Post a reply

Re: German Masters Final Discussion !!

Postby Andre147

Odrl wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Unlike last season, this season only 3 players won the big events so far.

Robertson: UK and Wuxi
Ding: Shanghai, IC, Indian
Ronnie: CoC, Masters

I would like Trump to join the winner list, it's better for the game if more top players pick up trophies.

There was Fu in the Australian Open as well.

This is the 7th "standard" ranking event of the season, and still no British player has won one, so Ding could prolong that run tonight. :-)

Hope he does, no other player has won 4 rankers in a season other than a certain Mr Hendry of course in the 1990/1991 season when he won the Grand Prix, Asian Open, Dubai Classic, UK Champs and British Open. That's actually 5 rankers, and most impressive of all he won them consecutively :hatoff:

Not even the greats like Ronnie, Higgins and Williams won 4 rankers in a season, nevermind 5, so Ding definately has a major goal to aim for.

Postby Wildey

These deep screw back shots Judd plays looks attacking and spectacular but they are so negative hes not backing his ability to pot a ball.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:These deep screw back shots Judd plays looks attacking and spectacular but they are so negative hes not backing his ability to pot a ball.

Whereas Hendry played them confidently and most of them went in :hatoff:

And you're right, it's a bit negative, he's thinking if he misses at least he won't leave much on with the cue ball close to the baulk cushion instead of thinking if he pots a long one has a good chance of a frame winning break.

That's sometimes the diference between the very good and the greats of the game.

Postby Wildey

Ronnie plays for black ball position if they on so does Ding but Judd has this self doubt that means hes not confident in potting them so screw back to balk.

Hes the most accurate long potter ive ever seen so if he plays the shot for black ball or blue to middle or balk bocket he will pot a hell of a lot more.

Postby Skullman

4-4. Perfect, means that it'll build nicely in the evening session.

I may have accidentally forgotten to record the first session, so how did it go?

Postby Blavdes

The term 'playing the percentages' is very apt for this discussion. Selby says at the table he considers the merits of playing one shot against another, to put that into math terms he's considering which one is most +EV.

One of Judd's main strengths is his long potting, it's safe to say when he takes on a long pot it is +EV not only in his chance to pot but also for overall game dynamics as it will put a huge amount of pressure on his opponents as they know Judd will take on the shots and mostly pot them. Like you guys say the greats become the greats because they take on the shots, put the pressure on to win the titles.

Worth saying that Judd really should know this or should be getting told this. Ronnie says a few times in his book the reason Judd's gone backwards is he's not going for the shots aggressive enough these days.
Last edited by Blavdes on 02 Feb 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Unlike last season, this season only 3 players won the big events so far.

Robertson: UK and Wuxi
Ding: Shanghai, IC, Indian
Ronnie: CoC, Masters

I would like Trump to join the winner list, it's better for the game if more top players pick up trophies.

Fu and Australia? You can't say that it's more minor than Wuxi or the Indian Open.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:4-4. Perfect, means that it'll build nicely in the evening session.

I may have accidentally forgotten to record the first session, so how did it go?

They both started superbly. First frame Judd made an 80 break after opening with a good plant. 2nd Ding made 87 after a loose safety from judd.

In the 3rd and 4th frames both had chances, but Judd always started better and Ding mishit some og his safeties.

After the MSI, frame 5 saw Ding win it in 2 visits, with a 76 break. Frame 6 Ding then started to miss a few after it looked he would level at 3 all and found himself 4-2 down.

Then in frame 7 I think may prove to be a huge turning point because Judd first got in and looked like winning in one visit, but then lost position after a loose shot and after Ding made a 41 break Judd had another chance but missed a red with the rest twice and Ding won the frame from it.

In the final frame of the session, Ding made a superb 81 break after opening with a cracking plant to top left pocket that wasn't dead on.

Judd will be a bit disappointed not be at least 5-3 up, but nevermind 4 all is nicely poised like you say.

Postby Blavdes

Andre147 PGC wrote:Sory Blavdes but what does +EV mean? <laugh> :shrug:

Sorry <ok> It stands for Expected Value. Basically you want to always make the best decision possible - that would be the one with the highest 'EV'.

In my opinion it's infinitely higher EV for Judd to go for the long pots and play for black then screw back into baulk. He'll pot the long reds most often and make a frame winning break so putting a ton of pressure on his opponents just like the guys who consistently win the titles have been doing for many years. Hendry essentially played the most +EV game of anyone, he knew his strength and so did it brutally and consistently for many years.

Edit: So to put it into a snooker context: Let's say every time Judd attempts to pot a long red (let's say his success rate is 75% so it's +EV) , if he succeeds and plays for the black he'll win 8/10 frames. If he succeeds and screws back to baulk he'll win 6/10 frames. So the best decision is to play for the black.

Postby Andre147

Blavdes wrote:I think Ding will win it.

I'm hoping he does, but I expect nothing less than a 9-7 or 9-8 either way.

CMON DING :-D

Postby Skullman

SnookerFan wrote:A while.

Too long, some may say.

Actually just realised it was only last October, Ding v Adi in the Indian Open final.

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:A while.

Too long, some may say.

Actually just realised it was only last October, Ding v Adi in the Indian Open final.

I keep forgetting about that tournament. rofl

Postby Skullman

annoying enough the BBC show Judd's family, but ES now :roll:

Hopefully they won't be as bad though. At least Taylor's not here to ramble on about golf.