Topic locked

Re: German Masters Last 64 Discussion !!

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Doesn't help that the only sponsors we can get are betting companies, and I've heard they're not looked favourably upon on the continent.

last year the sponsor was betfair who seemed to sponsor everything.

Postby Skullman

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure their logo had to be blurred out of a few events last year due to local laws. I'm guessing Betfair aren't that willing to put money into an event and then not getting anything out of it.

Postby Wildey

Blavdes wrote:It's pretty strange to me that sponsors aren't lining up especially with the potentially big chinese viewing figures.

the Money not there to splash out on every Sport.

Hand Ball is pretty big on the continent then there's Football, Tennis, Golf etc.

Postby Wildey

Allister Carter 1-0 Dechawat Poomjaeng
Jimmy White 1-1 Xiao Guodong
Ratchayothin Yotharuck 1-1 Jamie Burnett
Aditya Mehta 2-0 Joel Walker
Ryan Day w/o Cao Xin Long
Li Hang 2-1 Barry Hawkins
Marcus Campbell 1-0 Rod Lawler
Paul S Davison 1-0 Marco Fu

Postby Blavdes

Wildey wrote:
Blavdes wrote:It's pretty strange to me that sponsors aren't lining up especially with the potentially big chinese viewing figures.

Hand Ball is pretty big on the continent then there's Football, Tennis, Golf etc.

Good point. I wonder how long it'll be before Chinese companies are sponsoring events, it must be in the pipeline unless that's not allowed by UK law idk.

Postby Skullman

Poomjaeng fouled a red with his cue whilst trying to a pot a red hampered by the pack. No one noticed int he arena but the ES team caught it.

Postby Wildey

Allister Carter 3-1 Dechawat Poomjaeng
Jimmy White 1-5 Xiao Guodong
Ratchayothin Yotharuck 1-3 Jamie Burnett
Aditya Mehta 3-0 Joel Walker
Li Hang 2-2 Barry Hawkins
Marcus Campbell 1-2 Rod Lawler
Paul S Davison 2-1 Marco Fu

Last week in Snooker Legends Jimmy White was impressive in beating Steve Davis 7-1 but it just highlights how different and a Step up playing Main tour is as Xiao Guodong hammers him 5-1 after Jimmy won the opening frame, Xiao Guodong finished off the match with a century.

Postby Wildey

Marco Fu one of the in form players of the season trailing Paul Davison 3-1

Postby Wildey

Allister Carter 4-2 Dechawat Poomjaeng
Ratchayothin Yotharuck 2-3 Jamie Burnett
Aditya Mehta 3-2 Joel Walker
Li Hang 3-4 Barry Hawkins
Marcus Campbell 1-3 Rod Lawler
Paul S Davison 3-2 Marco Fu

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:

The issue is there are currently no decent German players on the tour. If there were I think you'd start seeing money being invested into the sport by German companies. I don't know what participation levels from grassroots upwards are like in Germany, but I'm sure that has something to do with it as well.

Doesn't matter what the audience figures are, companies are not going to put money into a sport that is exclusively played by foreigners (at the top level at least).

Look at China for a good example of this. Snooker has been popular there for a long time, but it was only after the emergence of Ding Junhui that the events and money started to flood into snooker.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:

The issue is there are currently no decent German players on the tour. If there were I think you'd start seeing money being invested into the sport by German companies. I don't know what participation levels from grassroots upwards are like in Germany, but I'm sure that has something to do with it as well.

Doesn't matter what the audience figures are, companies are not going to put money into a sport that is exclusively played by foreigners (at the top level at least).

Look at China for a good example of this. Snooker has been popular there for a long time, but it was only after the emergence of Ding Junhui that the events and money started to flood into snooker.

not even a German but for european Snooker to really take note amongst sponsors Luca Brecel is as massive as Ding Junhui was to china a decade ago.

Postby Skullman

Wildey wrote:not even a German but for european Snooker to really take note amongst sponsors Luca Brecel is as massive as Ding Junhui was to china a decade ago.

Has to get his act together then.

Postby Wildey

Allister Carter 4-5 Dechawat Poomjaeng
Ratchayothin Yotharuck 2-5 Jamie Burnett
Aditya Mehta 4-2 Joel Walker
Li Hang 3-5 Barry Hawkins
Marcus Campbell 1-4 Rod Lawler
Paul S Davison 5-2 Marco Fu

Postby SnookerFan

Blavdes wrote:Poomjaeng flitters between amateur and world class levels of play, rarely anything in-between, pretty strange.

You could argue that he's a strange guy. <laugh> Did he applaud himself out of the arena?

Big win for him though.

Postby hendry_fan

SnookerFan wrote:I'm tired.

Of what?,eatin kebabs and drinking beer?. ;-)

2 "Shocks" already so early in this tourney!. :dizzy:

Allister Carter 4-5 Dechawat Poomjaeng.

Paul S Davison 5-2 Marco Fu.

Postby GJ

Fu is such an enigma a very odd player , expected him to be a big test for robbo in round 3