Topic locked

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Last 16 Discussion !!

Postby Wildey

Thursday 27th February

10:30am

Allister Carter 1-4 Mark Selby
Stuart Bingham 3-4 Joe Perry

NB 1pm

Stephen Maguire v Joel Walker
Ricky Walden v Ronnie O'Sullivan TV

NB 2pm

Scott Donaldson v Ding Junhui
Judd Trump v John Higgins TV

NB 7:00pm

Mark Williams v Marco Fu TV
Liang Wenbo v Barry Hawkins

Postby Skullman

Wanted Bingo to win, so Mark could get payback for the CoC.

Still, could be a good match between Selby and Perry. Perry beat him 4-0 here last year, although Mark played extremely crap, with a high break of 9 in that match... wish I didn't remember that.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:hendry-fan forgot to ask you something the other day, this hasn't much to do with this topic but wanted to ask you:

Were you always a Hendry fan when he started dominating the game at the beggining of the 90s? I ask this because sometimes fans of legends of the game were not always fans of them because I know for instance a lot weren't fans of Steve Davis when he was dominating the game, there is sometimes that feeling that if a player starts dominating the sport like Davis or Hendry did in some fans "view" it becomes dull and boring and they want to see more variety. Only when their past their peak do some fans realise the greatness of the things they achieve, so having said all this were you always a Hendry fan or a bit later in his career?

i know that question wasent for me but in early 90s i was a Jimmy White fan and wanted him to win the 1990 and 1992 final against Hendry but the way Hendry came back in 1992 to beat Jimmy that's when i became a Stephen Hendry fan.

he was a awesome player.

I always disliked Hendry, right from the beginning.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

hendry_fan wrote:Stephen Maguire v Joel Walker

Judd Trump v John Higgins

Wow,3 Scots still in it.I used to quite like Ding but since he,s got a chance to equal Hendrys record of winnin 5 titles in a season,i obviously want the shrimp to lose. :-D

Would be crackin :cracker: if auld John could beat Trump today,it,s high time that he pulled out some wizardy again.

Walker has had a brilliant run by his standards but i,m sure Maguire will end it.

That's a record that will be broken soon enough anyway with all the tourneys in a season.

Postby Andre147

rocketronnie147 wrote:That Trump-Higgins match may be a really good one. Looking forward to Hawkins and Wenbo too.....I think Fu is going to take down Williams.

Hawkins v Wenbo not on TV though.

Postby Wildey

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:Stephen Maguire v Joel Walker

Judd Trump v John Higgins

Wow,3 Scots still in it.I used to quite like Ding but since he,s got a chance to equal Hendrys record of winnin 5 titles in a season,i obviously want the shrimp to lose. :-D

Would be crackin :cracker: if auld John could beat Trump today,it,s high time that he pulled out some wizardy again.

Walker has had a brilliant run by his standards but i,m sure Maguire will end it.

That's a record that will be broken soon enough anyway with all the tourneys in a season.

Winning 5 main rankers in a season wont be easy even with a lot of tournaments.

This season Ronnie has played in 3 this is his 4th and so far not won any of them.

Ding winning 4 should not be underestimated.

Postby hendry_fan

Andre147 PGC wrote:hendry-fan forgot to ask you something the other day, this hasn't much to do with this topic but wanted to ask you:

Were you always a Hendry fan when he started dominating the game at the beggining of the 90s? I ask this because sometimes fans of legends of the game were not always fans of them because I know for instance a lot weren't fans of Steve Davis when he was dominating the game, there is sometimes that feeling that if a player starts dominating the sport like Davis or Hendry did in some fans "view" it becomes dull and boring and they want to see more variety. Only when their past their peak do some fans realise the greatness of the things they achieve, so having said all this were you always a Hendry fan or a bit later in his career?

"hendry fan" has been a Hendry fan shortly after Hendry came onto the scene,i myself started watchin and playing snooker around,i can,t remember exactly but it was around 1983/85,somewhere around then.

The main reason i started to follow him was because he,s Scottish and cause i,d never seen the likes of him,his style of play,the will to win,his determination,grit,mental strength,potting ability,long potting,being able to pot balls all over the shop,potting balls with the white tight on the cushion,breakbuilding,produce amazing snooker under pressure,the amount of times he managed to clear up in 1 or 2 visits,pinch frames from being 50/60 odd behind,etc,etc,etccc was just out of this world and to keep it up for so long really is incredible,no wonder he ran out of steam after all he delivered all of those years.

Some say his safety play was weak,well sure,it was weak compared to all the other aspects of his game but in his winning years he could still play good,decent safety,tactical stuff,the main reason he was,nt great at it was mainly because he did,nt like playing that kind of snooker,he was always an attacker.

I never ever got bored of him winning,breaking records,the dumpling actualy cost me a lot of £ money,boy,the amount of times i celebrated. <laugh>

When he won the worlds in 1999,the tough man i am,i had a real good cry,it was like he was a part of my family cause i had supported,watched him all those years and like a true fan should be,i stuck to him when he was having not so good times.

Two of the most heart breaking moments was when he lost the 2002 Worlds 18-17 to Ebdon and when he lost the Masters in 1998,10-9 on that final respotted black against Williams. :-( :mood:

Postby Skullman

Is it me or does Ronnie more like Selby these days? :chin:

Doesn't really take any risks and relies on safety to get in more often. Just has better positional play so breaks down less.

Postby rocketronnie147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:Ronnie will have to be on his game I think, don't think he'll whitewash Walden again and this format will suit Ricky.

I think all players prefer playing Ronnie over a short format

Lol, that's a no brainer!! Long match facing Ronnie with his new mental outlook? Not good for his opponents!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Skullman wrote:Is it me or does Ronnie more like Selby these days? :chin:

Doesn't really take any risks and relies on safety to get in more often. Just has better positional play so breaks down less.

It's just you. Ronnie plays nothing like Selby.

Postby Skullman

Holden Chinaski wrote:It's just you. Ronnie plays nothing like Selby.

Just saying, when he's faced with a tough pot or a safety he goes for the safety more often than not these days.

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Skullman wrote:Is it me or does Ronnie more like Selby these days? :chin:

It's just you. Ronnie plays nothing like Selby.

He takes more risks than Selby, but yeah Skull the Ronnie of recent times usually doesn't take any unecessary risks.

Postby Lucky

Skullman wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:It's just you. Ronnie plays nothing like Selby.

Just saying, when he's faced with a tough pot or a safety he goes for the safety more often than not these days.

Don't think playing the right shot makes you resemble another player. Just a better one.