Topic locked

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Last 16 Discussion !!

Postby Sickpotter

Blavdes wrote:Must be horrible for Ronnie 'dislikers' to hear the commentators jizz over him as he demolishes opponents.

edit: the filters on here smh

You don't have to be a "disliker" to get annoyed with fawning coverage....bothers me when they do it for any player....kinda like when they suggest a max after the first red is made ;-)

Postby Skullman

Ronnie through 4-1.

What are the odds his opening statement in the studio'll be 'I'd like to congratulate Ricky on a great tournament and a great season' etc etc.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Ronnie through 4-1.

What are the odds his opening statement in the studio'll be 'I'd like to congratulate Ricky on a great tournament and a great season' etc etc.

His post-match line for the past 2 years <laugh>

Postby TheRocket

I watched that match, was good stuff but Ronnie still is a couple of inches away from his Masters form. Trump and Higgins could be dangerous for him, Higgins because of the mental scars of the last 4-5 years. You know, it wouldn't surprise me if Ronnie's level suddenly drops when he's playing Higgins. :roll:
The last time he played his best game against Higgins was at the 2005 Masters.

And Trump could be even more dangerous if he's takin his chances and producing one visit stuff. Ronnie still favourite for me in both matches but it will be harder for the Rocket than the last matches. That's for sure.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:I watched that match, was good stuff but Ronnie still is a couple of inches away from his Masters form. Trump and Higgins could be dangerous for him, Higgins because of the mental scars of the last 4-5 years. You know, it wouldn't surprise me if Ronnie's level suddenly drops when he's playing Higgins. :roll:
The last time he played his best game against Higgins was at the 2005 Masters.

And Trump could be even more dangerous if he's takin his chances and producing one visit stuff. Ronnie still favourite for me in both matches but it will be harder for the Rocket than the last matches. That's for sure.

I will definately prefer a Higgins v Ronnie match, but I agree with you, he hasn't played that well against him for almost 10 years and that's strange to say the least, he has a mental block against Higgins especially when he gets close to the winning line and that's why I want them both to meet and Ronnie beating him of course.

If it's Trump it'll be a repeat of their meeting in the quarters here in 2012, Ronnie won that 5-3 and it was a very good match

Postby Andre147

But now the tie of the round:

Higgins v Trump :-D

Trump for some reason isn't confortable when playing Higgins, and although Higgins has shown signs of coming back to form, I think Trump will win this match 4-3.

Mind you, I'll be rooting for Higgins.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:If it's Trump it'll be a repeat of their meeting in the quarters here in 2012, Ronnie won that 5-3 and it was a very good match

At the moment Ronnie will be a clear favourite (unlike 2 years ago) against Trump. Since Judd stopped being so aggressive, he became less dangerous. Ronnie's game is superior to Trump's in every department except long potting.
Last edited by Snooker Overdrive on 27 Feb 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Skullman

Andre147 PGC wrote:What did Ronnie say in the studio apart from the usual first line?

Talked about running. Said he's not entering many foreign tournaments anymore, not his thing. Was complimentary about Ding and Judd. Said he was glad Robbo was out, made things easier for him.

Postby Skullman

Will be interesting to see how Judd plays today.

There might be some mental scars as Higgins is the only player to have faced Judd at his very best and still win.

Postby Sickpotter

TheRocket wrote:I watched that match, was good stuff but Ronnie still is a couple of inches away from his Masters form.

You're doomed to disappointment if you expect ROS to produce that kind of snooker every time ;-)

IMO the form he showed during the Masters is an example of exceptional form and unlikely to repeat with any great frequency.

Good showing from Ronnie, certain to be a favourite but Higgins/Trump both capable (IMO Higgins more so) of doing a number on him. IMO the winner of the ROS - HIggins/Trump takes the title.

Postby Andy Spark

Well done Rocket, :-D he seems to be making a habit of comfortable wins lately. Ominous for the World title. With Robertson, Ding, Ronnie and possibly Trump it's looking like being a relatively closed World Championship.