World Championship Selby leads 1-0 - 2010 Quarter Final
Masters 1-1 - Both times in Finals Selby won the last in 2010

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Dafabet Masters - The Final: Mark Selby v Ronnie O'Sulli

Postby Andre147

GJ wrote:10-9 either way please

If that means a Ronnie win then yeah I'm all for it :-D

Plus it would mean Selby's first ever decider lost at the Masters, and no one better than Ronnie to do that in the Final frame of the Final.

Postby GJ

Hard match to call tbh

Selby really looked a different player today as if he was preparing himself a day early for ronnie just the feeling i got.

Ronnie did what he had to as he knew mags hadnt the belief and when mags started banging the cue ronnie knew the match was easy.

So for me its 50/50

Postby Roland

As I said in another thread I'm watching part 1 from 4-4 to remind myself what happened

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mPnEK0XiFo

Such high quality when these two meet. The ultimate match up, ultimate natural talent vs ultimate match play.

The fans of Ronnie hate Selby so much because he has the game to stop Ronnie playing which the other players don't have. The fans of Selby enjoy watching Ronnie because they appreciate the game of snooker, but if there's any hating it's at the Ronnie fans who hate Selby.

Let's have some fun :D

Postby Blavdes

Have to go with Selby here as I can see him picking up enough scrappy frames to make a difference. Ronnie's safety game over the last few years has been superb, but I can just see him getting frustrated in the latter stages after the umpteenth Selby generated scrappy frame will cause him to take some pot shots to give the title away.

If this goes 9-9 I'm turning the TV off before the inevitable happens.

Postby Andre147

I never hated Selby though, for me he's by far the best safety player around, close to Higgins when at his best, and one of the very best ever in winning scrappy frames and gaining snookers, plus is knowledge of the angles to escape from snookers for instance is nothing short of remarkable.

Of course as a Ronnie fan I don't like his victories against him, but just to remind you all I did say at the start of the tourney I'd prefer Selby against Ronnie in the final than an in theory easier opponent like Murphy, because I just love the Ronnie/Selby matches, such a contrast in styles, for me a good comparison is Alex Higgins/Steve Davis matchup when they met in tournaments.

Postby TheRocket

Blavdes wrote:Have to go with Selby here as I can see him picking up enough scrappy frames to make a difference. Ronnie's safety game over the last few years has been superb, but I can just see him getting frustrated in the latter stages after the umpteenth Selby generated scrappy frame will cause him to take some pot shots to give the title away.

Well, unfortunately I can't see the match tomorrow, maybe the very last frames, depends on the length of the match though. But yeah, when it comes to 9:9, it's probably better to switch off the TV, lol.

Postby Andre147

Blavdes wrote:Have to go with Selby here as I can see him picking up enough scrappy frames to make a difference. Ronnie's safety game over the last few years has been superb, but I can just see him getting frustrated in the latter stages after the umpteenth Selby generated scrappy frame will cause him to take some pot shots to give the title away.

Ronnie doesn't get frustrated after long safety play like he used to in the past for instance against Ebdon at the Worlds, and especially after Steve Peters came around.

Although it has to be said if most of the frames are scrappy and cagey, of course Selby has the advantage, hell, in that type of frame he has the advantage over anybody in the game atm, so I agree that just might prompt Ronnie into taking a silly pot and throwing the frame there.

For me though the match is 50/50, and as for the decider thing you mentioned... well if it happens I won't go as far as turning off the TV, but in a decider Ronnie's chances of winning are 25/30%.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:

Well, unfortunately I can't see the match tomorrow, maybe the very last frames, depends on the length of the match though. But yeah, when it comes to 9:9, it's probably better to switch off the TV, lol.

That's a shame :sad:

But if this goes 9-9, all hell will break loose...

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:Andre chill, I don't mean people like you.

Yeah I know Sonny, just thought about posting in saying the things I admire Selby the most.

Also, you think I made a good comparison between their matches and A.Higgins/Davis ones? I obviously wasn't born in that era but have watched many many videos of their matches and from comments I think that is the case.

Postby PLtheRef

Sonny wrote:As I said in another thread I'm watching part 1 from 4-4 to remind myself what happened

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mPnEK0XiFo

Such high quality when these two meet. The ultimate match up, ultimate natural talent vs ultimate match play.

The fans of Ronnie hate Selby so much because he has the game to stop Ronnie playing which the other players don't have. The fans of Selby enjoy watching Ronnie because they appreciate the game of snooker, but if there's any hating it's at the Ronnie fans who hate Selby.

Let's have some fun :D

Absolutely. Match of the 2010s so far was the 2010 Final.

It's a match we'd love to see contested over best of 35 at some point, but for now we'll have to settle for best of 19

Postby vodkadiet

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:I hope O'Sullivan wins as it means by the law of averages he won't win The World Championship.

:-D

You have 2009 in mind, right?

When was the last time a player won both in the same year? 2003?