Topic locked

Re: Gujinggong Liquor Haikou World Open Last 32 Discussion!

Postby Andy Spark

SnookerFan wrote:
I couldn't agree more. A champion just finds a way to win.

When they put your name on the trophy, there isn't space for them to explain how you did it.

Well yes, I understand that in the short term winning is winning whatever the way, but the manner of victory has big implications for future matches and events. Although there may not be space on the trophy to explain how they did it, there is plenty of space for people to explain how they did it on all the other channels of communication. Ding can get a bigger future fear factor if he can steamroller.

Postby Skullman

On the other hand, players like Higgins and Selby have a fear factor of their own, because they're well known for raising their game when behind and winning.

Edit: Plus part of the fear factor from a steamrollering opponent goes away if they're not playing well, while it arguably gets worse for someone who raises their game.

Postby Andy Spark

Skullman wrote:On the other hand, players like Higgins and Selby have a fear factor of their own, because they're well known for raising their game when behind and winning.

Edit: Plus part of the fear factor from a steamrollering opponent goes away if they're not playing well, while it arguably gets worse for someone who raises their game.

Fair point.

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:Well played robbo , 2 more tons today

i really hope hes not too focused on that No 1 priority must be winning frames, Winning Matches and Winning tournaments

Postby GJ

Wildey wrote:
GJ wrote:Well played robbo , 2 more tons today

i really hope hes not too focused on that No 1 priority must be winning frames, Winning Matches and Winning tournaments

I doubt he is but if the frame is won he may as well go for another ton

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Well it's hard for him to lose frames with tons.

Plus he's still willing to scrap it out considering he won the other three on the colours.

But he could put too much pressure on himselff in the run up the closer he gets.

who cares if he finishes on 97 hope that's his attitude.

Postby Wildey

Wednesday 12th of March

11.30am

Matthew Stevens 4-5 Judd Trump
Rory McLeod 1-5 Neil Robertson
Shaun Murphy 5-1 Mark King
Ken Doherty 1-5 Ricky Walden
Marco Fu 5-3 Michael Holt

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:Ding has been strugling in this match by all accounts not seen it all but when the pressure was on he delivered.

Mark of a champion.

its not about steem rolling players its about responding to a threat.

Agree, what has impressed me the most in recent years is Ding's ability to recover from losing positions, make big break after big break and get himself right back in the match, often winning them like he did here, whereas in the past when behind he let his head down, had strange shot selection and couldnt recover.

Now Ding is the complete player and always responds under threat, like a true champion as you say.

The only thing missing is the Worlds really, he has to be more consistent in the session matches at the Crucible, that has been his main fault there.

Postby GJ

NNear wrote:Well Robertson won 5-1 but he was hardly in full flow. Actually, a lot of his misses came at annoying times for him that resulted in substantially prolonged frames and he missed some very pottable balls.

Making 2 tons when not in full flow is a good sign.

Postby Andre147

GJ wrote:
NNear wrote:Well Robertson won 5-1 but he was hardly in full flow. Actually, a lot of his misses came at annoying times for him that resulted in substantially prolonged frames and he missed some very pottable balls.

Making 2 tons when not in full flow is a good sign.

For many over a Best of 9 if a player doesn't make 4 or 5 tons it is considered not in full flow <laugh> rofl

Robbo may have missed some easy balls, but hell all players do and I'm certain all of them would be happy with a performance like he did having 2 tons and winning 5-1.