Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters - The Final: Mark Selby v Ronnie O'Sulli

Postby Blavdes

Because I remember the amount of times Ronnie has given away important matches and titles, but people act like he's cured when the truth is it wouldn't take much of a shift in his mental state at his age for him to not be able to beat Robertson at his peak for example.

In a utopian world where his personal life goes smoothly for the next 20years and he continues to see the Dr regularly then yes I have no problems believing he'll still be competing when he's 50 for example but life and certainly Ronnie's life has never been that simple. Essentially I expect there to be bumps in the road away from snooker that will cause him to lose the motivation that's required to perform at that level. It's my opinion that it wouldn't take much away from the felt for him to lose that competitive edge at his age, but I'd be delighted to be proven wrong :-)

Postby SnookerFan

Blavdes wrote:Because I remember the amount of times Ronnie has given away important matches and titles, but people act like he's cured when the truth is it wouldn't take much of a shift in his mental state at his age for him to not be able to beat Robertson at his peak for example.

In a utopian world where his personal life goes smoothly for the next 20years and he continues to see the Dr regularly then yes I have no problems believing he'll still be competing when he's 50 for example but life and certainly Ronnie's life has never been that simple. Essentially I expect there to be bumps in the road away from snooker that will cause him to lose the motivation that's required to perform at that level. It's my opinion that it wouldn't take much away from the felt for him to lose that competitive edge at his age, but I'd be delighted to be proven wrong :-)

I'll probably be slammed for dissing Ronnie when he's just won a trophy, but I can see your point.

His play this week has been all but perfect. To say he was the best player in the tournament this week seems an understatement. But it wasn't that long ago he was snake hissing about in the German qualifiers, and he nearly refused to enter The Masters don't forget.

Whether you're a fan or not though, I think we can all agree that we'd rather be talking about Ronnie's snooker, than Ronnie's actions off the table. And his snooker this week has been very, very good.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

It annoys me on here the ageist attitudes of some, you seem to think a player should just bow out and quit when he reaches a certain age. Wild, I think is the worst offender. He takes it as a personal insult if Davis or White beat a young player.

Here's how sport works people, a guy will reach his peak, dominate for a few years, his performance declines a touch throu age, comfortable living, lack of hunger which coincides with a fresh gang of up and coming youngsters and the decline can be quite swift in that scenario.

That's the trouble with snooker, the current crop of youngsters are useless and not champion material, iv read the term mental midgets on here a few times and totally agree. It not Davis, Higgins, Ronnie's fault there still top snooker players.

Postby SnookerFan

I don't necessarily agree that the younger players are mental midgets. Nothing you could do about Ronnie playing the way he was. Even Selby struggled, and no matter what some div in the crowd said last night, he's not a mug. Selby is one of the top players in the world, and couldn't find his feet against Ronnie.

I do agree though that age means nothing. If you're good enough, what your birth certificate says should have no bearing. It's up to the young players no retire off the big names if they're that much better.

Postby mantorok

I reckon there might have been a little inspiration from the likes of Phil Taylor for Ronnie, that man has proved that age is not a defining factor.

Sure, you can't compare Darts to Snooker, but Taylor was the only player at his age to still be competing at that level, and I think even Davis showed that at 50 you could still compete.

Ronnie for me has at least another 10 years in him.

Postby mantorok

I also don't understand this whole jester from leicester bid, the guy has about as much personality as a wet flannel, he's so predictable and formal when he talks.

Why is he the jester again? He's not funny, and he's a pretty dull chap IMO

Postby snooker_loopy

I think it's because when he first came on the scene and rising up the rankings he would make a few gestures or jokes with the audience and he was given the nickname "jester". However, I don't recall much of that sort of thing in the last few years. Who knows, he might be a right laugh off the snooker table. Seems unlikely, though. :-D

Postby Wildey

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:It annoys me on here the ageist attitudes of some, you seem to think a player should just bow out and quit when he reaches a certain age. Wild, I think is the worst offender. He takes it as a personal insult if Davis or White beat a young player.

Here's how sport works people, a guy will reach his peak, dominate for a few years, his performance declines a touch throu age, comfortable living, lack of hunger which coincides with a fresh gang of up and coming youngsters and the decline can be quite swift in that scenario.

That's the trouble with snooker, the current crop of youngsters are useless and not champion material, iv read the term mental midgets on here a few times and totally agree. It not Davis, Higgins, Ronnie's fault there still top snooker players.

i dont take it as a personal insult but Davis and White have been hasbeens for the best part of 15 years so i think it is pathetic if the potential of young players cant beat hasbeens.

its time to step up or find another job.

only 16 under 30 and 5 under 25 in the top 64 just not good enough.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

What Ronnie did this last week can be best described as a demonstration of power.

In 2007 he had to come back against Ken Doherty being 5-4 down in the quarter finals, in 2009 Perry he was only couple of shots away from being knocked out in the first round. This year he hammered all of his 4 opponents and bloody hell, he could have finished Milkins, Maguire and Selby even quicker than he already has. Ronnie was never in any real danger in this entire tournament and that's remarkable. Last time I saw such a comfortable win in a major was the 2008 World Championship. He proved in the Champion of Champions that he can win any tournament even if he's not on his A game, but boy he showed here at the Masters what happens if he is.

Postby Blavdes

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:It annoys me on here the ageist attitudes of some, you seem to think a player should just bow out and quit when he reaches a certain age. Wild, I think is the worst offender. He takes it as a personal insult if Davis or White beat a young player.

It's just proven time and again in every sport that it's rare for top sporstmen to be competing for titltes after 40.

Having slept on it I feel that maybe there's not much that can go too wrong for Ronnie off the felt. So long as he keeps running which shouldn't be a problem, keeps seeing the Doc which shouldn't be a problem and he gets married to Laila then he'll be settled.

It's a good sign that he's referenced Tom Watson in one of his interviews I read this morning. It shows he's still looking for inspiration and I think he's genuinely motivated by Hendry's 7 titles as well as needing to pay his kids through education over the next 10+years :-D

mantorok wrote:I also don't understand this whole jester from leicester bid, the guy has about as much personality as a wet flannel, he's so predictable and formal when he talks.

Why is he the jester again? He's not funny, and he's a pretty dull chap IMO

I do find it incredible how amazingly vapid both Selby and Robertson are, I mean jesus christ it's like they are having a competition between themselves who can answer every question in the dullest manner possible. There is a huge gap waiting to be filled for a personality in the game other than Ronnie, but these two seem to take themselves way too seriously. Cheer the buck up guys :-D

Postby GJ

Blah

You call those 2 dull personality wise , the dullest is the man who after every win repeats the same drivel

I would like to congratulate player x on a great tournament even if he beats them early on in the tournament talk about patronising.

Now that's dull

His snooker is great but that nonsense is boring.

Postby Holden Chinaski

mantorok wrote:I reckon there might have been a little inspiration from the likes of Phil Taylor for Ronnie, that man has proved that age is not a defining factor.

Sure, you can't compare Darts to Snooker, but Taylor was the only player at his age to still be competing at that level, and I think even Davis showed that at 50 you could still compete.

Ronnie for me has at least another 10 years in him.

Ronnie has mentioned a couple of times he's inspired by golfer Tom Watson, who played great golf into his sixties.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-spo ... t0SvhCwrIU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Watson_(golfer)

Postby TheRocket

Must agree with GJ here regarding this I just wanna congratulate thing. I don't know if Ronnie just keeps saying it unconsciously and just by custom but it really sounds dull now because he's been doing this since 2012 or like that. He's trying to be respectful and generally praises his opponents heavily, not only with this sentence but in others too, but it doesn't sound really cool if you even do this against a man, who got destroyed by you like Milkins or Walden.

But nevertheless it's still a better attitude than someone like Trumps, who doesn't show any respect for his opponents, whasoever and act like a 10 times World Champ or like that.

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:Must agree with GJ here regarding this I just wanna congratulate thing. I don't know if Ronnie just keeps saying it unconsciously and just by custom but it really sounds dull now because he's been doing this since 2012 or like that. He's trying to be respectful and generally praises his opponents heavily, not only with this sentence but in others too, but it doesn't sound really cool if you even do this against a man, who got destroyed by you like Milkins or Walden.

But nevertheless it's still a better attitude than someone like Trumps, who doesn't show any respect for his opponents, whasoever and act like a 10 times World Champ or like that.

Over the years Ronnie and Hendry not to mention Alex Higgins has shown disrespect to their opponents.

Sport is like that....Showing Respect is Boring.

i cant criticize Judd for that.

Postby Cannonball

I'm incredibly disappointed in Judd's attitude to snooker and life. His FB page from 'team trump' mainly show pictures of cars he wants to own one day. 2 hrs of practice a day and off shoe shopping it is. This from a guy who as a kid stood on a milk crate to reach the table and pot balls in Bristol. He was a harder worker at ten than he is now! I see a Premiership footballer hiding in the skin of a snooker player. If he had some of Hendry's desire and work ethic, he's be top of the pile already. He's quite arrogant and has yet to realise the basic truth; he's not good enough. We all thought that a potting heir to White had arrived, but he seems to have gone AWOL.

The only thing stopping Ronnie eclipsing Hendry and the only reason he hasn't already is lack of desire and personality problems. He only seemed half interested in the Masters and his joy appeared to be one of being glad to get through and win, rather than joy of love for the game. He's still got one foot in the water, one out. But he's got the Doctor sitting next to him, telling him how to cope with one foot being wet and cold, so he carries on. The next legend (to follow Davis>Hendry>Ronnie) will probably be Chinese. Because there are some very good young players coming along in China and they certainly do have hunger and a great work ethic.

Postby TheRocket

Judd Trump has great skills and talent but I think he indeed has an attitude problem. Ronnie had it at times too in the past but at the same time he worked very very hard for his success, especially for his first World Title. He always have had this natural skills which makes it easier for him but he worked as hard as anyone , he just wanted to be a perfectionist and realized that he is only human who can have up and downs.

But Trump, you know I think he is just a typical adolescent of nowadays, posting these party fotos and pictures on Facebook, twittering silly stuff. And these things just influences your attitude regarding Snooker too. Same thing probably applies to Lisowski too.

Postby Andy Spark

Andre147 PGC wrote:I could never comment on a "only Rooniefans forum" though...

There's just too many BS in those and they are so biased towards him it's unbelievable... Thank God a place like SI exists. :hatoff:

Probably just as well!

Postby Cannonball

Andy Spark wrote:

There's just too many BS in those and they are so biased towards him it's unbelievable... Thank God a place like SI exists. :hatoff:

Probably just as well!

Snooker Island is a small forum with only a few posters who have an axe to grind, are very bitter about their lives it seems and hate anyone with any talent who does not follow their rules of behaviour. Ronnie may not be perfect, has done much that I hope he regrets but is trying without medication (that would be the recommended course from a GP) to solve his personality disorder (running + counseling). For this, he deserves some credit. Many would just hit the bottle (Higgins) or hit the drugs and lose everything. However, two thing stands out; this is a snooker forum and he is by a very long way, the most talented man to have ever held a cue and it's all the pros who say that, including Hendry. So if people glorify the snooker that Ronnie can almost magically create, on a snooker forum - ADUH!

Postby Cannonball

TheRocket wrote:Judd Trump has great skills and talent but I think he indeed has an attitude problem. Ronnie had it at times too in the past but at the same time he worked very very hard for his success, especially for his first World Title. He always have had this natural skills which makes it easier for him but he worked as hard as anyone , he just wanted to be a perfectionist and realized that he is only human who can have up and downs.

But Trump, you know I think he is just a typical adolescent of nowadays, posting these party fotos and pictures on Facebook, twittering silly stuff. And these things just influences your attitude regarding Snooker too. Same thing probably applies to Lisowski too.

I couldn't agree with you more. This is why I think and hope that the next big thing comes from China; simply to demonstrate a different attitude to life, work and snooker. It would be good for the growth of the game. Kids in this country grow up very spoilt, believing that the least they do is an achievement. That living the high life without doing much to justify it is an end in itself. Bingham in the exception, someone my friends know. They told him he'd never make it. They didn't figure on coaching, hard work and desire. If Trump et al. applied Bingham's ethics, they'd be utterly brilliant.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Trumpster wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:

Probably just as well!

Snooker Island is a small forum with only a few posters who have an axe to grind, are very bitter about their lives it seems and hate anyone with any talent who does not follow their rules of behaviour. Ronnie may not be perfect, has done much that I hope he regrets but is trying without medication (that would be the recommended course from a GP) to solve his personality disorder (running + counseling). For this, he deserves some credit. Many would just hit the bottle (Higgins) or hit the drugs and lose everything. However, two thing stands out; this is a snooker forum and he is by a very long way, the most talented man to have ever held a cue and it's all the pros who say that, including Hendry. So if people glorify the snooker that Ronnie can almost magically create, on a snooker forum - ADUH!

There's a lot of ronnie fans on here and I'd rather read their posts than yours.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Wildey wrote:

i dont take it as a personal insult but Davis and White have been hasbeens for the best part of 15 years so i think it is pathetic if the potential of young players cant beat hasbeens.

its time to step up or find another job.

only 16 under 30 and 5 under 25 in the top 64 just not good enough.

Indeed! Davis an jimmy would have chucked it long ago if the young team were beating their asses every week. Fair play to them for sticking to it thou.

Postby Cannonball

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:
Trumpster wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:

Probably just as well!

There's a lot of ronnie fans on here and I'd rather read their posts than yours.

pmsl

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:What Ronnie did this last week can be best described as a demonstration of power.

In 2007 he had to come back against Ken Doherty being 5-4 down in the quarter finals, in 2009 Perry he was only couple of shots away from being knocked out in the first round. This year he hammered all of his 4 opponents and bloody hell, he could have finished Milkins, Maguire and Selby even quicker than he already has. Ronnie was never in any real danger in this entire tournament and that's remarkable. Last time I saw such a comfortable win in a major was the 2008 World Championship. He proved in the Champion of Champions that he can win any tournament even if he's not on his A game, but boy he showed here at the Masters what happens if he is.

Yeah he has showed in his recent tournament wins that he can blow everyone off the table and win easily like he had in the past or when the pressure is oh him he too raises his game. That century break Ronnie made in the decider against Robbo at the CoC is just sheer brilliant, it wasn't an easy break by any means and the pressure was truly on, but he kept himself together well to win, plus he cameback from 5-3 down to beat Ding and withstood a wonderful Bingham play in the Final to beat him 10-8.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Judd Trump has great skills and talent but I think he indeed has an attitude problem. Ronnie had it at times too in the past but at the same time he worked very very hard for his success, especially for his first World Title. He always have had this natural skills which makes it easier for him but he worked as hard as anyone , he just wanted to be a perfectionist and realized that he is only human who can have up and downs.

You're absolutely right, Trump needs to sort out that attitude he has because he really should be challeging for Major tournaments recently and maybe win some of them like Selby, Robbo and Ding have. I notice that when he loses he never ever says it was his opponent who played well, he always says it was a bad run of the ball and unlucky at times rofl In Trump's case, he's probably one of the luckiest players around for that matter because he does get a lot of fluked balls given the way he powers them in and often gets lucky nudges that othewise could compromise his break.

What he doesn't seem to understand is that it's not how much luck you get in a match, but what you make from that luck. Ronnie for instance if he has a fluke or good run of the ball he always makes the most of that, same for other top players too. Trump though from a lucky part in a match atm doesn't seem to make the most of that, and that's his own fault.

Don't get me wrong, the kid has got loads of talent, but he should really be making the most of it. Maybe this recent phase is just a period and he'll soon rediscover his form that led him to win the UK, China Open, IC and reach the Worlds Final.

Postby Muppet147

GJ wrote:Blah

You call those 2 dull personality wise , the dullest is the man who after every win repeats the same drivel

I would like to congratulate player x on a great tournament even if he beats them early on in the tournament talk about patronising.

Now that's dull

His snooker is great but that nonsense is boring.

I wouldn't like to congratulate Robbo on a great tournament...he played like marmite and deserved to be thrashed by Maguire. He was actually lucky because if he had beaten Maguire, Ronnie would have eaten him for breakfast the way he was playing.

Postby snookerfan97

Who are this young players that Barry Hearn talked about last week, of how they'll rock the scene at the Crucible ? He said that the youngsters are now ready.Which youngsters ? Lisowski, Brecel, M White ? You've got to be kidding me, they are poor players, they haven't got the game to mix it with "the big boys".The only top players under 30 years of age are Ding and Trump, and Judd has been poor for more than a year now.I really don't see a youngster coming trough, it's the opposite, I think that Higgins might come back to his best, and the likes of MJW or Stevens will be back in the Top16.One more thing, think about who are the most improved players recently: Bingham,Milkins,M davis,Perry and Fu, none of them is young player