Post a reply

BetVictor Sponsors Welsh Open for the second year.

Postby Wildey

World Snooker is delighted to announce that BetVictor has renewed its title sponsorship of the Welsh Open world ranking event.

The tournament is four days longer than usual and fans will have the chance to see many more players in action, with a multi-table layout at the Newport Centre in the early stages.

Total prize money has increased from £250,000 to £300,000, with the winner to receive £60,000 instead of £50,000. Last year's final was a gripping battle as Maguire edged out Stuart Bingham 9-8 in a dramatic deciding frame.

World Snooker Chairman Barry Hearn said: "BetVictor sponsored the Welsh Open for the first time in 2013 and we are thrilled to welcome them back. They are clearly very pleased with the worldwide exposure that snooker can provide.

"We have a brand new format for the event this season, which puts all the players on a level playing field. The same format was used at the recent UK Championship and it produced some fascinating stories. I can't wait to see how it pans out in Newport and we look forward to working with the BetVictor team."

Click here for More

Re: BetVictor Sponsors Welsh Open for the second year.

Postby Cannonball

Odds at the moment:

Ronnie OSullivan 4/1
Neil Robertson 15/2
Ding Junhui 8/1
Mark Selby 9/1
Judd Trump 10/1

Anyone else think the odds for Ronnie at 4-1 and particularly Ding at 8/1, look generous?

Postby SnookerFan

Trumpster wrote:Odds at the moment:

Ronnie OSullivan 4/1
Neil Robertson 15/2
Ding Junhui 8/1
Mark Selby 9/1
Judd Trump 10/1

Anyone else think the odds for Ronnie at 4-1 and particularly Ding at 8/1, look generous?

They're certainly the two favourites for the tournament.

I've got a feeling Ding will take the Welsh Open, and Ronnie will take The Crucible. But with my track record of predictions, I wouldn't put money on it. <laugh>

Postby Cloud Strife

Trumpster wrote:Odds at the moment:

Ronnie OSullivan 4/1
Neil Robertson 15/2
Ding Junhui 8/1
Mark Selby 9/1
Judd Trump 10/1

It would not surprise me at all to see Ronnie walk away with the trophy here. The best of sevens make it abit of a lottery, though, so I wouldn't be rushing out to back Ronnie at 4-1.

Postby edwards2000

Yeah a best of 7 makes it a lotto, and any player that gets a good start will probably win. Surely this could be made into a best of 9 again. It's a ranking event. Ronnie's chances also depend on the draw. We don't know the draw yet? I doubt I will be tuning in anyway, until the final. Can't be doing with little piddle events like this one.

Judd Trump at 10/1 is well worth a few quid.

Postby Cannonball

I think Ronnie has entered because he's a home bird, doesn't like travelling too far, though going to Wales is like travelling back in time a hundred years.....

How many tables are there at the Welsh Open, 1? Is this part of the reason Hearn is looking for a bigger venue next year, to squeeze in more tables, frames and fans? The event certainly needs upgrading. I'm sure that the old duffers on the Beeb will say, you know, the venue has so many wonderful memories. Yep, take your memories home with you grandad. The Crucible needs to go as well, and the Worlds should be in Asia half the time, half the time in England. Crucible is too small and the same people are guaranteed the best seats every year, every final. That can't be fair.

Postby SnookerFan

I had a great time one year going to the early rounds of the Welsh Open. It was best of nines, and you could sit where you liked. I stayed on the same table and saw three best of nine matches during the day. The next year when I went it was best of 7, and somehow didn't feel the same.

Don't really matter. It's so dirt cheap you can go to later stages for comparitively little. Though, obviously, the ability to choose or you see is lessened.

Postby Cannonball

SnookerFan wrote:I had a great time one year going to the early rounds of the Welsh Open. It was best of nines, and you could sit where you liked. I stayed on the same table and saw three best of nine matches during the day. The next year when I went it was best of 7, and somehow didn't feel the same.

Don't really matter. It's so dirt cheap you can go to later stages for comparitively little. Though, obviously, the ability to choose or you see is lessened.

How much are tickets this year mate? The match one sees, is that a bit of a lottery, or does one buy a ticket for a particular match/players? Cheers.

Postby SnookerFan

Trumpster wrote:How much are tickets this year mate? The match one sees, is that a bit of a lottery, or does one buy a ticket for a particular match/players? Cheers.

What? The first round? Not sure, I got latter stages.

I got tickets for all day the last Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Which will include the final, and the semis. (And I'm assuming at least some of the quarter-finals, depending on what the format is this year.) In total I spent £100.54 And that includes booking fees and poastal charges.

I'd guess at not much more for a tenner for first round matches. But they're are bound to be tickets still available, so have a look on the World Snooker website.

To answer your second question, it's not a lottery as you can sit anywhere you like in the early rounds. (Only the semis and the final are numbered seating.) As there are several matches going on at a time, you can watch whatever match you want. You can even switch matches halfway through, should you wish.

Postby Wildey

Muppet147 wrote:A bit of a Mickey Mouse event that would only really interest a few dimwits like Wild from Wales. I'm surprised that Ronnie has entered it.

go on keep goading

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:The King of the Tinpot events this one.

Thanks god Newport (the Telford of the Valleys) days of hosting this are numbered.

it was a better venue than telford and that doesent say a lot. BUT hope to god this event wont return to the CIA now that was really rubbish.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:it was a better venue than telford and that doesent say a lot. BUT hope to god this event wont return to the CIA now that was really rubbish.

How far are you from Newport, Wild?

Have you ever considered going?

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:it was a better venue than telford and that doesent say a lot. BUT hope to god this event wont return to the CIA now that was really rubbish.

been to Newport 3 or 4 times and ive been to the CIA 2 times and Newport was much better venue than Cardiff from a fans perspective.
How far are you from Newport, Wild?

Have you ever considered going?

Postby SnookerFan

Good use of the edit. <laugh>

I've never been to Cardiff for snooker, but strangely went to watch boxing once.

Was the CIA really that bad? I'll keep that in mind in case it goes back there next year.

I don't mind the Newport Centre. The town isn't up to much, but it's a bit of a novelty that you can watch snooker and get a couple of pints in at the same place there are people swimming. rofl And there does seem to be a bit of an informal vibe about the place.