Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Final Discussion

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:The Ronnie v Higgins match was over-hyped to the extreme by Fans and Pundits alike But The Final is justifiably Hyped big time because Between them they have won with this one 8 Titles in 6 months this season.

Yeah I agree, for me the Ronnie v Higgins match was special purely because I wanted Ronnie to beat him but deep down I knew it wouldn't be such a great match as most were expecting.

But yeah Ding v Ronnie final will be an absolute cracker, the best 2 players atm and overall in the season, even though Ronnie hasn't played in everything.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I've been a Ronnie fan since around 2003. I have many good and some bad memories. There were highs but also very low points. I always had faith in Ronnie, he has a very special talent. He is the only one capable of breaking Hendry's record, and he might do it.

He's a phenomenon and it will be a sad day for snooker when he retires.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Uh oh, even Wild is hyping it. Looks like we're in for 9-0 whitewash without a 50 break.

It sometimes ends up that way doesn't it...

Better not hype it anymore <laugh>

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:I've been a Ronnie fan since around 2003. I have many good and some bad memories. There were highs but also very low points. I always had faith in Ronnie, he has a very special talent. He is the only one capable of breaking Hendry's record, and he might do it.

Sad day no doubt, but snooker will live on just like it did when Alex Higgins for instance didn't play anymore.

Postby TheRocket

Wildey wrote:The Ronnie v Higgins match was over-hyped to the extreme by Fans and Pundits alike But The Final is justifiably Hyped big time because Between them they have won with this one 8 Titles in 6 months this season.

Ronnie vs Higgins matches are justifiably hyped because those two men are classacts. No one of the current crop is ever gonna reach the league of these two players and they gave us super games in the history. Just because the game wasn't good doesn't mean the hype was senseless. Higgins said it perfectly. Ding and Robertson are winning titles but this match is the biggest and he's right.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I've been a Ronnie fan since around 2003. I have many good and some bad memories. There were highs but also very low points. I always had faith in Ronnie, he has a very special talent. He is the only one capable of breaking Hendry's record, and he might do it.

Sad day no doubt, but snooker will live on just like it did when Alex Higgins for instance didn't play anymore.

The Hurricane was fantastic, don't get me wrong, but Ronnie is a bigger legend. Snooker will definitely live on, but I dont think we will see a talent like Ronnie again. Hope I'm wrong.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I was just wondering - Robertson is scoring centuries like a maniac and still Ding is more consistent and successful this season.

Why is that?

You don't need centuries to win tournaments. Ask Mark Williams.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I was just wondering - Robertson is scoring centuries like a maniac and still Ding is more consistent and successful this season.

Why is that?

At the end of the day a ton only wins you one frame though so no matter how many you make you still have to win them matches, and Ding seems to have found the right formula that even when not playing at his best he wins with just pure grit and determination.

Postby Andre147

And for that matter if you asked Robbo if he'd rather have the record tons he's having, (surely he'll surpass 100) or have Ding's dream season what you think Robbo would say?

He would be very stupid if he prefered to have a 100+ tons in a season, tons are good but winning tournaments is all that matters.

Postby Roland

Trumpster wrote:quote="Holden Chinaski"]
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Skullman wrote:Ding only loses finals to left handed players.

Ronnie is one of the best left handed players in the game! :-p[/quote

Better than Mark Williams for sure <laugh>[/quote

Is Ronnie just using his left hand better than peak MJW though?

Ronnie could beat MJW one handed! Lol
http://youtu.be/CJcWJexjBYQ

MJW really is the underachiever of the class of 92. Couldn't b bothered making tonnes, couldn't be bothered practising, wasn't in love with the game, more like a job. And then when he does want to play and win, it's late in his career, far too late, he's lost what he had. He was the best long potter of his time. His potting was frightening. Ok, he won world titles, but he could have had more titles. In terms of talent, he's better than Higgins, but the records don't say that. A bit of a waste of talent. Top player in his day though.

Don't agree with the first part of that post. Williams was a class apart and his exhibition shots once frame was won and not bothering with centuries is what lured people like me into becoming huge fans of his with his laid back attitude. He has underachieved granted, but by all accounts he had other things going on in his life during his barren spell which he's kept private but maybe one day will be revealed, if he ever chooses to open up. Which is unlikely. Anyway, he's probably my favourite player ever. In fact not probably, he IS my favourite ever player to have played the game. Absolute legend!

Postby Roland

TheRocket wrote:I think, Ding vs Fu was the best final. The standard was unbelievable in that match.
Hard to beat that.

That was the best final of the last couple of seasons

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:

Why is that?

At the end of the day a ton only wins you one frame though so no matter how many you make you still have to win them matches, and Ding seems to have found the right formula that even when not playing at his best he wins with just pure grit and determination.

True, I'm sure Ding wouldn't have lost to Williams this week for example. His B and C game improved massively this season.

Postby Skullman

Sonny wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I think, Ding vs Fu was the best final. The standard was unbelievable in that match.
Hard to beat that.

That was the best final of the last couple of seasons

2012 Shanghai?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Sonny wrote:Don't agree with the first part of that post. Williams was a class apart and his exhibition shots once frame was won and not bothering with centuries is what lured people like me into becoming huge fans of his with his laid back attitude. He has underachieved granted, but by all accounts he had other things going on in his life during his barren spell which he's kept private but maybe one day will be revealed, if he ever chooses to open up. Which is unlikely. Anyway, he's probably my favourite player ever. In fact not probably, he IS my favourite ever player to have played the game. Absolute legend!

Do you mean the 2006-2009 period?

Postby Skullman

No, I'm asking if it's better than 2012 Shanghai final (Higgins came back from 7-2 against Judd and had a max if you don't remember which final that was).

Postby Andre147

Apparently when 3-1 up Ronnie was almost docked a frame today <laugh> :

The Rocket, leading 3-1 at the time, had left the media centre to make his way into the arena, asking referee Michaela Tabb to hold his cue while he tucked his shirt in.

But moments later O’Sullivan dashed back into the room saying “I could be docked a frame”, the penalty for not being ready to play, having forgotten his chalk.

Fortunately for him - maybe being a runner helps – he rushed back out to join Hawkins with seconds to spare before the players were ushered out.

But afterwards it led O’Sullivan to raise an incident that is still talked about by players a decade on, when Stephen Maguire was docked a frame for being late against Shaun Murphy.

O’Sullivan said: “I tried to time it going to the toilet and then going out to play, it was time to go and I swear I had my chalk in my pocket but I didn’t.

“As I came in I remembered when Shaun Murphy asked the referee where Stephen Maguire was after forgetting his chalk and he was docked a frame – but Barry is not the type of guy to try and get a frame like that.

“I was okay and it was a genuine mistake, I was cutting it a bit fine.”

http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/8 ... av9uvungkh

I especially like that bolded bit rofl

Murphy <doh> :gag: :wave:
Last edited by Andre147 on 02 Mar 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Roland

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Sonny wrote:Don't agree with the first part of that post. Williams was a class apart and his exhibition shots once frame was won and not bothering with centuries is what lured people like me into becoming huge fans of his with his laid back attitude. He has underachieved granted, but by all accounts he had other things going on in his life during his barren spell which he's kept private but maybe one day will be revealed, if he ever chooses to open up. Which is unlikely. Anyway, he's probably my favourite player ever. In fact not probably, he IS my favourite ever player to have played the game. Absolute legend!

Yes although for me it started in 2003 after the 2nd world win and lasted all the way until he nearly got Ronnie in the Masters semi in 2009 or 10

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:No, I'm asking if it's better than 2012 Shanghai final (Higgins came back from 7-2 against Judd and had a max if you don't remember which final that was).

You don't ask me but I think yes, IC 2013 was better than 2012 Shangai Final. Higgins made a great comeback and played good stuff but the standard of the IC final was just so extremely high. Basicially you can't have a better final standardwise.

Postby Roland

Skullman wrote:No, I'm asking if it's better than 2012 Shanghai final (Higgins came back from 7-2 against Judd and had a max if you don't remember which final that was).

Yes I remember that because I was taking part in a 24 hour snookathon when it happened. Yes it was better, in the Shanghai Judd collapsed in the middle whereas in the International both Ding and Fu were knocking rubbish out of each other all the way to the finish.

Postby Roland

Poor Murphy had something to say about that on Twitter a few weeks back. Give him the benefit of the doubt, Chinese whispers and all that.

Postby TheRocket

Andre, yeah that incident was really strange. And I remember Maguire saying a couple of months later that he can't stand Murphy and Murphy can't stand him. They are surely not the best friends. You can also read it on wikipedia.

Postby Roland

Maguire said he didn't want to be a fat World Champion which is a quote from around the time aimed at Murphy. Since then he's put on weight and has stopped being a real contender. I'm sure he's eating his words now :redneck:

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:

Ronnie vs Higgins matches are justifiably hyped because those two men are classacts. No one of the current crop is ever gonna reach the league of these two players and they gave us super games in the history. Just because the game wasn't good doesn't mean the hype was senseless. Higgins said it perfectly. Ding and Robertson are winning titles but this match is the biggest and he's right.

Higgins v Ronnie matches are or more accurately was class but sport moves on we are in 2014 now not 2004 and Higgins cant cut it and it was never going to be anything other than a Ronnie Rout.

a 5-1 win over Higgins this week meant nothing in Reality beating Ding will mean more to Ronnie than any match hes played for a Hell of a long time.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Sonny wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Yes although for me it started in 2003 after the 2nd world win and lasted all the way until he nearly got Ronnie in the Masters semi in 2009 or 10

I remember that 2010 Masters semi very well. I think if Williams had won that it would have made a huge difference to their numerous following meetings. Both badly wanted to win that match, Mark was so fired up, nearly had him and Ronnie even made a fist pump. That was a big match for both of them.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

Higgins v Ronnie matches are or more accurately was class but sport moves on we are in 2014 now not 2004 and Higgins cant cut it and it was never going to be anything other than a Ronnie Rout.

a 5-1 win over Higgins this week meant nothing in Reality beating Ding will mean more to Ronnie than any match hes played for a Hell of a long time.

I'm sure hammering Mark Selby in the Masters final meant a lot to Ronnie too

Postby rocketronnie147

I got much respect for Ding.....but I think Ronnie is going to roll over him. Honestly not trying to be disrespectful because I think Ding is very good. But I think Ronnie is going to win this and the closest scoreline I can see is 9-6.....

I just can't see Ronnie getting beat in his current form. If he plays like he did vs Hawkins, it could be a pretty gruesome scoreline. I think Hawkins played pretty good (especially early), but then Ronnie started to score heavily and put on a clinic. Ultimately, that seemed to get to Barry and I just wonder who it wouldn't get to?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Sonny wrote:Maguire said he didn't want to be a fat World Champion which is a quote from around the time aimed at Murphy. Since then he's put on weight and has stopped being a real contender. I'm sure he's eating his words now :redneck:

Unfortunately Murphy isn't a real contender neither for a couple of years now.