Topic locked

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Semi Finals Discussion !!

Postby Cannonball

I think Ronnie has just played his best snooker; he's peaked one match too early. I think Ding will have him tomorrow. Don't know why, cuz I'm a big fan of Ronnie, but I think Ding will win.

Postby TheRocket

Trumpster wrote:I think Ronnie has just played his best snooker; he's peaked one match too early. I think Ding will have him tomorrow. Don't know why, cuz I'm a big fan of Ronnie, but I think Ding will win.

I have the same fear lol because 2008 was similar. Ronnie peaked in the semi final, totally destroying Murphy. He played a very similar standard like today and made three centuries back then. And we know how the final ended. Very tragic. Ding is very dangerous because he is so consistent. And the thing is. Ronnie made two brillant steals today, yes but that was because Hawkins only made 50 or 60 out of his two chances.

Difference probably will be that Ding is making 80+ out of it.

Postby Andy Spark

Always a treat to see Ronnie play his A game like tonight. :-D Can't always do it and to be honest if I was Ding I'd be just hoping that Ronnie plays his B or C game in the final, because brilliant player Ding maybe but, as snooker stands in 2014 I don't believe there is anybody that can beat Ronnie's A game in long format.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:
Trumpster wrote:I think Ronnie has just played his best snooker; he's peaked one match too early. I think Ding will have him tomorrow. Don't know why, cuz I'm a big fan of Ronnie, but I think Ding will win.

I have the same fear lol because 2008 was similar. Ronnie peaked in the semi final, totally destroying Murphy. He played a very similar standard like today and made three centuries back then. And we know how the final ended. Very tragic. Ding is very dangerous because he is so consistent. And the thing is. Ronnie made two brillant steals today, yes but that was because Hawkins only made 50 or 60 out of his two chances.

Ronnie won the Worlds that year, so Ding can have this one if it means Ronnie will take the Worlds once again :-D

Postby Skullman

TheRocket wrote:I have the same fear lol because 2008 was similar. Ronnie peaked in the semi final, totally destroying Murphy. He played a very similar standard like today and made three centuries back then. And we know how the final ended. Very tragic. Ding is very dangerous because he is so consistent. And the thing is. Ronnie made two brillant steals today, yes but that was because Hawkins only made 50 or 60 out of his two chances.

What was tragic about 2008?

Postby TheRocket

What I definitely know is that every match is different. We all remember, Ronnie played superb stuff in the semis against Robertson (CoC) and the final was a very weak standard against Bingham with Ronnie just having passed the line.

Therefore I'm not gonna hype this semifinal. It was perfect snooker, a brillant display but at the end it's only one match.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I have the same fear lol because 2008 was similar. Ronnie peaked in the semi final, totally destroying Murphy. He played a very similar standard like today and made three centuries back then. And we know how the final ended. Very tragic. Ding is very dangerous because he is so consistent. And the thing is. Ronnie made two brillant steals today, yes but that was because Hawkins only made 50 or 60 out of his two chances.

rofl rofl rofl rofl for you it isn't of course.

Selby cameback and won the match, what a surprise, doing the same at the Masters 2 years later.

But Ronnie got revenge this year :-D

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:

You're cruel. :-( For me it was, seeing how Ronnie lost after being 8:5 ahead.

Postby Skullman

Andre147 PGC wrote: rofl rofl rofl rofl for you it isn't of course.

Selby cameback and won the match, what a surprise, doing the same at the Masters 2 years later.

This year was revenge was for 2010 wasn't it?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:

Ronnie lost a 8-5 lead against Selby. But unlike in the 2010 Masters where Selby played flawless to comeback, Ronnie had plenty of chances and threw the match away.

Postby Cannonball

TheRocket wrote:

In a strange way, I'm not too worried (for the first time in a decade) if Ronnie loses. The upside is that snooker will have someone who can fill his shoes eventually and be the main man, not that Ronnie is gonna be finished for at least another 5 years hopefully, but you know what I mean. The other players are only pretenders at the moment really; Selby, Judd etc. Maybe Ding is the real deal. We'll find out tomorrow, because Ronnie is the real test for him. Let's see how mentally tough Ding has become and if he's like diamond now, not just titanium.

Postby Andy Spark

TheRocket wrote:

Hawkins was great today, in my honest opinion better than Ding today, I don't think Ding will have a lot more than Hawkins gave tonight in the final. Just a question of how well Ronnie can keep on a roll with his standard.

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote: rofl rofl rofl rofl for you it isn't of course.

This year was revenge was for 2010 wasn't it?

Probably yes.And I would say 2009 masters was revenge for 2008 Welsh and so on, so Ronnie surely has got his revenge overall.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:What I definitely know is that every match is different. We all remember, Ronnie played superb stuff in the semis against Robertson (CoC) and the final was a very weak standard against Bingham with Ronnie just having passed the line.

Therefore I'm not gonna hype this semifinal. It was perfect snooker, a brillant display but at the end it's only one match.

Absolutely TR, couldn't agree more, some clueless Ronnie fans will think after this performance "Oh Ronnie is gonna destroy Ding" rofl <doh> rofl

He won't destroy Ding and he will have to be on top of his game to beat him because Ding is so much more mentally strong and for instance this season Ronnie just barely won against him at the CoC in a low quality match especially after the MSI.

It should be a cracking final no doubt, but make no mistake some of you it's gonna be close and tense and both of them will have to play well if they are to win the whole thing.

Postby Skullman

Trumpster wrote:Let's see how mentally tough Ding has become and if he's like diamond now, not just titanium.

For the record, diamonds are hard but very brittle. Not the best metaphor.

Postby TheRocket

Andy Spark wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

Hawkins was great today, in my honest opinion better than Ding today, I don't think Ding will have a lot more than Hawkins gave tonight in the final. Just a question of how well Ronnie can keep on a roll with his standard.

The thing is. Ding is clearly the better breakbuilder than Hawkins and if he gets a good chance he is gonna win the frame from it. Hawkins on the other hand had the chance in the second frame but played a rubbish positional shot and since then everything changed. You know, these things are the little differences at the end.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ronnie lost a 8-5 lead against Selby. But unlike in the 2010 Masters where Selby played flawless to comeback, Ronnie had plenty of chances and threw the match away.

I was joking. I'm aware of 2008 Welsh Open final.

Postby Andre147

But those 2 clearances today from Ronnie were just out of this world,that's what Higgins for instance used to do in that 2009-2011 period.

And that yeallow at the end <laugh> :happy:

He should play Barry more often, Ronnie seems to make tons everytime he faces him.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ronnie lost a 8-5 lead against Selby. But unlike in the 2010 Masters where Selby played flawless to comeback, Ronnie had plenty of chances and threw the match away.

I was joking. I'm aware of 2008 Welsh Open final.

I guess you watched that whole match on youtube, am I right?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:But those 2 clearances today from Ronnie were just out of this world,that's what Higgins for instance used to do in that 2009-2011 period.

And that yeallow at the end <laugh> :happy:

He should play Barry more often, Ronnie seems to make tons everytime he faces him.

You watched it on Eurosport right? I just loved how one of the commentators went completely bonkers seeing that go in rofl