Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters - The Final: Mark Selby v Ronnie O'Sulli

Postby Andre147

Also, one thing that surprisingly has been forgotten in here is that if Selby wins the Final tomorrow he'll be the first player to sucefully defend the Masters title since Paul Hunter back in 2002 and join Hunter, Hendry and Thorburn on that list.

Postby Blavdes

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Blavdes wrote:Have to go with Selby here as I can see him picking up enough scrappy frames to make a difference. Ronnie's safety game over the last few years has been superb, but I can just see him getting frustrated in the latter stages after the umpteenth Selby generated scrappy frame will cause him to take some pot shots to give the title away.

If this goes 9-9 I'm turning the TV off before the inevitable happens.

Ronnie doesn't get frustrated after long safety play like he used to in the past for instance against Ebdon at the Worlds, and especially after Steve Peters came around.

Although it has to be said if most of the frames are scrappy and cagey, of course Selby has the advantage, hell, in that type of frame he has the advantage over anybody in the game atm, so I agree that just might prompt Ronnie into taking a silly pot and throwing the frame there.

For me though the match is 50/50, and as for the decider thing you mentioned... well if it happens I won't go as far as turning off the TV, but in a decider Ronnie's chances of winning are 25/30%.

Great points :-)

The truth is I'm just mentally preparing myself for a potential Ronnie meltdown so I can just sigh 'here we go again' instead of throwing the remote at the TV <laugh>

Postby vodkadiet

The overall standard in this event has been pitifully low, with the exception of O'Sullivan(Friday), and Selby today. This final should make up for the garbage of the previous week.

Postby Andre147

Ronnie on playing Selby at the Final:

"I used to get frustrated playing Mark, with the pace of the game – I lost rhythm and concentration.

“But since working with Dr Steve Peters I am better equipped at handling situations and my emotions, and I leave the frustration until afterwards.

“He has got to lose a deciding frame of a match here eventually – if it goes that far. 11 out of 11 is a fantastic record but I am not sure Mark will be happy with it.

“He would be happier winning 10-2 or 6-0, you don’t get paid for overtime in this game."

<laugh> Ronnie will just be hoping he doesn't have to win on the decider, although I'd love if he were the first player to beat him on one.

http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/j ... 9q0tc96pdq
Last edited by Andre147 on 19 Jan 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

PLtheRef wrote:
Sonny wrote:As I said in another thread I'm watching part 1 from 4-4 to remind myself what happened

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mPnEK0XiFo

Such high quality when these two meet. The ultimate match up, ultimate natural talent vs ultimate match play.

The fans of Ronnie hate Selby so much because he has the game to stop Ronnie playing which the other players don't have. The fans of Selby enjoy watching Ronnie because they appreciate the game of snooker, but if there's any hating it's at the Ronnie fans who hate Selby.

Let's have some fun :D

Absolutely. Match of the 2010s so far was the 2010 Final.

It's a match we'd love to see contested over best of 35 at some point, but for now we'll have to settle for best of 19

What about the 2010 UK final? I think that was even better.

Postby PLtheRef

Andre147 PGC wrote:Also, one thing that surprisingly has been forgotten in here is that if Selby wins the Final tomorrow he'll be the first player to sucefully defend the Masters title since Paul Hunter back in 2002 and join Hunter, Hendry and Thorburn on that list.

Was just about to bring that up. I remember being in Blackpool for the 2002 final, and it seems rather frightening that its 10 years since Paul won his final Masters.

No-ones lost in two successive Masters finals for them since Doherty lost to Stevens. In O'Sullivan's case it was 1997 when he reached two Masters finals without winning

Postby Snooker Overdrive

vodkadiet wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:I hope O'Sullivan wins as it means by the law of averages he won't win The World Championship.

:-D

You have 2009 in mind, right?

When was the last time a player won both in the same year? 2003?

When was the last time a World Champion successfully defended his title prior to last year? 1996.

Postby TheRocket

Snooker Overdrive wrote:As tough as this match will be for Ronnie, it's also his chance to settle the score. The 2010 final was probably the worst Ronnie defeat I have ever witnessed. I still hurts thinking about it. And the only way to exorcise demons is by Ronnie beating Selby tomorrow, I feel.

I still feel, 2006 was worse. He was 60+ ahead in the decider before missing a sitter which caused a huge Higgins clearance. 2004 was also horrible. You know, when it comes to the Masters, Ronnie is a little bit like Jimmy White. I know, Ron won it 4 times but he lost 5 finals here, and expect the final in 95 where he played Hendry, he was about to win in all of the other 4 finals.

He should have won far more titles here. Good thing is though that when it comes to the two other majors, the more important ones, World and UK, he has a final record of 100%, having won all of his 5 World finals and 4 UK finals.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:Also, one thing that surprisingly has been forgotten in here is that if Selby wins the Final tomorrow he'll be the first player to sucefully defend the Masters title since Paul Hunter back in 2002 and join Hunter, Hendry and Thorburn on that list.

I think it could be a slight advantage to Ronnie that Selby is defending champion. It's just that little bit of extra pressure on Selby, I think.

Postby vodkadiet

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:I hope O'Sullivan wins as it means by the law of averages he won't win The World Championship.

:-D

You have 2009 in mind, right?

When was the last time a player won both in the same year? 2003?

When was the last time a World Champion successfully defended his title prior to last year? 1996.

Correct. And before that it was 1995.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:As tough as this match will be for Ronnie, it's also his chance to settle the score. The 2010 final was probably the worst Ronnie defeat I have ever witnessed. I still hurts thinking about it. And the only way to exorcise demons is by Ronnie beating Selby tomorrow, I feel.

I still feel, 2006 was worse. He was 60+ ahead in the decider before missing a sitter which caused a huge Higgins clearance. 2004 was also horrible. You know, when it comes to the Masters, Ronnie is a little bit like Jimmy White. I know, Ron won it 4 times but he lost 5 finals here, and expect the final in 95 where he played Hendry, he was about to win in all of the other 4 finals.

He should have won far more titles here. Good thing is though that when it comes to the two other majors, the more important ones, World and UK, he has a final record of 100%, having won all of his 5 World finals and 4 UK finals.

The Hendry final was 1996, 1995 Ronnie won against Higgins 9-3.

And yeah 1997 he led 8-4, lost 10,8, 2004 led 7-2, lost 10-9, 2006 led 60 nil in the decider, lost on one of the most impressive frame winning breaks under those circumstances and finally in 2010 lost 10-9 from 9-6 up.

Postby Andre147

But if you read some of those quotes from Ronnie I posted here he now respects Selby's game a hell of a lot more, doesn't get so frustrated when things go slow and especially isn't so critical on himself when things don't go his way.

Also I agree SO being defending Champ may just put a tad more pressure on Selby like it did at the UK Champs last year. Also, in 2010 Ronnie was the defending Champ as opposed to here.

Postby Roland

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
I think it could be a slight advantage to Ronnie that Selby is defending champion. It's just that little bit of extra pressure on Selby, I think.

It won't be a factor. The main thing is get to 10 before Ronnie, he won't be thinking about defending, that's just something you can say after if he wins. The fact he has already won it 3 times means he won't bottle it if he gets close to the winning line.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:

I didn't watch snooker back then in early 2006. I started in late 2006 with the legendary Northern Ireland Trophy :-D

But of course I watched that final frame on YouTube and I remember watching that the first time, I couldn't believe how that red went in and that Higgins played the double. But as I didn't watch it live and I knew Ronnie lost, watching that didn't hurt so much. I can't even imagine what it would feel like if something like this would happen tomorrow for example.

Postby Andre147

My first tournament I watched was the 2005 Worlds that Murphy won, but back then as I didn't know snooekr I only watched in patches and not all the tournaments, so sadly (maybe not so) missed that 2006 Masters Final, but I always watch many matches on it's full lengh, not just one frame on Youtube so I know how that Final went.

Ronnie started like a train, led 3 nil and in frames 2 and 3 had total clearances of 130s breaks, but from then on some great safety play from Higgins granted him 5 frames in a row to lead 5-3 in the first session.

In the evening one Ronnie soon drew level but Higgins made it 7-5 at the MSI but Ronnie again leveled the match with another ton, his 3rd, and Higgins had a golden chance at 8-7 to lead 9-7 but missed a sitter of a final black with the rest, Ronnie potted it, leveled again, then went 9-8 up. Higgins though forced the decider and the rest is history.
Last edited by Andre147 on 19 Jan 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Sonny wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

It won't be a factor. The main thing is get to 10 before Ronnie, he won't be thinking about defending, that's just something you can say after if he wins. The fact he has already won it 3 times means he won't bottle it if he gets close to the winning line.

I disagree. Defending a major is huge in snooker. Only the best of the best have done it. No player wants to let go off that title and trophy. And that adds that little bit of extra pressure, Crucible curse and so forth. I'm not saying it will be a huge factor but deep down Mark will be thinking about it.

At least I was thinking about it a lot in 2010 :roll:

Postby Andre147

Yeah I agree deep down when things are really close in the Final session some thoughts like those may cross his mind, a feat that hasn't been done as I said since the late Paul Hunter in 2002 in dramatic circumstances, all of his Finals were.

Postby PLtheRef

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:
Sonny wrote:As I said in another thread I'm watching part 1 from 4-4 to remind myself what happened

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mPnEK0XiFo

Such high quality when these two meet. The ultimate match up, ultimate natural talent vs ultimate match play.

The fans of Ronnie hate Selby so much because he has the game to stop Ronnie playing which the other players don't have. The fans of Selby enjoy watching Ronnie because they appreciate the game of snooker, but if there's any hating it's at the Ronnie fans who hate Selby.

Let's have some fun :D

Absolutely. Match of the 2010s so far was the 2010 Final.

It's a match we'd love to see contested over best of 35 at some point, but for now we'll have to settle for best of 19

What about the 2010 UK final? I think that was even better.

No word of a lie, we had a powercut 10 minutes before the final session of that match started. I rang my grandma at about 9:20 and they were saying it had been a good tournament so I presumed Williams had gone on and killed it off 10-2 or 10-3

Personally having watched the Final on the Monday night I do think that the Masters Final was the better of the two. Both were dramatic finals and are remembered fondly by snooker fans but I think the Masters had something extra. Both were consistent at the top of their form. Whilst Higgins pulled off a terrific fightback, particularly when Williams had him requiring snookers; You don't lose a final 10-9 having led 7-2 and 9-5 without faltering at some part of the contest. The 2010 Masters Final, though featuring a comeback, didn't feature that.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Sonny wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

I disagree. Defending a major is huge in snooker. Only the best of the best have done it. No player wants to let go off that title and trophy. And that adds that little bit of extra pressure, Crucible curse and so forth. I'm not saying it will be a huge factor but deep down Mark will be thinking about it.

At least I was thinking about it a lot in 2010 :roll:

EDIT:
From the psychological perspective the defending champion has a disadvantage, just think about it. The other finalist is sees the final as a chance to win the title, the defending champ sees the match as a danger of losing his hard earned title.

Postby Andre147

It always creates a bit more pressure defending a Major title and only the true greats manage to do such a feat. of course Selby won't be thinking about it first session, but in the closing stages of tomorrow's evening one I think he will just a tad, as I also think he had some of those thoughts in his UK Champs Final against Robbo, and I know it's very easy to say this because Selby lost, but even a winner of a sucessfully defended Major title had at some point in the match those thoughts, it's inevitable I'm afraid.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:One thing is for certain, I won't get carried away should Ronnie get a good lead. I have seen it all before.

Exactly, me too. Take it one frame at a time and not get carried away.

Unless he leads something like 9-2 rofl Even the great comeback Selby wouldn't be able to comeback from such a deficit.

Of course we all know such a deficit will never happen in a million years at this Final.

Postby Blavdes

Would be great to have Steve Peters on the front row just in case of a decider he can put Ronnie into a Buddha pose for 5mins with tea-towel on head to get into a zen moment to melt Selby's brain. I've seen the future.
Last edited by Blavdes on 19 Jan 2014, edited 1 time in total.