Post a reply

BetVictor Welsh Open Final Discussion

Postby Skullman

Image Image Image
Wednesday 19th of February ~ Sunday 2nd of March at the Newport Center, Newport

Despite the shorter format in the opening stages of the tournament, two of the season's three best players have made it to the final.

Ding Junhui, winner of four ranking events this season, wasn't at his absolute best but made some good clearances and a couple of centuries to edge past Joe Perry 6-4. He going for his fifth ranker of the season, matching the record set by Stephen Hendry in the season 1990/1991, and his eleventh ranker altogether, moving ahead of Jimmy White on ranking event wins.

Ronnie O'Sullivan, reigning World and Masters Champion had a slightly easier more pedestrian journey to the final, beating Barry Hakwkins 6-2, making three centuries, and only losing seven frames in total to get here. Victory here would give Ronnie his 26th ranking title, moving ahead of John Higgins and only two behind Steve Davis, second on the all time list.

This has the potential to be a great match but Ronnie has made cakewalks of of quite a few matches that looked close on paper. Can Ding change this?

Head to Heads

Ronnie leads 8-3

Matches in best of 17+: Ronnie leads 2-1

ORDER OF PLAY

Last edited by Skullman on 01 Mar 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Final Discussion

Postby Skullman

Taking off my Wild impersonator hat, just want to say, I hope for a great close final to make this last Welsh Open in Newport special, like the Higgins v Ronnie at the 2006 Masters.

Most people may not think Newport the most glamorous place, but it's supported snooker for over a decade and deserve a good final.

Postby TheRocket

After watching today you would say, Ronnie is gonna make it but as I wrote in the Semi final thread. Was a similar situation in 2008 when Ronnie totally peaked in the semis and destroyed Murphy. Final ended very rubbish as we know (for Ronniefans).

It's gonna be extremely tight I feel. Maybe even decider.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I hope this will be a great final. If both players play their A game it will be a classic! These are the two best players in the world right now, lets hope they will both play their best tomorrow!

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Skullman wrote:Ding only loses finals to left handed players.

Ronnie is one of the best left handed players in the game! :-p

Better than Mark Williams for sure <laugh>

Is Ronnie just using his left hand better than peak MJW though?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

No. But better than current MJW

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Ding is very confident at the moment but if there's any player who can get under his skin it surely is Ronnie.

Of course he won't be crumbling like he was in the Worlds after Ronnie destroyed him in the Masters final but if things get really really tight like in the CoC, I favour Ronnie.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Ronnie could beat MJW one handed! Lol
http://youtu.be/CJcWJexjBYQ

Postby TheRocket

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ding is very confident at the moment but if there's any player who can get under his skin it surely is Ronnie.

Of course he won't be crumbling like he was in the Worlds after Ronnie destroyed him in the Masters final but if things get really really tight like in the CoC, I favour Ronnie.

Yeah, even though as I wrote a couple of days ago. Ding was about to win that decider, very unlucky with the split though. Ding has enough confidence to win a decider even against Ronnie, so I'm not even sure atm whether this will play a big role.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ding is very confident at the moment but if there's any player who can get under his skin it surely is Ronnie.

Yeah, even though as I wrote a couple of days ago. Ding was about to win that decider, very unlucky with the split though. Ding has enough confidence to win a decider even against Ronnie, so I'm not even sure atm whether this will play a big role.

If there's one thing I learned in all my years of watching snooker it's that things like that make a huge difference in big matches. Snooker is a game of the mind and the psychological aspect is not to be underestimated.

Ding hasn't beaten Ronnie in a proper match since 2006, no one can tell me this won't have any sort of affect on Ding.

Postby Skullman

Ding had a psychological barrier against winning in China after 2005, but overcame that. I think Ronnie will have to outplay Ding, rather than Ding mentally choking.

Postby TheRocket

SO, no doubt that these things are going to affect you but Ding is just full of confidence atm you know. He has won 4 rankers and is playing great atm. He has no reason to be afraid atm and I don't think, he is going with fear into the match. Because of the huge confidence he could go with "Now more than ever" mentality into the match.

But Ronnie could scare him if he's playing his full A game like at the Masters 07 but it's tough to produce that level everytime.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:Ding had a psychological barrier against winning in China after 2005, but overcame that. I think Ronnie will have to outplay Ding, rather than Ding mentally choking.

As I said Ding won't crumble. But in all or nothing situations I just favour Ronnie, like in the CoC: pot the blue to win frame and match.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Ding had a psychological barrier against winning in China after 2005, but overcame that. I think Ronnie will have to outplay Ding, rather than Ding mentally choking.

Yeah probably right, but even Ding may crumble under pressure if things get really close and I feel until he doesn't beat Ronnie in a big match like this that mental barrier is always gonna be there.

I do feel Ding will have a lot more of a chance to win if he gets at least 2 or 3 frames ahead when he gets to 8 because then he'll have more of a cushion to work with. I know Ronnie cameback from 5-3 down at the CoC so Ding will have to be careful if he has a good lead.

I think if things get close Ronnie definately has the advantage over him, that's not to say he'll win it that way but his chances increase.

Postby NNear

Couple of thoughts:

- Ronnie's form is amazing.

- Trump had also barely lost a frame heading into the final of the German Masters.

- Last meeting was won in a deciding frame by Ronnie: 6-5 at the CoChampions event.

Postby Andre147

Good point about Trump, and he too made 3 tons against Lawler to win but then when he found 4-2 up never recovered from a loose positional shot and the rest is history, Ding destroyed him with a barrage of great scoring.

However Ronnie is no Trump, has the best control of cue ball ever seen and certainly won't crumble like Trump did for one or 2 bad shot.

Postby Cannonball

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Ronnie could beat MJW one handed! Lol
http://youtu.be/CJcWJexjBYQ

MJW really is the underachiever of the class of 92. Couldn't b bothered making tonnes, couldn't be bothered practising, wasn't in love with the game, more like a job. And then when he does want to play and win, it's late in his career, far too late, he's lost what he had. He was the best long potter of his time. His potting was frightening. Ok, he won world titles, but he could have had more titles. In terms of talent, he's better than Higgins, but the records don't say that. A bit of a waste of talent. Top player in his day though.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:Good point about Trump, and he too made 3 tons against Lawler to win but then when he found 4-2 up never recovered from a loose positional shot and the rest is history, Ding destroyed him with a barrage of great scoring.

However Ronnie is no Trump, has the best control of cue ball ever seen and certainly won't crumble like Trump did for one or 2 bad shot.

No disrespect to Rod Lawler but Ronnie today played the World No. 4 not a 40 year old journeyman.

Postby Cannonball

Holden Chinaski wrote:This really is a dream final. Looking forward to some brilliant snooker tomorrow!

Brushing, blocking and ironing the table + 3 hours practice just got cancelled! <laugh>

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Ding beat Xiao Guodong, Aditya Mehta, Marco Fu and Judd Trump to win his 4 ranking titles this season. I know Fu played extremely well in that final but Ronnie is a different kettle of fish that's for sure.

Ronnie has to be favourite but boy I'll take my hat off to Ding if he can beat Ronnie is this sort of form and condition.

Postby Cannonball

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ding beat Xiao Guodong, Aditya Mehta, Marco Fu and Judd Trump to win his 4 ranking titles this season. I know Fu played extremely well in that final but Ronnie is a different kettle of fish that's for sure.

Ronnie has to be favourite but boy I'll take my hat off to Ding if he can beat Ronnie is this sort of form and condition.

Ding isn't a fan of safety battles, advantage Ronnie. His break-building is as good as Ronnie's though Ronnie can really play very special shots. Ball control is pretty equal though maybe Ding has a slight edge there. This could come down to long potting and the psychological battle. IMO Ding is a better long potter but Ronnie has the power of the mind. It's very close in terms of weapons.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Ronnie O'Sullivan wrote:“I scored well, and though he had chances I felt like I would do some damage when I got in. I felt like I wanted to open up a bit tonight and impose myself.

“The break in frame six was all right, the yellow was safe, a red safe, and others tricky. From the first ball I decided I was either going to clear up or lose the frame, I was happy with it.

“I went out there to win and play some good snooker, I decided a few years ago I wanted to play a certain way and be more aggressive and attacking a lot more. It’s not reckless, because I fancy getting them.

“Playing Ding is a fantastic chance to see where I am against the best player on form. He is the in-form player and will equal Stephen Hendry’s record if he wins of five ranking events in a season. People talk about records, but that is one worth having.

I am trying to leave a legacy, and that is how I used to play when I was younger. I would have won more if I had found this form a few years ago, but better late than never.

http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2 ... nt-display

I especially like that last bit :-)