the title. He made 4 centuries alone in the final.

Selby is a more Fluent player than Ebdon is so he can mix it but at the moment hes trying to force it at the wrong time because he thinks that what expected of him to shut up critics.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Wildey wrote:In the Masters Final Selby was over attacking for the form he was in....i think Selby is complicating things and its making him look stupid at times....

He shouldn't give a toss what Ronnie or Muppet think about how he plays But for me it looks like its getting to him and hes caught between 2 thought with shots.

Yeah keep doing that round after round at the Worlds and see where that leads you :wave:

It's definately no coincidence his best results were in 2007, 2009 and 2010.

He was getting criticized during throes years... Selby has changed his mind set in recent years and trying to be more attacking but hes just starting to take on Wrong shots at the Wrong time and its affecting his all round game.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

Grinding the hell out at the World Championship? Don't think, he is gonna win the World by doing that. I think it's gonna destroy him more than the others in these longer formats. Even the mastergrinder and timewaster Ebdon played some good attacking stuff in 2002, when he won the title. He made 4 centuries alone in the final.

Selby is a more Fluent player than Ebdon is so he can mix it but at the moment hes trying to force it at the wrong time because he thinks that what expected of him to shut up critics.

I don't know if he's trying to force the issue, but he definately won't win a World Title by griding match after match. Like I said previous it's no coincidence his best results at the Worlds came in those years, so he needs to find some of that form again.

A ranking event win could spur him on again.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Wildey wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

I don't know if he's trying to force the issue, but he definately won't win a World Title by griding match after match. Like I said previous it's no coincidence his best results at the Worlds came in those years, so he needs to find some of that form again.

A ranking event win could spur him on again.

and like i said he has had criticism of how he plays since thoes years so the criticism has affected him he should just ignore that bullocks and play the matches on merit

Postby TheRocket

But overall, no matter how you look at it. As long as Selby doesn't improve in the breakbuilding/scoring department or scoring department he can do what we want. He won't win the title then. He needs his breakbuilding of 2010 or 2011 to really have a chance to win the title.

Making breaks over breaks is the key of surviving this adventure WC and winning the 71 frames you need for the title. You need to be there, every single session and making these breaks to keep yourself in the match.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:But overall, no matter how you look at it. As long as Selby doesn't improve in the breakbuilding/scoring department or scoring department he can do what we want. He won't win the title then. He needs his breakbuilding of 2010 or 2011 to really have a chance to win the title.

Making breaks over breaks is the key of surviving this adventure WC and winning the 71 frames you need for the title. You need to be there, every single session and making these breaks to keep yourself in the match.

So maybe like Wild says just ignore some of those critics and play his own natural game without trying to force it too much.

He definately has the game to win a World Title I've no doubt about that, but needs to sort that out if he is to stand a realistic chance.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I think Ali Carter could be even favourite in a last 16 match against Selby, with the record he has at the Crucible and the form Mark is in.

Yeah agree, Ali usually goes under the radar before the Worlds but then plays well at the Crucible so that wouldn't surprise me at all like you say.

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:But overall, no matter how you look at it. As long as Selby doesn't improve in the breakbuilding/scoring department or scoring department he can do what we want. He won't win the title then. He needs his breakbuilding of 2010 or 2011 to really have a chance to win the title.

Agree but he also needs to bide his time and not force things which he is doing

Postby Andre147

That has to be one of the best breaks in this tourney so far considering how the reds were placed when he started it.

Looks very very focused, taking his time on each shot that so far has worked perfectly :-D

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:This is superb from Fu

It was indeed, superb in amongs the balls, his cue ball control is wonderful.

Will be hard to stop, maybe only Judd can stop him from winning the title.

Postby Andre147

masterdoctorgenius wrote:If delu plays like crap today my whole weekend will ve screwed to death

I fear that may happen, often those type of players have a Big win against a top player but then can't replicate that form in the next round and lose.

I expect a close match, but Hawkins I thibk will prove too strong.

Postby Skullman

Apart from the ton, Higgins really didn't play well. Marco definitely fav for the semi, but will need work on his long game to beat Judd. Perry was making breaks for fun but that wasn't enough without better long potting.