Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Final Discussion

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:Good point about Trump, and he too made 3 tons against Lawler to win but then when he found 4-2 up never recovered from a loose positional shot and the rest is history, Ding destroyed him with a barrage of great scoring.

However Ronnie is no Trump, has the best control of cue ball ever seen and certainly won't crumble like Trump did for one or 2 bad shot.

No disrespect to Rod Lawler but Ronnie today played the World No. 4 not a 40 year old journeyman.

Yes Ronnie deserves more credit that's for sure but Judd still had to pot them to make those 3 tons, it's not like they were handed to him on a plate, but yeah I see your point it's way diferent having those 3 tons against a top player like Hawkins when compared to... humm... Lawler <laugh> :wave:

Postby TheRocket

I think, we rarely had a final over the past years where both players were so equal in their current form. Definitely the two best players atm. Scoring deparment/breakbuilding basicially equal and cue ball control also. Both can play very good safeties too. Ding probably better in the long potting deparment though which can be key.

But as always, form of the day decide. Maybe it's gonna be a rubbish final with one player playing rubbish.
Or a very one sided one with Ronnie running away. Who knows

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:I think, we rarely had a final over the past years where both players were so equal in their current form. Definitely the two best players atm. Scoring deparment/breakbuilding basicially equal and cue ball control also. Both can play very good safeties too. Ding probably better in the long potting deparment though which can be key.

But as always, form of the day decide. Maybe it's gonna be a rubbish final with one player playing rubbish.
Or a very one sided one with Ronnie running away. Who knows

Yes you're right, sometimes overly hyped matches can turn out to be a one sided match or low on quality, but tomorrow the quality certainly won't be low that's for sure, and for that matter I don't think Ronnie can run away with it and win it easily destroying Ding, he's much much tougher mentally nowadays and plays even better when facing adversity, so this has all the ingredients to be an absolute cracking and classic final to be remembered for years to come.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ronnie played in 3 Welsh Open finals in his career. All of them went into a decider...

You ain't Skull in disguise are you..? <laugh> Patterns :|

But you're right, wouldn't mind another decider as long as Ronnie won it.

Postby TheRocket

But if there's a destruction, it will be definitely Ronnie who's gonna do it. He's the steamroller, Ding still isn't up there with Ronnie regarding this. I still think, there is a possibility for that but Ronnie really needs to be at his very best. But realistically I think, the loser is gonna have at least 6 frames tomorrow.
Last edited by TheRocket on 01 Mar 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:But if there's a ran away, it will be definitely Ronnie who's gonna do it. He's the steamroller, Ding still isn't up there with Ronnie regarding this. I still think, there is a possibility for that but Ronnie really needs to be at his very best. But realistically I think, the loser is gonna have at least 6 frames tomorrow.

The least frames I can see a player winning tomorrow is 5, but for me it will end 9-7 or 9-8 either way.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Ronnie O'Sullivan wrote:“I scored well, and though he had chances I felt like I would do some damage when I got in. I felt like I wanted to open up a bit tonight and impose myself.

“The break in frame six was all right, the yellow was safe, a red safe, and others tricky. From the first ball I decided I was either going to clear up or lose the frame, I was happy with it.

“I went out there to win and play some good snooker, I decided a few years ago I wanted to play a certain way and be more aggressive and attacking a lot more. It’s not reckless, because I fancy getting them.

“Playing Ding is a fantastic chance to see where I am against the best player on form. He is the in-form player and will equal Stephen Hendry’s record if he wins of five ranking events in a season. People talk about records, but that is one worth having.

I am trying to leave a legacy, and that is how I used to play when I was younger. I would have won more if I had found this form a few years ago, but better late than never.

http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2 ... nt-display

I especially like that last bit :-)

Me too!

Postby Andre147

Better late than never, absolutely couldn't agree more Ronnie. :-D

What's in the past is past and no one can change it now, what matters now is how many more titles can he win with this approach to the game before he definately puts the cue to rest.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Just a month ago we had Selby vs Ronnie in the Masters final and now we have Ding vs Ronnie in a ranking final.

The big matches are coming thick and fast these days...

Ding v Trump a great final too, as was Robbo v Selby, Ronnie v Bingo and Ding v Fu, those for me were definately the standout finals so far.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:I think, Ding vs Fu was the best final. The standard was unbelievable in that match.
Hard to beat that.

Yeah by far best final of the season and very hard to top as you say.

It had everything, just wish it ended on final black but that would be asking too much <laugh>

Postby Holden Chinaski

TheRocket wrote:I think, Ding vs Fu was the best final. The standard was unbelievable in that match.
Hard to beat that.

Ronnie vs Selby in the masters was my favorite, :-)

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:And we had Ding v Trump in Berlin, and Robbo v Selby in York.

Hopefully a good sign for the rest of the season.

World final: Robert Milkins vs Mark Davis :wave:

:roll: That's just silly. We all know it'll be Mike Dunn v Barry Pinches.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:It's sad at the same time because he's still underachieved with 5 World titles and 25 rankers but that's indeed history now. He can't change it anymore.

I'm not sad, not even the slightest. Ronnie was finished 3 years ago. Just look at him now, how can you possibly be sad?

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:And we had Ding v Trump in Berlin, and Robbo v Selby in York.

Hopefully a good sign for the rest of the season.

World final: Robert Milkins vs Mark Davis :wave:

Yeah imagine that, the tournament when supposely the best players should be in the final comes up with 2 players no one would ever dream of reaching the final <laugh>

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Hard to beat that.

Just because he beat Selby I feel :-D

But really the best final standard and drama wise was by far the IC one.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Hard to beat that.

Just because he beat Selby I feel :-D

But really the best final standard and drama wise was by far the IC one.

Yes youre right of course.
I hope tomorrows final will be even better.
Last edited by Holden Chinaski on 02 Mar 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TheRocket

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:It's sad at the same time because he's still underachieved with 5 World titles and 25 rankers but that's indeed history now. He can't change it anymore.

I'm not sad, not even the slightest. Ronnie was finished 3 years ago. Just look at him now, how can you possibly be sad?

Sad if I remember matches like against Peter Ebdon at the WC 2005 when he totally lost the plot and other matches like that. He could have won more titles if he had the same focus and will of today. I'm not saying he hadn't in the past but the Ronnie of today is mentally a totally different person than he was 9 or 10 years ago.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Yeah agree, I was sad 3 years ago no doubt but just look at what he's done since then... I think his main point is he wished Ronnie had done this earlier so that he had more titles but what's in the past stays there as I said and really I couldn't be happier with what Ronnie has done, defying his age even and playing to a level probably his best ever, even though Ronnie doesn't admit it.

He's the complete player now, started this approach since he won those 2004 Worlds with the help of Reardon and 10 years on he's still able to play to this amazing level.
Last edited by Andre147 on 02 Mar 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

The Ronnie v Higgins match was over-hyped to the extreme by Fans and Pundits alike But The Final is justifiably Hyped big time because Between them they have won with this one 8 Titles in 6 months this season.